Why was /spit removed?

I think people put too much energy in their emotions to things happening in the video game. If they cant handle an emote being in a game then maybe they should pick a different game.

Blizzard also is a California based company and we all know that California is the softest state in the country

Pretty soon we wont be killing bosses anymore, we will be picking flowers and giving it to them.

5 Likes

The mount fiasco and boostie bullying was just an in for blizzard to remove the emote in classic. It had already been removed from retail for awhile because it hurts feefees or something. As if getting spit on should do anything cept make you roll your eyes at the most.

jerks will always exist no matter where you go and no matter how hard to try to curtail it with all this talk about “ending toxicity”. But the majority of people dont really like to hang out with jerks so the end of the day they’re only really hurting themselves. I would’nt worry too much about it.

sidenote: the mid 2000’s and early 2010s were a pretty vulgar time. Think about a lot of the comedy movies that were super popular during those years. Like tropic thunder and borat and the hangover. A lot of that humor would absolutely not fly today a lot of people cant " keep up" with these rapidly changing cultural mores. Not because they’re bad people morally but because 10 years ago certain jokes were totally ok and all over primetime television.

1 Like

I’m calling BS on this response.

Killing mobs in PvE and killing players in PvP can be considered to be part of the in-game fantasy, and you are correct that there is an important distinction between fantasy and reality in these cases. As there is for many of the aspects of the game.

But suggesting that the social interactions between players is one of those aspects is categorically a FALSE equivalence. For the most part, people do not /spit in order to playfully engage in the fantasy of faction rivalry within the game. They do it to upset and offend the player behind the character. This is socially equivalent to spitting IRL. Spitting doesn’t upset people IRL because they might end up with a gob of spit on their face. It upsets them because spitting is an unacceptably extreme expression of anger and hatred.

This attempt to find equivalence between other activities in the game and the /spit emote simply doesn’t stand up to even a little rigorous thought. People were just being jerks, and eventually everyone else just got sick of it, and the thing that brought it to a head was the whole boosting/store mount incident in TBC.

1 Like

It was the mount you got from paying for a boosted character…

…and Asmongold didn’t start anything.

1 Like

No fun allowed because people like you are incredibly fragile huh

5 Likes

lol these short chubby nerds would get their teeth bashed in the second they decided to do that.

2 Likes

Again, youre making it deeper than it is. Its a video game, not real life.

3 Likes

U DOOFY NERDS WOULDNT DARE CAST FIREBALL AT ME IRL I CAN BENCH PRESS UR MOM’S MINIVAN

8 Likes

Bro his mom died recently iirc.
I know ya’ll hate everything but have some respect in that regards.

4 Likes

Dudes still got more money than most of us will ever see in our lives lol.

still, trading real money for imaginary property- it’s like you’re paying for the game over and over. so of course Blizzard loves you.

That sucks. Does he know, yet?

1 Like

FYI you can still spit on everyone. Just type /me spits on you. Never let the man keep you down.

“I’m 14 and this is edgy.”

2 Likes

That sounds like something trashmongold would do.

1 Like

The funny thing is that /mock is still in the game. I wouldn’t take part in this behavior, but I’m genuinely very surprised that people haven’t just decided to move on to every other aggressive emote and used that instead of /spit.

It would suck, but it would be pretty funny to see the community basically strongarm Blizzard into giving up with their virtue signalling or to essentially just remove all emotes from their game.

There was this one time that I lost to a night elf warrior in a duel and they /spit on me. No, I didn’t remove the /spit… I removed their tree.

2 Likes

I can imagine how they look like irl

ok mr creatine kek

I got the mount.

All the people spitting on me are below my skill level anyway.