Wod was the best pvp expansion ever

Wod was bad sure but class design was better, and it had the best pvp gearing system this game has ever had (other than RNG ashran trinkets)

7 Likes

I realize a lot of people like mop but I’m surprised more people aren’t mentioning wrath/cata. I had a lot of fun in both of those expansions. Tbh mop way too homogenized because everybody had every tool and it was ridiculous imo which is why I don’t disagree in principle to the idea of pruning. People these days are like BUT I HAD BUTTONS but to me it felt like we all had a lot of buttons but they were basically all the same buttons so it to me it felt kind of hollow. It is for this reason that I don’t think mop was as great as previous expansions like wrath. I quit midway through mop until end is s1 BFA so to me mop just wasn’t that great I actually disagreed with the design in significant ways.

Edit: my post reads poorly but I’m just going to leave it as is because I’ve had a few and am too lazy to redo it. Point still stands even if the writing is poor.

1 Like

wod was far more pvp-alt friendly for me than bfa.

was a lot of fun getting to arena from pretty much every class perspective, while still being competitive gear wise. I’d play thousands of games through different classes, get a 2k here and there, and it was a blast.
this game is at it’s most fun when I can do that.

4 Likes

I liked WoD a lot. I enjoyed the base building, recruiting NPCs, and most other things that were garrison related. I was in a place in my life where I could only dedicate about 1-2 hours per play session. WoD did really well at rewarding short bursts of PvE with shiny stuff, story elements, etc. And I really like that, for a time, there wasn’t any flying in WoD. I liked being forced back into the terrain to navigate. World PvP sparked back up more on my server.

It was also a great creative time for the animation side of things. Those bite sized animated vids leading up to release were fun. The main cinematic to WoD is still one of my favorites of all time.

Vanilla is my favorite flavor. WotLK is my favorite xpac. WoD is solidly on the list of good releases.

2 Likes

I didn’t like WoD at all. It’s the first expansion that made me quit after playing since wotlk.

I did prefer it over BfA though, we atleast had a good gearing system and proper pvp rewards (the gorilla gladiator mount aside)

2 Likes

every xpac after mop was garbage
every xpac before mop was amazing
what brand of mop do u guys use

3 Likes

Wrath and Cata say hi, Legion can be arguably better if you value the game not being as scripted on top of more comp and class diversity plus playstyle differences. Legion was more pruned than WoD but that’s the only thing in that category that has value.

Either way anything after MoP hasn’t been as good lol

13 Likes

What are you guys on about? BFA is the best pvp expansion to ever grace this game
 Thanks to BFA I became a 2400 rogue in no other expansion was that possible for me god bless RMPala for being a 3000iq skill comp stay mad idiots.

1 Like

there was definitely better than wod

1 Like

I mean WoD classes felt more unique tbh, I only played mage/pala/Druid back then but they were pretty fun as compared to now.

Obv balance between classes wasn’t “better” but I enjoyed the way the classes played a lot more as-well as gearing. RiP glove bonus and pvp trinket set bonus. I think that’s what people mean by it was better not the actual comp balance.

3 Likes

WoD was the last great PvP expansion.

5 Likes

I had a lot of fun in Wod,

Wasn’t wrath level but was definately more fun then legion and bfa.

2 Likes

ah yes. good ol wod. the expansion that killed hunters.

PvP in WoD was great. Everything seemed strong and viable. It was the last iteration of good class design since legion destroyed classes. MoP was still the best PvP expansion though IMO

1 Like

Idk why you constantly say legion was better than wod. It 110% was not, by any measure.

Like bro these forums exploded when Dinoe took double spriest rsham link talent to 2800?

Demo warlock clown fiesta pet brigade making it impossible to see anything?

Boomy spriest meta?

Destro/dk meta??

I agree with u a lot but son this is horrid take.

I’ll take scripted gameplay over less tools and ways to punish horrid players like Bworldtko

2 Likes

yes the season that saw shadowmourne

and

The season that saw ulduar healing mace still being top for healers.

That was almost as dumb as current.

I knew a warrior that got Glad in s8 playing disc rdruid arms war. Don’t even come with that kind of dumb

2 Likes

Not based on the actual stupid metas, but I just based it on later on in the xpacs potential as well as overall valuing good class kits, unique playstyles/options to see player differences, and comp diversity

WoD had better class kits generally, didn’t really have that many dumb metas but at the same time was pretty much extremely stagnant as what was good the entire xpac. Very little changed and the game was just super scripted. Every mage, paladin, priest, hunter etc. all played the exact same way. It definitely lowers a lot of my views on an xpac because of that.

Legion had a bunch of very stupid metas and miserable things going on for it, but at least by the end it felt like you eventually got to a point that you could stand out on how you played your character or comp. Seeing top end players have differences in playstyles is one of the things I value extremely high as well as comp diversity which again late legion had.

My opinion on BfA isn’t fully formed because I feel it has more potential to get to a state like what I described with legion but also has a large number of general systems issues with it (gearing is a big one).

Overall though to me I find the most important thing is seeing how a player can stand out from someone on his same class because every choice/comp isn’t just easily solved. That’s why I rate WoD so poorly. We had more buttons and good gearing, but our buttons still didn’t really let us do anything crazy with it since again, every option was just solved anyways. Even making an “outplay” was kind of expected just because you know fighting a mage for example all you’re going to do is focus on stopping deep sheeps and their entire set up is so scripted that everyone knows what’s going to happen.

Legion had a ton of stupid metas, Phierz shouldn’t have been above 1400 etc. but I think every xpac even the good ones have had stuff like that until later on. WoD never really had clown fiestas, it just was the same start to finish really.

One thing we can all bond over

Evvvvverrrryyyyy expansion from wrath on was better than BFA lol.

1 Like

I agree with Dilly

I’m sorry wod fan kids but the expansion was trash like bfa, not superior

bc/wotlk/cata/mop was the true pvp

2 Likes

View depends on what class you played etc, I enjoyed legion disc 100x more than wod disc, but i enjoyed wod hpal over legion/bfa hpal, and the wod meta was kinda gross but I still view it better than legion but we are comparing sht with newer sht

1 Like