Why was Resilience removed?

I’d imagine the answer is somewhere between development teams’ hubris, vanity, and whatever else motivates them to re-invent the wheel and fix what isn’t broken every 2 years

7 Likes

Earning gear from one activity that is better than the other activity is pretty bad too.

I know Blizzard wants to see everybody participate in all portions of the game, but the players aren’t wired that way, and there is no reason to force them to play that way - especially when they put roadblocks on one form of play with the new buzzword “Meaningful Choices.”

There was nothing wrong with the resilience system.

7 Likes

Except PvP gear goes all the way to 475 just like mythic+.

Blizzard just has the rating requirements too high.

Imagine how PvPers feel in BFA.

Yikes.

8 Likes

PvE’ers were mad they couldn’t just keep destroying in PvP with thier PvE gear.

10 Likes

That’s spot on!

I don’t understand what the issue is with having two sets of gear

I think it’s the only real way to balance PvP, and it’s not really a big deal

9 Likes

There is none, it’s a non issue that people who are too afraid to just say outright “I want to stomp with PvE gear” keep trying to bring up.

Even now with Azerite and secondaries making or breaking you in PvP you STILL have to carry more than one set of gear for PvE/PvP. So I’m just as confused as you are in that aspect.

2 Likes

Kind of amusing hearing from raiders that pve is harder.

Lololol. Okay, but I can’t predict what an enemy human controlled player is going to do.

4 Likes

PvP Template, what they used in Legion, was the best PvP balancing system.

Because it was stupid. Versatility has the same notion baked into it and is universal.

2 Likes

It was templated, which a lot of people didn’t like. Scaling gear without templating would work, but Blizzard is still working on figuring out how to scale properly.

Resilience was in place for 6 years. It never worked well for any form of PVP except arenas.

2 Likes

This is absolutely not true.

There are raiders who don’t PvP, and there are PvP’ers who don’t raid, but they are not a standing majority bloc for either end of it.

Many PvE players also love PvP. It has ever been thus. Many PvPers enjoy a good raid or running dungeon content.

I would LOVE to hear an official explanation of why resilience was removed. I had a PvE set and a PvP set (as did most people who partook in both content genres), and that was never a hardship.

I like PvP stats just fine, and I like the idea of PvP gear being made available for those who focus PvP over PvE, and I like that gear being better for PvP than PvE gear. The balance, however, is a fine line, and that’s likely at the root of why PvP stats were removed.

Still. I’d like to hear the particulars and understand why. I don’t understand the communication allergy Blizzard so often has, and I’m grateful they’ve been more forthcoming about Shadowlands. I hope the information/communication gate stays open.

1 Like

That’s just not true. You can get a good start on gear with Conquest from random battlegrounds and world PVP.

Rated ladders have little to do with the real forms of PVP that are traditional for this game since Vanilla. Forcing people to do unpleasant game activities to progress is terrible game design, and a recipe for driving them away from the game entirely.

That’s a bit old fashioned, don’t you think?

Sure, back in Vanilla when you had to grind out reagents and resources for your raid, you didn’t have time to pvp, so you either raided or pvp’d. But now a days that’s not so much the case.

Most players have a few raid nights. In between those, they’re either doing Mythic dungeon runs, or having fun in pvp. To say that the community only does one or the other is kind of silly at this point.

1 Like

Because PVP should be accessible to everyone without being one shot, its not fair. it made for an impossible entry to any form of PVP cause you had a 0% chance of winning.

1 Like

That’s a big “if”. My PVP gear helped me a lot in getting raid ready.

Resilience was an imperfect solution that really only worked one time. The thing is that it still worked better than anything before or since.
Resilience worked perfectly in Burning Crusade. There were 4 outliers overall, but even then, they were mostly outliers in BGs, not arenas. Resto Druids, SL/SL locks, Mace Spec Rogues, and Stormherald MS Warriors.

The stat inflation of Wrath made resilience break because it was balanced around Shield spamming Disc Priests.

Grindable resilience gear from the previous season via Honor made for a really good way to get people to participate in both halves of the game. Not to mention the 4-5 Feral Tanks I would grind BGs with for them to farm up resi gear for crit cap.

There was a lot of whining about resilience by classes that required crit to proc things since Resi killed crit, primarily the army Belf Ret Pallies that whined about their sad existence back then.

Basically, resi wasn’t perfect by any means in one niche application where stats seemed to be in a sweet spot to work well with it, but I think the bigger issue is the e-sports obsessed award paradigm for PVP gear now and the fact that class design is too homogeneous to point at the loss of resilience as to why PVP sucks.

Because it’s not a PVP-only problem, it’s a problem with the entire game, which is why a 15 year old version is favored by the vast majority of the player base.

3 Likes

Hardly. Vanilla PVP gear worked better, for example. BFA PVP gearing works better too.

LOL. Classic PVP is a disaster. Whoever attacks first wins. Health Pools even in full PVP gear are garbage. 3 minute mages, Ashkandi Warriors, Ele Shammies, and Hunters literally 2 shot people in less than 3 seconds.

When I quit after BoD I basically gave up. BG’s were terrible and Warmode was just not fun whatsoever. It wasn’t PVP as much as it was sanctioned griefing. Of course locks were garbage outside of niche destro comps in 5’s when I left too.

2 Likes