Why use the AXS mobile app for Blizzcon when it's proven spyware?

they will care when they say their credit card is required for an app with spyware…if not thats their fault.

It could require your social security number and the kind of people that go to Blizzcon would enter it.

It’s not spyware. The terms are pretty clear. And they downloaded the app and hit “I accept” willingly.

2 Likes

So, you say it’s not spyware because you voluntarily download it and it comes with an EXTENSIVE list of what it does. Okay.

But because it is REQUIRED to claim the item you purchased (a ticket) I think I’ll refer to it as malware. Happy? What else would you call a program that does everything this does and is basically supported by blackmail.

And to the folks who say put your money where your mouth is… I don’t have Twitter, Facebook, Myspace (is that still a thing?), Instagram, LinkedIn, any of the other social apps that suck your information, as well as being VERY selective and careful of any apps my phone has. Does this mean my information isn’t out there somewhere? No, of course not. But I am doing what I can to limit my exposure.

it’s a spyware if it saves your credit card numbers, what you click, when you take a picture, where you’re right now and what’s your home address but sure I guess if you accept it… don’t blame for annoying things in the future :man_shrugging:

https://i.imgur.com/hNPCPp3.jpg?1

If you guys actually cared about your privacy you would be using a free operating system with open-source software like GNU/Linux.

I’m no Blizzard shill, I think a lot of what they do is insanely scummy and says a lot about companies taking advantage of an overly capitalist system, but you guys who probably use Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Gmail, Windows 10, who probably don’t even know that telemetry exists on your computer (which you probably didn’t even turn off), (probably also use Google instead of DuckDuckGo) and that the NSA can basically collect your data without due process from the government. You guys have way bigger problems to worry about than an app asking for this data.

I actually can’t tell if this is virtue signalling on behalf of tech people telling other people that their data is being stolen, or genuine concern and ignorance about the actual situation of how bad data privacy is nowdays.

Edit: If you like this post and you think I’m shilling on behalf of Blizzard, you’re dead wrong. I literally don’t agree with you or Blizzard on anything I just don’t like people being ignorant of how people don’t know that most of their data is compromised anyway.

1 Like

can’t wait for the “information leak” later on and the cries after WE TOLD THEM SO :joy: never ever trust apps like this…EVER.

Absolutely the latter. People are told that an app does things that are fairly standard as far as today’s apps go and they’re flabbergasted.

you seem to be a bit self aware of all of it and you’re okay with it? I guess you make some apps or something? :thinking:

I would be worried if some random knows my credit card numbers or where I’m right now than what I do on the internet :thinking:

glad I never paid any of the games I play with credit cards.

Nope. Because that’s not what malware is either.

Malware is software that is specifically designed to disrupt, damage, or gain unauthorized access to a computer system.

Oh… so now we’re going to get even more dramatic and call it blackmail? LOL

People have given you multiple options to get around this crappy app. Even Blizz gave you an option. That’s not blackmail. :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

Pokemon Go knows where I am right now and my credit card number because of the one time I paid for microtransactions and I’m not overly fussed about it, tbh.

1 Like

No, it’s not spyware. It’s an app you agreed to use and hit “I accept” on their terms, which tells you exactly what they have access to. I already linked the definition of spyware. Please read it.

2 Likes

What do you want me to do about it? Do you want me to start a revolution and get everyone to hold huge tech companies accountable for horrendously scummy practices? I’m only one person. We kind of just have to live with this system nowdays or you can literally become Richard Stallman.

I mean, I’m a comp sci. major

I don’t have to read anything, things are there. :man_shrugging:

it’s like saying “if you drink this, you will have a hungover tomorrow do you want it?” if you’re aware of it already then don’t complain tomorrow when you wake up and you don’t feel human anymore.

things that track your stuff = not SPYwares? alright I guess… you’re entitled to your opinion regardless, if you’re so willing to give everything for some enjoyment it’s personal decision here :man_shrugging:

I agree with you that companies like Blizzard should be forced to have more transparency with its users, but honestly I would extend this to literally every other massive tech company as well. It’s wrong for companies to collect your data without your consent (and no just because you didn’t read the ToS doesn’t count because companies don’t believe that anyway, they literally resort to stealing your data with micro-operating systems in CPUs like Intel does).

sighs Not very informed, are you?

Let me repost it. Again. For the billionth time since you want to be lazy.

Spyware is software that is installed on a computing device without the end user’s knowledge. Any software can be classified as spyware if it is downloaded without the user’s authorization. It is installed in a computer without the user’s knowledge and transmits information about the user’s computer activities over the Internet.

Apple tracks your stuff. Google tracks your stuff. FB tracks your stuff. Microsoft tracks your stuff. Are they all spyware, too? :roll_eyes:

Apple sells your data to third party brokers?

Figured you’d do that. “LOL! You don’t HAVE to use it!” Sure, you don’t. OR, Blizzard could have not used this particular service. MAYBE that would have been a better option. But we’ll just skip right past that, right? Let’s ignore that Blizzard had options and chose the worst of the bunch.

You still haven’t said what you’d call it. I am really quite curious if you are actually okay with the level of intrusiveness this app grants.

And what would you call it if not blackmail when there’s a service they tell you you NEED to use to get the item you NEED for entry into the event you paid for? Is there another way to get your ticket? Yes. Would you have known about it without this big blowup? No. Will your average attendee learn about this alternate way to collect their ticket even with these posts in GD and Reddit? No. And even with that, there will be people who will look at the line for using a phone app and the line for the alternative, which I’m sure will be severely understaffed, and just bite the bullet and give up on their privacy.

And, I’ll suggest that maybe Malware should still qualify since it is specifically designed to be disruptive and damaging and give unauthorized access to someone’s personal privacy if there is any breach in their security. Which I’m sure isn’t great. Is it the “correct” definition? No, but closer than anything that has been applied so far.

That wasn’t part of the discussion I was having with someone else, now was it?

And it’s in the terms that they do this. If people failed to read it, that’s on them.

Literally said that earlier if you had actually read my posts. :roll_eyes:

It’s an app. With terms you agreed to. I never said it was a good app. I’ve said multiple times it’s crap. But you haven’t been reading my posts and are trying to start an argument about something I’ve already covered quite a few times.

It’s not disruptive to your phone, it’s not damaging anything and it’s authorized access, because you agreed to it.

You done trying trying to pick a fight over things I’ve already covered if you’d actually read? :face_with_raised_eyebrow: