Will Blizzard turn Retail WoW in the direction of being an MMORPG again?

I mean, the answer’s obvious, isn’t it? One doesn’t and then says the content from Classic was better anyways despite them never doing endgame back then either to wrap up zones and overall story.

It’s mostly people grasping for straws that make the argument you’re dealing with here. Rather than accept that each iteration has a different target audience, they’d prefer bashing anything that isn’t glorious Classic in all its “RPG-ness”, which mostly just irritates the more neutral/open minded forumgoers.

I want y’all to enjoy Classic. That doesn’t mean you need to put others down to somehow elevate Classic. All that ever does is breed resentment.

3 Likes

Thank you. Some flipping logic.

No. Most who enjoy retail do not want to level weapon skills and buy spells from their trainer. They do not want to have to spend time researching that they could spend in game. They don’t want to have to group to complete quests or shout endlessly in a city when they could just hit the Q button. They want to be able to log in and have world quests waiting for them as a part of a daily ritual. They don’t want to have to look up whether or not a pet will be optimal in dps and instead know that they already have the best pet the moment they see it. They want to be able to control how their character looks and have high model fidelity. They don’t want to have confusing talents and buffs that only last half an hour or even less.

And that should be ok for everyone that that’s what the people who play retail want. You shouldn’t be upset by it at all. Some people are enjoying the game no? Even as the selfish fear of effort, socialization and navel gazing slowly erodes the quality of the game until it becomes an agonizing blend of bland, dis-interesting gameplay with little more than collecting to prop it up until even that implodes in upon itself.

So no reason to worry about retail at all. Blizzard will undoubtedly release another expansion as good as Legion. I dunno why anyone is worried at all. Everything is as it should be and heading in the right direction. As others have said this is 100% an MMORPG by the technical definition. Absolutely.

Remember; This is what people who play the game want.

1 Like

I’ve enjoyed certain aspects of this game for a long time. That doesn’t mean I can’t want more aspects like the one I exist to enjoy, or have more content with a similar difficulty curve. I don’t understand the point of your soliloquy. I enjoy raiding on retail 12 hours a week, but I would also like to enjoy content on retail other than raiding.

Sharding kills it

1 Like

I found a good read about 2 players and their experience with sharding and here are some parts of it.

So even if a realm was heavily sharded, we knew thousands of players were on the realm because they were talking. Many players asked in the chats several times, “Where is everybody? I know you guys are there.”

We eventually logged into realm 15 another high population server. I created a human paladin and my brother created a human warrior. We logged in at the same time. But when the opening cinematic was complete, we stood in the exact same spot, but weren’t seeing the same thing.

It was a so weird. It was like a strange case of deja vu. It’s like we were watching a similar movie but with different characters. We were facing the Northshire abby, but I saw a warrior run out, and he saw a priest. That’s not all that was different. We ran to Goldshire, and not once did we see each other.

We stood in the exact same spot in the street. There were duels going on in Goldshire. But, we weren’t watching the same duel. It was exciting but lonely. If we’d been playing on two different servers it would’ve made perfect sense. The problem is we were both on realm 15. We’d been sharded to a different layer of it.

I made some amazing friends in Wrath because sharding didn’t prevent me from meeting them. Although, I don’t speak to these friends today, I treasure the memories. And, those gaming buddies were good friends for many years before they stopped playing WoW and moved on.

Only thing I can agree on here. Yes Sharding is over the top. But this hasn’t killed as many communities in the game as people think. I can still walk into SW and find people to RP with. I see people talking in boralus all the time. And people are constantly helping each other out on Mechagon.

Had a similar experience of disappointment.

Ran into someone on the same quest line as me out of the blue. We tagged along together following the same path to complete parts of the quest chain. I noticed she had the same fire horse mount I got also in WoD. I mounted up that same mount as well as a way of saying hello, but seconds later before I could then /hi, she vanished out of existence. I’ll probably never see that player again.

1 Like

That makes me a little sad just reading about your experience. You were on a journey with someone you met in the game and in an instant… poof friend no more and never to be seen again.

Why do I need to kill Azshara? Raids are not my “end game”. I can wait to put level it.

There are many different ways to play this MMORPG and many different way you can interact with the people that play it. Just because it is not your way of playing doesn’t make it the wrong way of playing.

Because you wanted to prove the game is ‘optional’ multiplayer. For most players, their end game is Azshara. For a majority of players, end game to them is raiding or pvp or dungeons or a ton of stuff. If you’re satisfied just leveling, fine, but don’t act like that’s all that’s required of you to play the game. The game encourages you to do stuff that requires other people. If you want to ignore that, that’s you, not the game for being ‘single player’

I’m not sure what you are arguing about? I’ve said you can level you character in WoW and WoW Classic without grouping up.

Oh… lot of people trying to say “this isn’t an MMO” cause apparently multiplayer stuff is 100% optional to play the game and… crossfires. sorry.

No problem, this thread has gone all over the place. Hard to track who is arguing about what.
I’m on the side of the fence that agrees WoW is a MMORPG.

No problem. Sorry to bug you about it

Really? We’re still pretending this?

2 Likes

Honestly this argument that LFD/LFR is the worst thing ever is absolutely absurd. I’m a primarily mythic raider who only really plays for the raid and I can’t imagine why anyone would get bent out of shape over them.

The gear is appropriately levelled, It lets people who wouldn’t otherwise see the content… see the content and gives them a taste of raiding(Obviously a very watered down one). LFR Might be a reason why people get into raiding, they crave the challenge and pushing themselves so they move into a guild.

The fact that Elaice doesn’t have a single raid ahead of the curve achievement or Cutting edge achievement makes me laugh. Doing normal content is basically on par with LFR, In fact: I’d argue that LFR is even more difficult than Normal because at least in normal a group is formed with people who are there who want to kill the content - Not just there because the dungeon journal said to go do it next.

Cmon Elaice, what you doing baby?

LFD and LFR are among the best things to happen to the game.

Great news, if you don’t want to do them, you don’t have to!

A lot of people still join guilds, which are like minded and do that stuff the old fashioned way. For those of us who can’t really do that, LFD and LFR made us stay subscribed.

More options are always a better thing.

1 Like

100% - Same argument applies to people who want to “remove pet battles”, just because you don’t like something doesn’t mean it should be removed.

Yeah man, us boomers am i right? sips sugarfree monster.

I wish i had more time to play retail but luckily I can play a very slow version where the only difficult thing is levelling. Luckily I’ve done it all before and I’ve read all the wowhead articles on what the quickest way to do thing and the strongest things in the game.

Honestly I don’t even know how i have time to s-post on the forums when I’m having so much fun playing w/e.
Also yikes a level 37 calling someone a casual. EESH!

I don’t believe simply paying for the game, means one deserves to see Raid content. Time investment/skill should be relevant factors; if anyone can see raid content by simply logging in it lessens the time investment of other players. If everyone is super then no one is.