Will the devs ever get scaling right?

I am starting to think it’s never going to happen. It’s the same thing every expansion and every time gear becomes obsolete in general. Feels great as you’re starting out and then with every level you gain you get weaker and weaker, your stats plummet, crit chance goes from 33% to 13%, mastery goes from 50% to 20%, haste… what haste, lol. It gets to the point where for the last level or two you have to find entirely passive ways of leveling like first craft xp gains from professions or something equally brain dead and completely unintuitive, especially to new players.

Right now it’s nice getting carried by level 70-71 players as a level 78-79 in the group finder but what are you going to do when you finally hit 80, have no gear because you leveled only through dungeons and suddenly get one shot by open world trash mobs when you’re trying to do daily quests?

How is it possible the devs haven’t gotten a handle on this yet or ever, really. Surely there has to be a solution like scaling mobs to your item level rather than your actual level up to a certain point and then stopping the scaling altogether so you continue to feel stronger as you get better gear.

Why is this so hard? I mean it, I’d love for someone with an actual understanding of how things works on the back end to explain this to me.

16 Likes

No, because level scaling is stupid.

40 Likes

Also, the extra ilevel / power jumps they pad in from leveling to actual season content in an attempt to have players run in place for a month at launch is stupid.

7 Likes

They really just need to cap the power level that 70s get scaled to at say normal T1 epics for a level 80 at the high end of level 70 gear.

Right now they’re effectively scaling them up to a level of power an 80 won’t see until the end of the expansion, which is silly. These are new dungeons in a new expansion. Nobody should be in them with the power level equivalent to the end of the expansion even if they are in end of expansion Dragonflight gear. That’s powerful gear for Dragonflight, it shouldn’t give you the power level of TWW’s final tier.

7 Likes

It really is. No other MMO I’ve ever played handles it like this. The emphasis on gear and the constant cycle of obsolescence just to ensure that you’re always chained to the hamster wheel really kills the joy of playing this game. You should be drawn to new dungeons and raids not because of the stat sticks that will be obsolete in a few months time anyway but because they provide meaningful and engaging gameplay or gear that augments your playstyle not simply empowering it.

18 Likes

Games pretty much always been like that, it it’s why I play it over other games, the gear treadmill

3 Likes

unironically a skill issue, no one with a pulse is getting one shot by open world trash mobs lmao

scaling ultimately doesnt matter in the leveling content because that’s all that it is - leveling content.

6 Likes

Ya item level scaling next to crz are in my opinion the worst things they did to this game. As much as I enjoyed Legion, I won’t and never will forgive, and forget them sneaking that item level scaling garbage into the game during that expansion.

6 Likes

I was being facetious to illustrate a point. I can even solo rare elites but with much more effort and sweatiness than should be necessary. The system is absolutely flawed and it has nothing to do with skill.

P.S. Every time someone types “skill issue” on the forums, ironically or otherwise, their RNG gets -100 aura. Good luck getting any of those BiS gear drops you’ve been eyeing on the class guides, chum.

1 Like

wow has always been like this. start a xpac at peak strength as you level and get weaker till your at level cap and then your are the weakest you will ever be for the rest of the xpac. you get stronger. they just have to first make us tissue paper so can spend more time doing everything for those time played metrics.

2 Likes

Nah they are noobs with it.

As far as I’m concerned the second the XP bar gets re-enabled your gear should get slammed down by like 150 ilvls and you should be gimped as hell starting off your adventure.

Then every item should be an upgrade from that point.

Or something

5 Likes

And I said as much but just because it’s always been like this doesn’t mean it’s the right way. On the contrary, it just means that it’s always been bad and therefore way overdue for change.

1 Like

You’re right, always been this way.

When TBC launched a 60 rogue and a 70 rogue in identical gear both zoning into Steam Vaults had the 60 rogue blow the 70 rogue away in damage.

Been happening for 2 decades.

It’s like that in Era right now, a secret hack for fast UBRS runs is to only bring level 50s.

2 Likes

They actually did this approach in Cataclysm at launch. Even Shadowmourne was only competitive with a blue axe that dropped in the first leveling dungeon.

Not sure why they gave up on that and made it so end-game gear of the last expansion will sometimes last in power level until the final level of the next.

1 Like

I know it really sucked hitting level 80, my critical hit percentage went from 41% to 16%. All of my other stats took a huge hit too. I was able to easily do Tier 3 Delves before hitting 80, now I can barely do Tier 2.

4 Likes

not saying your wrong but we can look at this as a larger scale to see it wont change either. 90% of how things run in the world are wrong but it keeps on going and wont change

dude i was healing underbog at 61 on my druid because a friends 65 healer couldnt handle it. with how they handle leveling i would rather just squish our levels to 60 cap it and every time its a new xpac just give us new ilvl and story dont bother making us level and feel weaker

i got to 70 with epics on from shadowlands. if your nearly gear capped its so much more noticeable. the feeling of regressing as you level is the worst feeling in wow. its like rolling a 1 on a mount and someone beats you with a 2 roll

1 Like

In case anyone was curious, this is Shadowmourne in Cata Classic vs. Whitefin Axe that is useable at level 78 and drops in the first leveling dungeon:

I’m not sure how your healing friend being awful at the game has anything to do with scaling lol.

I’d prefer retail to go back to zones that were a specific level rather than scaling.

14 Likes

It was true in BC and WotLK too.

BC epics lasted half way through WotLk leveling and WotLK epics lasted not too long with Cata leveling.

But yes there is a big difference now where if you have high level epics it will last a bit.

:surfing_woman: :surfing_man: