With Final Fantasy Surpassing WoW

Do you think this’ll be a wake-up slap for Blizzard to make wow less terrible?

…dare I say? Maybe they’ll make the game… good?

50 Likes

The nature of the data is somewhat questionable (eg: the relationship between active players and sentiment and web site/search popularity is not clear), but additional competition will hopefully encourage blizzard to do things more in line with what the community wants.

34 Likes

I have play almost continuously since 2014 and honestly I don’t believe population is that low. Wod felt low in 6.2, BFA felt low tell 8.3 but this expac doesn’t feel like those times so far.

Now don’t get me wrong I’d love for it to true because blizzard would be backed into a corner and thats when they put out the good stuff but I just don’t see it heck wow content consumption on twitch and you tube is higher than ever.

4 Likes

Nope, they don’t pay the current development team enough to care… And it seems management has hard time to right this ship…

3 Likes

No, because they aren’t surpassing WoW and the data is nonsense, even on it’s own terms.

29 Likes

The problem is they’re trying to measure players using social media sentiment, so even some games which have been shut down have significant player populations according to this data.

Maybe ffxiv has surpassed retail wow, but the data they used doesn’t really provide good indications of active players, so any comparison is largely meaningless.

I don’t have an opinion on which game has more active players (I don’t really have any way to compare them), my only criticism is just the data collection methodology.

9 Likes

final fantasy surpassing wow? what? even the ff14 devs play wow dude. ff14 is good but not that good . the next expansion is still far and people are playing a two year old expansion with nothing new. unless glamor and fc house is your jam

4 Likes

Idk, man. Hubris is hard to beat.

1 Like

Is this the new bait thread topic or do some people believe these ‘rankings’ mean anything.

4 Likes

“Surpassing” is kind of LOL, but I’m all for WoW having some honest to dog competition for once. They’ll either make WoW better to let their cash cow die.

I’m actually thinking about trying FF14’s free trial just to mess with their character creation. I’ve seen enough game play that I’m not interested. But, damn, I wish WoW took customization seriously, instead of making some nice new options for a few races then being like “Welp, we’re not doing that anymore.” Hurts even more coming from a Nightborne.

8 Likes

Its a little more relevant now that we see our characters face and outfits in cutscenes.
90% of the time otherwise im looking at my backside.

2 Likes

No, I don’t think the remaining devs care anymore. Administrators probably run the show and this game will be milked for every dollar they can get out of it, that’s all WoW will be from now until the servers are shut down.

14 Likes

Regardless of player numbers, i don’t think blizzard will make major chances in the game. Blizzard don’t need to rely just on monthly subs, they could just do a mount store and people will pay. Blizzard seems ok with the players buying the expansion and playing for just a month because they’ll come back in the next one. Blizzard just need to hype it with a cool cinematic.

And to be honest, in the case of player count getting too low, i think blizzard would prefer do overmonetyze the game instead of hearing player feedback and try to improve it.

4 Likes

How do you know FF is surpassing anything? As far as I know, Square only releases their numbers on registered accounts, not actually active accounts.

5 Likes

You can play all the way thru the end of the first expac on the free trial, you just cant use the mailbox.

1 Like

Blizz wants out of the Mmorpg business and remember Blizz literally let Diablo 3 die.

8 Likes

Or join an FC or trade with other people/use the marketboard, unless they lifted those restrictions.

It’s like the bathroom in the BK downtown.

2 Likes

Maybe it’s better on the horde side, but it’s gotten to the point where it’s very difficult to do anything on the alliance side. I never saw it even half this dead during WOD - even at the end of the drought.

8 Likes

Since it’s the same data that lists 13k active users playing Wildstar, I question the source. But wouldn’t be surprised either if it were true.

3 Likes