Why were the Illidari left out?

That’s kind of a special case since you were THE Deathlord acting as an agent of the Lich King Bolvar, who has since then lost the bulk of his power.

1 Like

The Deathlord was basically an extension of Bolvar, or more specifically, the helm’s power, and were tapping into it. Just as the the Val’kyr did to create higher level undead.

It is debatable how much free will the Deathlord even had, given how the recent short story showed how unrelenting the Helm’s command was over all DKs was. DKs were ultimately created using a bit of Zovval’s power, which is why they have the exact same spooky eyes as he does. With the power tap shut off, their ability to do such anymore is pretty limited.

The most recent major batch of DKs could well of been the last. Until they need more and come up with some wacky work around, anyways.

1 Like

We don’t even know if Bolvar can raise the dead without a runeweapon/Frostmourne, all we know is that the Helm of Domination gave him control over the undead. Him raising anyone has never been mentioned or demonstrated, has it?

Arthas demonstrated powers over undeath with Frostmourne before he reached the Frozen Throne to fight Illidan/merge with Ner’zhul, so we know that it granted him power to raise the dead. But time and time again it’s stated that a runeweapon is both the vessel and source of a Death Knight’s power. For that matter, is Bolvar even a Death Knight? He’s not undead as he wasn’t raised, just trapped in some sort of terrible Deadpool situation where his body should be dead but Red Dragonflight magic prevents it. It was Frostmourne that made Arthas into a Death Knight, not the Helm.

Side note but I hate that the Runecarver doesn’t say anything about Dk’s runeblades. Like breh it’s not a profession of mine but I’ve been doing it for a decade or so. Put some respect on the name.

I’m perfectly willing to be wrong, I’m just giving my impression of how things lay given what information I’ve seen. Regardless of whether or not death knights can raise each other again after death, they aren’t “immortal” in the same way that the player demon hunter is, because they can’t just jump back into their corpse without assistance. My main point was that diving into the Maw from the top of Icecrown wasn’t without risk for them, but they still have advantages against the Maw versus non-immortal-soul demon hunters or living soldiers.

The most recent short story, We Ride Forth, credits Bolvar with raising the new allied race death knights.

A question: if death knights are indeed able to raise their fallen fellows again back to service, then why haven’t we seen them do it? Darion is a Horseman, he’s more powerful than the average death knight, but he doesn’t even mention the possibility that he might be able to raise some of the knights lost in the initial fighting in the Maw, some of who died while he was standing right next to them. Darion is incredibly protective of his fellow knights, so why would he leave them to their fates if he had the power to raise them himself? If the answer is that it takes time or energy to raise them that he didn’t have at that moment, then that leads back to my initial point: the Ebon Blade aren’t truly immortal like the player demon hunter is, they’re just better at not staying dead than most people are. Personally, I am fine with that, because it makes the Ebon Blade all the more courageous if the Maw poses an actual danger to them and they voluntarily face it anyway.

It also means that lore wise, DKs and DHs went through more than the average class to make them special. Sure all classes have a lot of cool lore to accompany them, but DK and DH have had something traumatic happen to them for them to be where they are now. DK died and were brought back to life, DH had to undergo a huge ritual and forsake part of themselves. DK and DH are also more reviled than other classes because of what they are. So sure practically DK and DH are just another class but they have been hyped up lorewise to deserve the distinction of hero class and what this post is asking is lore wise where are DHs.

I hope to see the illidari in an expa where we return to outland, the illidari wanted to return to retake the black temple and make it their home again I suppose they are doing that now.

[image]

1 Like

Honestly I kinda like that idea, not now ofc cause that’s not the focus of the xpac but I would love to see the black temple be a illidari hq again

And like I’ve said before each of those classes had a whole expansion where they were the main jam. You’ve had yours. This is not a demon focused expansion so in this one you’re now just a generic “Champion”. So the DH’s who aren’t out Legion hunting are lumped with the rest of the champion crew.

1 Like

Lol thats exactly what I mean, when bringing up whats going on with DHs theres always the response “you had your xpac, go back in the corner and be quiet” I dont think anyone is looking for a Legion 2.0 or an entire questline talking about the wonders that are DHs, just some little explanation where theyre standing rn. Again lorewise they were important in the past and it would be nice to have a little acknowledgement. Like where do DH souls go, to the shadowlands or the twisting nether (probably both from what Ive seen so far)?

It’s obvious. They got nerfed.

black temple new sanctuary city controlled by illidari

2 Likes

does any special quests happen if you play dk

Excuse me while I ask my parents what this reference entails.

Pretty sure Akama was trying to cleanse it for the Draenei.

You know what, I stand corrected, for some reason I was thinking the Horsemen raised them and then brought them to Acherus.

Although I am leaning more towards Death Knights being unable to raise each other after death now, I will point out that this could just be the case due to the power of the Maw/Shadowlands being so strong that normal resurrection is impossible. Given that the power of Frostmourne and the Helm of Domination channeled the power of the Maw (and both artifacts were instrumental in the creation of the Death Knights of the Scourge) we really don’t know how this is going to affect Death Knights in the short and long run.

No, it’s pretty disappointing actually, the most I’ve seen was Darion saying Deathlord once instead of champion and I apparently didn’t even get to see that single talking head where he does it due to launch day madness.

1 Like

I can see where you’re coming from, though unfortunately it simply isn’t a strong enough connection to justify having them.

Ideally, it’d be great for every class to get some individual lore coming out of SL, like they did in legion with the order halls. Heck, I’d love that for every expansion we do. Unfortunately, this is simply not the case.

I love my demon hunter also, but it just wasn’t in the cards for them. Even if they did decide to expand on the lore of another class, DH wouldn’t be my first choice.

2 Likes

It’s an interesting question.

One could assume they could be helpful. My guess would be they weren’t seen as “fitting” the theme.

1 Like

Imagine how the Death Knights felt Cata-WoD

1 Like

Don’t they have the Fel Hammer on Marduum as their new base, why would they go back to the Black Temple now?

He probably thought he could use it to buy his way back into their good graces, if he pulled it off.