Why use the AXS mobile app for Blizzcon when it's proven spyware?

That this sorta thing is considered normal makes me glad I don’t own a cell phone.

2 Likes

Yes i’m sure you live an exuberant liberated life

I don’t have shifty businesses tracking me like some sort of wild animal, so yeah.

2 Likes

Cause they would care about you so much now wouldn’t they?

Well that’s me not bothering with Blizzcon, ever if they continue to use an app for access. I don’t have a smartphone. Never felt the need to have one as I don’t need to be ‘always’ connected to something.

1 Like

“Yeah there’s a guy with a crowbar in his hands on my doorstep at 3 a.m… and YEAH he broke my porch light and is currently knocking around out there with something. BUUUUUT He isn’t in my house yet so it isn’t really fair to call him a burglar now is it?”

Fun logic white knights have.

4 Likes

I’m not surprised and shocked at the same time. How many people here, like my Husband, have a strictly company phone? He works for a global corporation, with hundred’s of contacts and phone numbers from around the world. Not only his company, but client companies as well. He receives on average 100+ emails and texts on a daily basis, some with extremely sensitive and proprietary information. An app like that would be extremely dangerous in the wrong hands.

Fortunately, we grew up before the internet came into existence and have always been wary of privacy concerns. We keep things locked-down as tight as possible but today’s generation has only KNOWN the internet and are far too trusting of allowing their private info to get out there.

I’m extremely disappointed in Blizz. If this is the route they wished to go, they should have developed their own in-house app for Blizzcon.

4 Likes

I had to google to make sure - yup I don’t use bluetooth plus there is a difference between being able to be snagged in a short distance and information that can be passed around to 100s of thousands.

Did you watch a certain strwamers video on exactly that? This is why I never make up my mind based on trailers and teasers for games. I am very typically not a first adapter to games.

I k ew what I was fetti g with Division, friend gave me a weekend Beta key. Other than that though, I tend to wait before purchasing a game, for this very reason.

Unless it has impexable pedigree. Like Breath of the Wild. Got that day one too.

Yall may wanna read this before you use that app…
https://theoutline.com/post/5628/how-a-concert-ticket-steals-your-personal-data?zd=1&zi=e5dcqmwb

I don’t use any of that stuff so what now dog.

Also, other things are bad so this bad thing is OK is a sorry argument.

2 Likes

But they are “free” they make money off your data…
Blizzard is charging you 200+ to get in the door…plus get your data…
I never go to these so i honestly have no dog in fight…but imo its disgusted to charge that and double dip with the data…

If this were true anywhere a payment was processed (gas stations, restaurants, department stores, online purchasing sites) you’d have rampant credit card fraud.

It doesn’t happen because the penalty is too stiff. The business becomes liable. For example if you went to Blizzcon and their app was responsible for your bank account being cleaned out Blizzard would be legally liable. Not the bank issuing your card. So that’s number one.

Number two are individuals working alone or in some loose circle of hackers using 3rd party devices like wallet skimmers or those skimmers that are the size of a card they slip into gas machines. In those cases the liability shifts to the worker who did it.

While fraud happens it’s not going to happen like you’re thinking. Credit card fraud is serious when it hits a felony offense. 15 years in prison and 25,000 in fines. Businesses would also be on the hook for fines. It’s just not good at the retail level when it happens.

Edit: In regards to the full personal history I don’t think they share that. From what I saw CC#, name, location. That’s not a whole lot to go on. Personal identity is more than your name and even if they knew your location they don’t know that’s your billing address.

Every app I have ever downloaded pops up with a message saying “this app needs permission to access _____ ______ & ________”

By accepting that you are giving permission (aka consent) for them to take that information. Once they have information you willingly gave them, you cant exactly stop them from using it.

Plus, Amazon does literally everything you listed this app does regarding taking your information and using it. What on earth makes you think this is some attempt by blizzard at identity theft? Heck they already have half of that info already just from your bnet account!

People will overreact to anything this company does and its a combination of hilarious and disgusting to watch.

1 Like

Imo the overreaction is justified when someone has to pay 200+ just to get in the door…and they also want data…

You get it coming and going…

“I dont use websites that require a log in”

-a guy posting on a website that requires a log in.

These guys will put a diablo immortal poster behind the help/support desk and spin it as the largest queue as ‘everyone so excited for immortal!!’ :frowning:

Activision Blizzard pull some disgusting things but this is an all time low, in my opinion. I guess this is the way of the future - everyone’s very personal information is available to everyone. Want to go to BlizzCon? Give us your money and all of your information and we’re going to spread it all over the place. What - don’t you have phones?

To me, this sort of thing is unacceptable.

1 Like

did you read what it actually does?..lol.

An app that ask your permission and tells you want data they are collecting. Sounds like every other convention app.

3 Likes