Will the devs ever get scaling right?

This is all started when they moved a huge portion of the Diablo 3 developers onto the WoW team. Since then, they have steadily turned the game into some weird MMO ARPG hybrid. We basically just have the worst of both worlds now.

WoW isn’t that great of MMO anymore, but it isn’t a good ARPG either.

4 Likes

In this thread: People who don’t understand what scaling is.

Seriously. Every different thing in this thread that people have talked about, they label it as “scaling”.

“Difference between rating and effect? Scaling!” no. no it’s not.

1 Like

I don’t buy that argument at all only because I’ve played other MMOs that have scaling, in the sense that you can go to any zone at any level, without any of the issues we face in WoW. So it can be done. The only real question is why haven’t they and the answer is because they want to have you constantly chained to the hamster wheel with everything cyclically reseting every “season.”

This entire seasonal model exists solely to boost engagement metrics and more importantly to allow them to pass off old content as new like awakened raids, using old dungeons for M+, remix, etc. WoW has simply reached a state where it’s more efficient for them to just rehash old content instead of making new one. It’s sad really.

Welcome to the 20th year of wow, where the goal is to get your money and the game updates don’t actually matter.

Welcomg to the War Within… Blizzard entertainment

I can see the benefit for timewalking.

But they NEED to get rid of mob scaling in whatever the current expansion is. Its brutal and ruining the game.

3 Likes

There is though. Plenty of other games have gotten it right. ESO for one has handled it really well, imo. It’s got lots of other problems but scaling definitely isn’t one of them.

Its seriously amazing we have to have this conversation every time new content comes out. Like what do you want? Last season gear to be compatible for end game of the new season? Crunches and stat changes always happen for end game content with increased stat amounts on gear. “My class changed again booooo” well everyone keeps crying how their class isnt good enough or another is too good. The players are the reason scaling and balancing is broken

1 Like

It happens every time because it’s terrible design and people rail against it every time.

No raised level cap, no stat increases, only new items are trinkets and weapons or armor with on-use effects and new set pieces. And most importantly absolutely no seasonal reset. Starting over from scratch every few months just because they can’t come up with new content fast enough is a terrible model and frankly one which I have personally long outgrown.

New systems can be unlocked via involved quest lines instead of just being handed to you for hitting a new level. New dungeons and raid should be interesting enough to engage with on their own merits and because they provide new on-use items, set bonuses and cosmetic rewards and NOT just stat sticks.

I think that about covers it.

P.S. I have absolutely no problem with classes and specs changing as long as it’s done well and in line with player feedback.

IMO the game has been completely pointless and broken since they did the squish and made everything an optional scaling zone. There is no WORLD of Warcraft anymore, it’s just bits and pieces scattered about that you might decide to partake in or just ignore completely. Whatever is current will be replaced in a year or so and just becomes some optional line on Chromies list of cannibalized game content.

I worry a bit about the upcoming change because it’s only addressing enemy scaling and doesn’t mention healing scaling. 70s do need to be brought down a bit so that’s not a big deal, but healing scaling is massive currently and makes higher levels heal for tiny amounts on 70s.

If you make 70s take more damage but leave healing scaling alone, it will mean higher level healers may struggle to keep low 70s alive.

IE: at 77 my living flame healed for ~150k tooltip. It healed a level 70 for only 40k and a level 79 for 300k. At 78 a 40k on a 70 drops to 32k. It has massive negative scaling as you level.

That’s just another reason scaling needs to be done away with. It’s impossible to balance.

Honestly what they should probably do is when a new max level happens. Scale secondary stats against that new max level but starting at the previous max level.

So if we’re 70, secondaries are weighted against being lvl 80 and we naturally lose a chunk of power for the leveling content. But our primary stats are still high so we’re not completely gutted. Then we actually go up in strength as we level even with mobs scaling to our current level.

Its easy enough to just tune player HP/base dmg (primary stats) and mob HP/dmg, the outlier is the wonky way in with secondary stat rating scales based on level. So even if mobs scale with the player 1:1 we still get stronger because of secondary stats going up as we upgrade gear. So with a lvl 71 vs the same mob and a lvl 80 against the same mob, the 80 will actually be stronger from secondaries being better.

Normal dungeons shouldve also been kept at fixed level brackets imo without scaling low players up to God status.

From what it sounds like they’re just adjusting how much dmg lower levels are doing to mobs

And it’s not so much raw damage as it is the weird way that mob HP is relative to a players level. So even though a 70 is doing 10k dmg and an 80 does 50k dmg. The 10k dmg is like 20% of a mobs HP and the 50k also is 20% of the mobs HP, to their perspectives.

And details I think just picks that up and amplifies what the player sees to what the “real dmg” is.

All of that is too complicated and, frankly, I have zero faith that they can code it properly. They just need to do away with it altogether, they’ve proven time and time again that they can’t get a handle on it.

Lol how is that complicated?

For them it is. Bro, they can’t even get Timewalking scaling right and you want them to do a multilayered scaling system like that? I think you have much more faith in their skills than I do, lol.

You want horizontal progression, which if that’s the case, go play another MMO. Horizontal progression has extremely short content life spans and doesn’t keep people playing like vertical progression does.

I can’t think of a single instance where Blizzard got the scaling right on the first pass. Be it level squishes, item level squishes, timewalking, Pandaria Remix, etc., all of them had problems that were missed and needed adjustment, sometimes extensively.

It wouldn’t be so bad if their scaling blunders didn’t usually manifest as players getting one-shotted by random spells / abilities, but that’s usually what happens as a result of the scaling being messed up.

Probably not but they have already addressed this

Fix Tomorrow. I wouldn’t hold your breath though

It’s so sad that people genuinely believe that and can’t see that they’ve simply been conditioned to think that way. ALL content has a short lifespan because it takes immeasurably longer to create it than it does to consume it. Vertical progression just tries to mask that by artificially prolonging engagement.

There is absolutely nothing wrong with finishing a game and being done with it and moving on to something else until genuine new content has been released. Making you start over from scratch every few months doing the same thing over and over again is deranged in my view and I can’t for the life me understand why so many people willingly let themselves get suckered into that. It’s almost like a form of addiction that’s being actively enabled by Blizzard and the warped model they use for their games.

1 Like