Will we ever get a dev reason for the change of heart on RDF?

It feels very strange that this tool was so heavily fought against and you even went so far as to create these brand new design pillars of ideology to justify not including RDF. You had all of these forum, reddit, and twitter posts explaining why this was something that had to be kept out to nurture and protect all of these classic beliefs but then immediately walked it back for the last phase of the expac? Will there ever be a dev reason given? My gut feeling is that you always intended to do this to try and buff player count for ICC.

14 Likes

Or they were just too lazy to implement it earlier and used the “muh socialization” bs as cover.

49 Likes

Well considering Brian Birmingham was very much against it as the Classic Lead Developer and he doesn’t work there anymore, there’s your answer. As for the time, it takes a while to make large decisions and developments like that especially considering Classic’s small team.

10 Likes

no we’ll never get a definitive answer as to why they changed their hearts cause all they will officially say is that “this was the plan all along” and we should just ignore that they stated it would never come to classic at all

5 Likes

It was finally getting 1,000 likes on my comment:

“I agree – add LFD/RDF to LKClassic”

9 Likes

It’s not likely that they will be honest about it, but there are plenty of legitimate reasons to introduce it right now despite what they’ve said previously.

1. “Engagement with 5-man content has been lower than we expected, despite new incentives,”

2. “We have seen an unanticipated drop-off in the use of the LFG tool that has resulted in a ‘gear desert’ for new and returning players,” and of course

3. “Our philosophy was to adhere to the spirit of the original version of the game, which never truly precluded the possibility of releasing this controversial feature during the same patch in which it was originally introduced.”

Or a combination of those.

3 Likes

“Will we ever get a cut and dry answer on RDF being added?”

Has now become

“Why did they add it? will we get a reason?”

Both have had answers.

Didn’t they originally say “We have no plans to add RDF… at this time.”

It is no longer at that time. It is a different time.

I know I took that as meaning that they had it up their sleeve to add during icc.

9 Likes

More so the follow up “…so plan accordingly” blue post.
Took that as superseding their “…at this time” phrasing.

though if the plan was to add it with ICC I don’t see why that couldn’t have been announced as such. Points towards RDF being held back, potentially by Brian, and is now being added in his absence. I don’t really think it was their plan all along to add it while Brian was in charge.

The answer for including it was in the recent dev interview video. Paraphrasing obviously but “…difficulty with finding groups while leveling…” Or “Brain left so we did this”

1 Like

no, it was literally we aren’t adding it at all

2 Likes

WotLK is never and was never truly Classic. LFD slots right in with it where it wouldn’t in vanilla.

2 Likes

classic is anything older than current

3 Likes

Wow… they didn’t release RDF until the point where it was actually released in WotLK. Truly a mystery. I’m still wondering why they chose to release ToGC after Ulduar. I just don’t get it…

10 Likes

This is hardly the first time blizzard made a bad design decision and only walked it back when it had major negative consequences in game and via feedback.

13 Likes

No, because that would require them admitting they f’ed up by refusing to add it initially

Wow… they didn’t release dual spec until the point where it was actually released…oh wait

Wow… they didn’t release cross realm bgs until the point where they were actually released…oh wait

21 Likes

Brain dead forums. Almost to the level of general.

3 Likes

I’m just waiting for the WoW token from WOD…oh wait.

5 Likes

We literally knew RDF would come out with ICC.

7 Likes

I’m just glad they did, they 100% saved the end of WOTLK and possibly Cataclysm classic if they release it, if Cataclysm did not have RDF it would have been dead on arrival.

WOTLK/Cataclysm isn’t (Classic) anymore Classic Era are there if you want no RDF and an actual active community and retail is there too if you want more modern type QoL and gameplay.

WOTLK and possibly Cataclysm are a mix of the two, they are both Classic and retail in a way and have QoL from Retail but a similar gameplay and feels to Classic era which is what make them appealing to me.

I think its good like this so now people have three version of WoW to play.

Classic Era servers
WOTLK/Cataclysm/progressive servers
Retails servers.

All three offer different experiences.

10 Likes

Sure ya did champ!

1 Like