Will Shadowlands be the final WoW expansion?

100% how I feel. I’ve played on and off since a few months after launch (started early Jan 2005).

After WOLTK, I just didn’t care much EXCEPT for Legion, which was all right just because the story seemed more like WoW (well, the theme, anyway) and less like some crappy fanfic like MOP, WOD, Cata, and BFA do.

And yet, here you are–reading the posts…

I’m sure they’ll find something new to defeat, shouldn’t be that hard right?

Dude, if Everquest 1 can have 24 expansions and still keep going, what makes you think WoW will stop?

Shadowlands will do better than people expect. at the very least better than BFA. there are still the void lords, and they still have the power to create more old gods, if even on other planets, sargeras may not be done with yet storywise, although I think we see him and illidan return for the void lords, as well as the titans

there is literally a universe of things to explore, and who knows if something else hostile will come calling.

way to necro a old discussion :stuck_out_tongue: and keep in mind that this discussion was created long before we knew any real details about shadowlands other than the reveal. streamers didn’t have alpha access yet, wowhead had no info, no interviews with devs, etc :stuck_out_tongue: just whatever info we had from Blizzcon 2019.

However I still stand with what I said in my OP at the end… WoW should end… Shadowlands or the next xpac should be the last… Blizzard really should try to move forward with the next WoW MMO… but before that, launch WCIV to establish new lore and characters to bridge WoW 1 and WoW 2

1 Like

Um… Void Lords? you wanna talk “big bad”, technically speaking They’ve been the real big bads since before sargares existed.

Blizzard is very unlikely to do another MMORPG, given that the market for MMOs has shrunk. Blizzard crossed that bridge when they shelved Project Titan, which was supposed to be a second MMO – they basically saw that the MMO market had peaked, and was on its decline, and that is exactly what has happened since then.

Eventually WoW will end, but it’s not likely going to end when there are multiple millions of subscribers, because in that scenario it is still a very profitable property for Blizzard. Blizzard will kill WoW when it shrinks below a profitability level that is enticing for it to continue – which to me means WoW will be around for quite some time still.

Blizzard could do a WC4 RTS, I suppose … although RTS are also an increasingly disfavored game type these days. Honestly I think Blizzard’s future-oriented team is more focused on creating opportunities for Blizzard to participate in up and coming popular game types rather than trying to resurrect old ones.

I think SL is going to be a bit of a reset. They are remaking the game to be more friendly to new players and I believe I saw somewhere that there will be a bit of a time jump after SL. Not quite WoW 2, but close.

They’ve already confirmed numerous expansions past 9.0, your endgame fantasy isn’t happening friend.

Issue with Titan is that it was going to be a whole new franchise with out any pre-established lore or fanbase… unlike a WoW2, which would have an established and healthy fanbase, lore, and high familiarity/respect within the gaming community. In addition Titan was aiming to be overly ambitious and complicated compared to WoW… devs bit off more than they could chew, rather than stick to basics and simply just create a wow like experience but with a fresh new engine, superior graphics/performance, etc.

Same goes with a WC4 RTS, plenty of individuals who would buy it. All you have to do is look at the recent WC3: reforged, before it was revealed to be poorly implemented and changed from what was revealed/showcased, and further tarnished with the news that it will break/overwrite original WC3 installs, delete custom maps/saves, etc, and the mass refunds took place and got review bombed as a result… before all of this, the preorders and hype/excitement around it was very high.

nothing official as of yet, this is just speculation from fans and people running and exaggerating a simple quote Ion said in regards to time works different in the Shadowlands, which is no different than devs previous saying time works different in the Twisting Nether and on Argus during Legion, but as we saw with Legion, after we returned to Azeroth there was no time difference regardless of how time works in lore between the two places

Maybe at the 10th expansion as the last xpac to close it out at 20 year anniversary of wow. This gameworld, whenever patches end, should be left alone and let players play for decades I hope lol. BfA is still really good and theres a lot to do if you enjoy most of the games content.

Retail Version is amazing! Always was and always will be. The game has steadily improved every year and is still the greatest! I know some on here complain and pick at little things that bug them, but the masses are happy with things and we trust the devs to continue creating epic content as long as they can.

Classic is cool, but i got everything i wanted to from vanilla content and am happy with the cata overhaul.

Also, I am in no rush to go to Shadowlands lol. There is sooooo much to do and BfA is really good. Good luck all! WOW 4 LYFE

Only if it really sucks and despite all the try-hard tears, it’s not looking that way.

MMOrpgs are ment to go on nearly forever so no it won’t.

I agree shadowlands looks freaking amazeing to me then again i loved BFA as well.

That the crazy thing about story writing , it stops when the writer wants it to stop :rofl:

I hope WoW never ends. I’m not looking for an insanely immersive, flawless time-sink anymore. Too busy being an adult. I’ll always have a subscription to support this game so I can play for a couple hours a week. It’s relaxing fun for me.

This is why I’m fully committed to the idea we’ll have a timeskip after the Shadowlands. For those who don’t know Shadowlands is the first time Blizzard is diving into territory without much pre established lore. Meaning they’ve run out of what is already established.

Whatever may happen in Shadowlands, this is what we know right now.

Majority of the primary leaders of both the Alliance and Horde are in the Shadowlands… Back on Azeroth, there are multiple side stories that would need to be resolved and won’t be resolved according to the game director as they won’t be prominent enough in SL. And those sides stories while being side stories aren’t something that will magically be fixed over night. Added to that, majority of azeroth has yet to be “repaired” so to speak from the Cataclysm, I mean… look how long it took for the section of Stormwind to be repaired. Nearly 3 x-pacs that’s 6 years and there are plenty of other instances that have yet to be “repaired”

Not mention what they could do with an X-pac that kind hits the reset button for this game. Considering the X-pac after Shadowlands will be X-pac 9, Game version 10.0

Here’s an example of what I’m thinking and the two side stories I’m referring too:

After leaving the Shadowlands, everyone returns to Azeroth, but it has been numerous years later.

• The Forsaken has built New Lordareon with the help of their new leader, Calia Menitil in Tirisfal glades

• The Night elves after the burning of Teldrassil, has cleansed Felwood with the help of the Cenarion Circle and has begun building a new empire with their new leader, Shandris Feathermoon.

And there are a lot of other examples I could include. A lot of minor side stories that could easily be resolved with a time skip. Not to mention the possible new conflicts that might incur due to the disappearance of the two factions primary leaders. Like… Is gen just going to sit by with Turalyon taking Anduin’s spot as Temp king and steward of the alliance? What’s going to happen with the forsaken or the night elves? Both who have for the most part lost their homes.

TL;DR: I want another Cata, but better and bigger and more like an Anti-Cata instead of destroying a lot of things. Things have grown changed, adapted, etc. I want more substantial changes to the overall game, lore, etc. I want an expansion that just presses the reset button for this game.

People are just mentioning a timeskip. It doesn’t mean it will happen.

Yes a majority of the leaders are coming with us. I was just saying how it would’ve been more interesting to have some stay behind with the changes in Azeroth.

Some of the examples you mentioned are cute. Building new homes there. More so those two races have been without.

I was more interested in the context of something has went down. As there must always be an enemy in the game and characters that would be knowledgeable about the situation and everything that has transpired. Maybe even had to grow more due to certain events.

I do really enjoy your idea too as I am all for main cities getting updated.

For me I don’t feel like a timeskip is not really a reset button. I think of it as a progression button.

I don’t think what I have heard about another world is not that bad of an idea. I mean a lot of us loved TBC which is another planet Draenor. They added a small one at end of Legion. Argus. The fun thing for them if they went through with this instead. It opens them to making whole new environments around. As it is a whole new world to explore.

I don’t think either of these I have heard suggested are bad ideas.

I just wanted to throw in the one thing with Shadowlands has going for it. That I was trying to stress earlier, is that it’s another dimension/plane. I don’t think they release how crazy they could’ve got with this, but they kept it pretty tame. Hmm small example like the swolekins that weren’t necessarily complete. (The NPCs I mean, skeletons) That everyone was poking at. Know what I mean?

Example outside of WoW like Super Mario RPG when Mario goes behind a curtain and becomes Mario from the orignal Nintendo game. Or Homer Simpson in one of the Halloween episodes and he goes into 3d animation world. I mean they could’ve pulled off some weird bizarre crap. As this is a completely different plane of existence and it actually make sense. I just thought it would be added fun and I don’t understand why sometimes they don’t take advantage of these things…

Sounds like you’re a Blizzard employee testing the waters about a bad idea.

Don’t do it. Bad.