Will Blizzard start to fix retail due to the success of Classic?

Surely given the unprecedented success of Classic – something that has left recent Retail expansion launches in the dust, Blizzard must finally realise that the Retail game is sick and that they can save it by rolling back some of the pruning down and simplification of the (non-raid) content.

How far they take this is anyone’s guess, but surely they won’t sit and let the live game continue to stagnate.

What do you think will be the first move?

32 Likes

48 hours isn’t an indicated of success.

In six months let’s talk.

93 Likes

“If you want a functioning game, Classic is waiting for you.”

14 Likes

Maybe in 6 months they will have fixed “Q” times?

6 Likes

Basically this

18 Likes

I hope they do… I am having the most fun on classic than I have since Pandaria.

21 Likes

Back my mind I wonder if they have over tune Naxx.

1 Like

“roll back pruning”

Spoken like someone that probably didn’t experience the age of cookie cutter builds because no one would accept you into a group/raid without it.

If classic is still going strong in 6 months, it will be a success. Three days is nothing.

25 Likes

They should just abandon the current retail and start making expansions for classic.

11 Likes

servers being down or inaccessible is successful?

k.

7 Likes

I was a raid guild GM during Classic. I was one of the dudes who was not accepting people. :slight_smile:

On a personal level, though, I’d prefer cookie cutter than homogenised.

9 Likes

Too early to call the game yet. Give it a few months before saying it was a success. Also, that would mean current needs fixing, which imo, aside from azerite gear, it doesn’t. But i think they already know they messed up with azerite gear.

2 Likes

Dont know about “successful” but its definitely authentic.

4 Likes

If they have any intelligence on the matter, they will get rid of Sylvanas and make the story actually coherent again. I doubt I am the only one who feels like she should of been a raid-boss in Naxxramas or ICC or something.

It used to be when a villain did X and escaped, like say Katrana Prestor or Teron Gorefiend; you could roll with it as you knew you’d have a chance to take them down eventually. Now we have characters with absurd plot armor.

Imagine if we went through all the trouble to unmask Onyxia, saw her kill Windsor, and then got to Onyxia’s Lair and she said “Oh heroes! Sorry I killed Windsor and all of those people in the Keep. But it was for a reason only I actually knew about, and am only speaking of now! Besides! Now that your here, you can help me defeat the real enemy which is Alexstraza. She makes too much life!”

Morally grey? Please. Don’t make me laugh.

Players deserve a better class of story. Especially if that leak on MMOC is accurate.

9 Likes

Frostbolt frostbolt frostbolt frostbolt frostbolt!

14 Likes

Non raid content. People didn’t cookie cutter and spam most efficient DPS outside of raids.

1 Like

Not only that, the way you played in raids didn’t at all match how you played everywhere else. Add misses, parries, dodges, resists and mobs being harder to kill across the board and the game is a lot more complicated than modern WoW. You might have to actually Cold Snap because something went wrong, not because it was part of some theoretically optimal rotation.

But if people still want to argue Vanilla abilities are too simple, I would agree. WotLK got it right. I had 30 keybinds then, and all of them got used at least ocassionally.

I think another thing classic has going for it is that we know in hindsight the developers went in the right direction (more depth and sophistication) and we got two almost universally beloved expansions from it (BC and WotLK). Classic is the least complicated things get for a long, long time.

3 Likes

Classic only had two endgames, PVP and Raiding. Both required specific builds to be useful. Any deviation left you sitting on your butt in Stormwind/Orgrimmar doing nothing.

9 Likes

Find fresh talent willing to devote themselves to repairing a game desperately in need of a lot of love and essential realignment.

Seriously, now is the time to get a move on with some major changes to the game that everyone has been begging for since at least Legion, like they were for Classic’s return (I know they were suggesting that :wink:).

The differentiation between the two can’t be “fun” and “sharded ghost town” (truly no offense intended, but you made it so I can’t login because of how wrong everything feels).

They need it to eventually stand out from classic with new content but without damaging the old, reliable, tried and true methods (like a reliable point system, real world servers, a fast-enough-to-feel-like-it’s-fun-again gcd, et al.)

The point is…

…I could say what’s what til I’m blue in the face here, but ultimately it comes down to finding people who are willing to throw themselves at the wreckage and try to fix it as quickly as possible, while giving the creative teams the wiggle room they need (both creatively and financially) to actually implement a really fun expansion.

Additionally, they need a solid fixer patch to run through the rest of the expansion, because right now things are obviously not going well… and I don’t think they need new anything in terms of content or game features, what they need is a reversion in a few key areas (like I mentioned) to bring the game back to the basics and back to a place where people can at least reliably log on after a long day (or night) and be able to play their characters for however long they have without worrying about anything else.

That’s key.

If we can bring the game back to that, at least retail would be… sellable.

Thats my present view.

3 Likes

Have to tell investor’s that their earnings will go up if they improve game play.
Blizzard answers only to them.

3 Likes