Why were the Illidari left out?

I have been wondering this myself and from what I can jest is that the Illidari still has their hands full with what remains of the Legion. Let us not forget that the Legion is vast. They may not be able to revive in the mortal realm any more now that Argus is gone, but they still occupied many worlds and is still a very large army. They are a disordered mess now without Sargaras and the Illidari would be fouls to not capitalize on that fact. Would imagine it is something that will keep the Illidari very busy for a while.

3 Likes

I think the inevitable x.2 new zone will be Valarjar themed.

Cause we already have enough edge with the Death Knights

1 Like

https://youtu.be/a8w-woARQFc?t=364

2 Likes

I’m biased cause Im a demon hunter main but basically whenever someone says “well what about DH lore?” a lot of people go “you had your turn in legion.” Yes I understand that the common perception is that DH are op and over talked about but also they are a hero class. I am more than ok with DK getting their chance to shine in this expansion, I love DKs. But a little more lore is never a bad thing. This is more of a personal qualm that before this xpac, the Legion and Sargeras (and by extension DHs) received all this hype. In lore you could trace most events back to the Legion in some way. Originally the Lich King’s helm and sword and even the undead were traced back to the Legion’s plan to take over Azeroth (tho I suspect this may become retconned). So now moving on without addressing it is a bit annoying. I will say I am loving Shadowlands and everything it is talking about and the last thing I want is this to be another legion where all lore goes back to the burning legion. But at the same time with so much history dedicated to it I think it deserves a bit of a mention and I trust Blizz devs to do that.

1 Like

I thought it was funny when one of the Speakers in Oribos referred to Darion as a mortal.

1 Like

The knights are pretty mortal if they die in the maw and their extracted soul gets put through the shredder until its a mindless shade, then stuffed into a suit of mawsworn armor.

1 Like

???

But the Jailer can do that to immortals, too. So how does that make them mortal?

Someone has to stay on Azeroth and fight the scourge

Maybe the Demon Hunters will make an appearance when Dreadlords get involved in the story more directly.

3 Likes

Darion was raised again as a Horseman using the power of the Lich King. We don’t have a Lich King anymore (at least for the moment), and the Ebon Blade don’t have any val’kyr allied with them (as far as I know, please correct me if I’m wrong). I wouldn’t count on the Ebon Blade being able to raise any of their fallen at the moment, and that’s without even considering the logistical trouble of rescuing people from the Maw.

One of the Maw dailies has you come across the bodies of all the death knights killed in the introductory scenario. You collect their weapons and build a monument to honor their sacrifice and as a show of defiance against the Jailer, but you leave the dead where they fell.

To be fair, his soul is still in his original body, he’s just had to be stuffed back into it…twice. Maybe the Speakers just use “mortal” to describe anyone still running around in a meat suit?

1 Like

The Monks should of invaded the shadowlands on their giant Chi powered turtle!

…cmon guys, it would of been cool

2 Likes

The Ebon Blade were resurrecting folk without a Lich King and without Valkyr in WotLK. They are not required. We had the book to make the Four Horsemen.

Yeah because the game doesn’t treat the main character as though they are a Death Knight. This isn’t an Order Hall quest.

2 Likes

I don’t remember them raising new death knights in Wrath, when did this happen? The Dark Mirror short story stated that the ritual to raise death knights is more powerful (and arduous to perform) than raising regular Forsaken, never mind mindless undead. All the allied race death knights were raised by Bolvar. I can’t recall any new Ebon Blade death knights being made between their separation from Arthas and their alliance with Bolvar in Legion.

Didn’t say Death Knights. Said folks. Death Knights are fully capable of making sentient undead. An example of which being Lurid.

Do you have any canon sources stating it was the Lich King that allowed us to make Death Knights?

I’d be interested to read them.

Furthermore, the Lich King didn’t say “I give you my power to resurrect Darion.” He said “Death holds no power over the damned.”

2 Likes

I’m surprised the Kirin Tor didn’t attempt to parallel park Dalaran between Oribos and the Maw and get into a fender bender with Oribos.

5 Likes

Okay, so the Knights of the Ebon Blade can look forward to being raised as ghouls to serve alongside the survivors, then. Lurid isn’t as strong as Thassarian, and he’s not independent in the same way a death knight is. I suppose that technically makes them “immortal”, but I was thinking of the comparison to demon hunters who can just hop back into their body if they have an immortal demon soul.

From Dark Mirror, an official short story:

Nathanos’ shiny new model in Legion was courtesy of Sylvanas using one of her Val’kyr to make him more similar to a death knight in terms of sturdiness and lack of decay, using some of the same ritual magic. Now, I don’t know of any source on how difficult it is to raise a death knight a second time if their already-made-sturdier body is mostly intact, but the implication is that making new ones from fresh corpses is a rather taxing process, and the Lich King was a very useful battery for this purpose. That’s why the Forsaken couldn’t raise death knights on their own; they had knowledge of the procedure through the Val’kyr, but not the resources required. I suppose it’s possible that the Ebon Blade might have their own power source to fuel such rituals, but if so, it’s rather odd that they a) weren’t raising new death knights on their own and b) weren’t attacked by Sylvanas in an attempt to steal such power. Sylvanas was strangely content to leave the Ebon Blade alone (aside from everything with Koltira), considering that they represented a potential rival to her power.

I just put this up to Bolvar being his usual dramatic self, but it was also true while the Helm was intact, and at the time no one involved considered the possibility of the Helm ever being destroyed. If you have the power to wield control over life and death, then death has no power over you…unless you lose your own source of power, that is.

The key to your entire argument is the creation of new Death Knights. But resurrecting a dead one is not creating a new one.

And, again, we didn’t have Kel’Thuzad’s book.

All that meant was that you started them at high level, a distinction that lost much of it’s meaning in the Big Squish. It didn’t make sense story wise to start you as a level one swab.

After Legion, you became one of the crew.

Considering that raising Darion isn’t much different from raising the other 3 Horsemen as represented in gameplay, I’m inclined to say that there is more evidence to show that Death Knights can raise each other back into service and little to none to say that they can’t. As others have pointed out, the original implementation of the DK questline in Legion involved getting Kel’thuzad’s book and then raising more Death Knights, likely the original Horsemen since they had all new models datamined. The quest was changed to involve new Horsemen and the need for the book was removed, but we’re still raising new Death Knights and a dead Death Knight. The result is the same, despite the means changing, which is just further reinforcement in my eyes that Death Knights can raise each other, at least powerful Death Knights can.

1 Like