Why use the AXS mobile app for Blizzcon when it's proven spyware?

Unrelated, but this brings up an interesting point – what happens if the AXS app data gets interrupted somehow? Like if some salty teen brings a cell phone jammer into the Blizzcon entrance line, is the whole admission process shut down? I don’t have AXS so I don’t know if there is an offline mode or something to protect against reception issues.

2 Likes

Come on man, of course Blizzard is making money off this app, there are other apps out there that do the exact same thing without cannibalizing your data and selling it. Blizzard is not stupid to the TEC industry, they know exactly what they are doing and they plan to make $$$ off your data.

1 Like

If someone were to flood the area across all bandwidth channels, that would be impressive. Not sure how they’d get the laptop past security checkpoints. Given they monitor for suspicious activity (standing near the desks) and items left behind (bomb risks)… really not gonna happen.

Also, Solutions Desk exists.

1 Like

“don’t worry, I’m using services from other companies that do all of this 24/7 and I’m selectively choosing to get upset because it’s Blizzard” - people who are outraged

7 Likes

Facebook - spyware
Twitter - spyware
instagram - spyware
mobile apps - spyware
websites that require a log in - spyware
websites that don’t require a log in - still spyware

Seriously, read TOS every now and then, YOU and your personal information, browsing and shopping habits are the product.

If more people realized just how much information can be collected and collated about them I wonder if they would be so complacent about it. The amount of information companies now have access to is astounding and despite all the talk about the how your info is collected, anonymously yada yada it can easily be cross referenced and linked to you

You’re privacy dissapeared years ago, it’s just that not enough people care or not enough people realize. For years we have been giving away our valuable personal information and allowing companies to get fat and rich off that information.

It’s too late to complain about one little app because you have some kind of beef with blizzard.

Again, your privacy is an illusion, that horse bolted out the open stable door years ago.

/rant over

5 Likes

If the AXS app felt more optional, I would agree with you. But Blizzard is doing everything it can to make it sound like you absolutely have to install the app in order to attend Blizzcon. That feels rotten.

https://blizzcon.com/en-us/event-info/tickets/convention-2

“AXS app required”

2 Likes

Wait until the people complaining about this find out how much access Warden has to what you do on your PC while the b.net app is open.

2 Likes

Yeah, the fact that is mandatory is off-putting for sure. It feels very manipulative and clearly has some greed behind it.

But I feel like the “spyware” outrage aspect is a little overblown and feels very fear-mongery.

Just my 2 cents.

Warden? Never heard of her.

At least they aren’t allowed to sniff your RAM anymore.

1 Like

Yes, the service they’re using to enable people to buy/validate their tickets is required. Shocking.

2 Likes

The installation of the app shouldn’t be a requirement. And from what I understand, there is a service desk alternative, but they don’t make that at all clear from the information page I linked (where they straight-up say “AXS app required”).

I’ve never heard of a paid event requiring the use of an app in order to get in. In the past there have always been several options. The pushing of the app as the “only” admission option feels gross and predatory in all sorts of ways.

If data sharing isn’t a big deal to you, why not tell us all your full name and give us a link to your Facebook page?

6 Likes

Pathetic.

But I hope you don’t have a facebook page if you’re getting so twisted about the information gathered by apps like this.

3 Likes

Come on, dude. Put your money where your mouth is.

2 Likes

Yes, social networking and most mobile apps use horribly intrusive practices that gather insane amounts of personal data and intelligence agencies and companies alike can access it anytime they want.

That doesn’t mean it is OK.

1 Like

puts feet up
and yet, people will continue using it while complaining about such practices, because no one actually follows through on their word.

have to question why these weekly fits of outrage even exist if no one bothers to make changes.

2 Likes

Please do me a favor and link to me last weeks fit of outrage about privacy concerns?

Just because it tells you what its doing doesn’t mean it’s not spy ware.

If someone tells you they’re going to kill you and they do, it’s still murder. You can’t go in and say “It’s not murder, I told them I was going to do it.”

Yes most apps and the phone itself are incredibly intrusive. The fact that this brave new world exists and has been built up and pushed on the population without it’s consent or understanding doesn’t mean it’s a good thing.

The world is changing, information is power, and this is a small part of something that is potentially very dangerous to a free democratic future.

And we’re flirting with that dangerous future one small business opportunity at a time.

4 Likes

What is the point exactly?

It is when you agreed to it. Just like people agree to use this app.

It’s not spyware. Stop spreading false information.

Spyware is software that is installed on a computing device without the end user’s knowledge. Any software can be classified as spyware if it is downloaded without the user’s authorization. It is installed in a computer without the user’s knowledge and transmits information about the user’s computer activities over the Internet.

1 Like

It seems to me people defending this practice are not aware of just what could be done with this data set.

Those who would access to that personal information will be able to have full access to EVERYTHING that is related to you:

• your mobile number
  • your bank credentials
  • they know where you live
  • they know what you go and where you’ve been
  • they know who you talk to
  • they can see what you are doing from the cameras of the phone ON DEMAND
  • you have NO CONTROL who gets access to this data

Imagine couple month after Blizzcon your whole bank account gets CLEARED OUT and you won’t even be able to refute it cause a full set of your personal information was used to authenticate that.

Anyone with even 1/10th of a functioning brain would stay the hell away from this thing as far as possible.

This stuff is inexcusable.

6 Likes