Why was /spit removed?

Why was /spit changed? Did someone get butthurt over getting ganked and spat on, or was it something else? I don’t know the story behind this so I would like it if someone explained what happened.

5 Likes

Nah, Asmongold started a trend of spitting on anyone riding a store mount. So it was removed from the game.

11 Likes

People made a mod to auto spit on everyone that boosted or had a store mount. This was too much for Blizzard’s snowflakes, and rather than just break the addon; they opted to break the emote. Now it will always say “spits on ground” regardless of target, you know, so the snowflake can pretend they’re not the target and not have their feelings hurt. I guess this is good news for future DKs. The guards won’t be able to spit on us when we come to the city.

10 Likes

Wasn’t a store mount, was the equivalent of a collector’s edition mount. And nobody had any problems with collector’s edition stuff until TBCC.

2 Likes

His name is missing an “s”.

He also lives in his mom’s basement.

6 Likes

California, pretty much nothing else needs to be said

20 Likes

Pretty sure his mom passed away, and he was paying for the house and her care while she was deteriorating towards the end of her life.

19 Likes

It happened in more than TBCC it was happening in retail too, and the “collector’s edition” was a glorified store mount. There is nothing collector’s about “collector’s editions” these days. AKA nothing physical to actually collect for an enthusiast.

3 Likes

casuals got hurt by it.

1 Like

because they hate fun and freedom

6 Likes

Too many thin-skinned, hyper-sensitive babies have issues distinguishing a game from reality.

19 Likes

Yep, 100% this

1 Like

Didn’t you know the new store mount is the ZA bear. So many fools paying 5k+ for the mount it’s insane.

1 Like

Asmongold and the blue hairs.

1 Like

More like the players that were butthurt about what other players were spending thier money on. Lol.

It was not to help out the boosted players. It took away from them. They no longer were able to laugh identify the childish wow heros and so they couldnt pull out thier Portal hearthstone and twirl around in front of the licking up the whiners tears. Now we have to do it by the mailbox and auction house amd bank and can only hope there is someone setting in front if thier pc raging like a little baby. Lol.

It was banned because enough people didn’t like it.

And really, would you be able to get away with that behaviour IRL? Of course not. Why should it be any different in WoW, just because it’s online? It’d be different, if people thought it was just part of the roleplaying experience. But we all know it isn’t. Other players aren’t /spitting at your character, as a part of faction roleplay. They’re spitting at you as a player, because they want to upset you, or something you’ve done has upset THEM.

This isn’t a matter of sensibilities changing, of people becoming precious snowflakes over time. In fact, I struggle to understand why the /spit emote was EVER in the game. It’s pretty bizarre.

3 Likes

Do you have the freedom to spit on people IRL? I think you’d find that people would get VERY upset. And I don’t think that’s a recent thing either. I think this idea of people becoming precious snowflakes over time is complete bollocks. I think it was ALWAYS offensive, and it took a large-ish outbreak of it (/spitting at boosted players and/or players with the store mount) for people to decide they’d finally had enough.

2 Likes

I think its important to separate game from real life. I think of /spit like i think of the collecting poop quests, its funny, it was meant to be funny. The sensitivity in todays culture is causing funny things to turn into offensive things which honestly is a terrible thing to happen.

People need to get back to having thicker skin rather than just cancelling things because it somehow hurt their feelings.

4 Likes

I don’t think that’s possible, in the context you’re referring to. The in-game fantasy of WoW, sure. But when people use the /spit emote it’s overwhelmingly directed at the player, not the character. As such, it’s not surprising that people react in much the same way that they’d react if this happened IRL. Because /spit isn’t about the physical act. It’s an expression of hatred towards another person.

But it ISN’T funny, in the same way. There is no actual humour occurring. It’s ONLY offensive. It’s just that some people get a kick out of being deliberately offensive. But that’s not the same thing as humour/being funny.

Don’t get me wrong, I’m all for comedy being a protected form of free speech. But it actually has to BE comedy/humour, not just someone being a jerk and pretending it’s supposed to be a joke.

Why?

If we put up with offensive behaviour, this only encourages people to continue to act in increasingly offensive behaviour. No, I’m sorry, but people have a right to take a stand when they believe that someone’s behaviour crosses a line for them. In the case of /spit, there was obviously a line drawn which doesn’t exactly equate to where YOU would put the line. But it was obviously enough of a problem for enough people that eventually Blizzard decided to act.

And that’s how the world works.

3 Likes

You cannot be serious right? How does anything in this game represent what goes on in real life. It’s a fantasy game. Do you go around killing people in real life? I don’t. You’re completely grasping at straws and you know it

12 Likes