Why the lack of Customization?

These are glorious. I’ve seen the last one before.

I’m rubbish at looking for pictures and art like this.

I mean let´s look at the embarrasing resolution for Tyrande´s arc, yuck!!!

Blanduinism killed the story of that faction.

Pinterest will be your very best friend.

1 Like

I don’t think my drawings are the worst but I can’t draw or paint half as good as I want to.

It’s best not to get me started on this.

1 Like

Fair enough, i know it´s a VERY sore point.

Going back to the customization stuff, you ask for “freckles”… granted I´m using the “freckled” face option right now, but I have no idea how to make these more obvious for Belves or Humans or Orcs et al…

1 Like

I plan to do a mock up for belf freckles.

1 Like

Please please DO!!! We appreciate any art we can get for our cause.

3 Likes

I posted this in the 9.1.5 PTR thread, but I wanted to post this here for visibility. Even in 9.1.5, the developers are still cutting every corner when making new options for the Nightborne.

It would be funny if it weren’t so sad. I can’t wait to see what the Void Elves are in for when or if their pass comes around.

:diamonds: Female Nightborne
Regal Bun - Hair missing on the side, whereas the “High Bun” has a fuller hairline.

High Bun - The base hairstyle for the “Regal Bun” hairstyle, but features a fuller hairline. Why go through the trouble of making the “Regal Bun” hairstyle look worse when this perfectly fine base exists?

Topknot
This hairline needs to be lowered and filled in with hair on the side.

Regal
Chunky, blocky, barely resembles hair. If you told me this hairstyle was designed back in 2004 when the game was first released, I’d fully believe you.

Vim
Another hairstyle option with a receded hairline.

Highborn
This hairline is just awful. Is it NPC accurate? Partially. (See below.)

As you can see here, the NPC version has added bits of hair on the side to cover up the weirdly patchy hairline.

Shaggy
I’m at a loss for words as to what’s going on in the back of this hairstyle. It doesn’t even look like hair.

Pigtails
How does this in any way inform the identity of the Nightborne? This should actually be deleted and I’m not exaggerating. The Nightborne are meant to be elegant, even more so than Blood Elves. A utilitarian hairstyle like pigtails makes no sense for the image they’re meant to convey.

Legion Zone Overview: Suramar - With the Nightborne, there are no slums—there are just grades of “How elite are you?” They’ve all been in this bubble for 10,000 years, and they’re trained in hand-to-hand combat and spellcasting. They’re these consummate warriors, but they train as sort of a sport. Because for most of that time, there was no threat. They were closed off from the world. They worked on becoming as elegant as they could, and now you’ve got this arrogant, super-refined culture…

:diamonds: Male Nightborne
Cascade
This hairstyle has the barest level of hair physics, and doesn’t even rest naturally in the back where the hair is longest.

Vigor
Flat, and without texture in the back.

Scalp is exposed underneath the front part of the hairstyle.

Sidepart
Flat in the back, seemingly without texture. Appears identical to the back of the hair in the “Short” hairstyle. Two hairstyles featuring the same low quality texture work in the back.

Short
The back of this hairstyle looks unfinished.

Short Tail
Exposed scalp underneath the front of the hairstyle.

14 Likes

They do retain their own visual uniqueness unlike Blood Elves who found their options gifted to VEs who now also enjoy a second visual theme.

And they were worked on when core races were said to be the focus, and then again a plethora of new options from once again BEs were gifted for their second visual theme which unlike anything Blood Elves got was very impactful.

And yet the devs couldn’t be bothered to work a second visual theme in for BEs during this “AR period”, why not that’s when they gifted it to VEs during time for core races, or even anything unique like Farstrider Tattoos.

I do agree on the if part of your post indeed.

This is also very disheartening to hear

3 Likes

It would be disheartening as a Nightborne player, but this low quality, shoddy work has been the norm since the Nightborne’s release. As it stands right now, if the Nightborne don’t see further improvement before the 9.1.5 release, I’m just going to unsubscribe. It feels like I care more about the Nightborne than any of the developers, and that is pitiful.

I only returned to this game when the developers had a change of heart about customization and it seemed like they were being receptive to player feedback.

I hear you on that, but what I mean is, I’m seeing examples in this thread of what Void Elf players are wanting from future customization options and none of it looks like it’s even remotely in the ballpark of what the devs churn out. Either the developers will go the extra mile for the Void Elves, or we’re going to have some very disappointed Void Elf players when ever their new options come.

7 Likes

My priest was originally a NB bcz I loved them so much but I only play guy characters and I couldn’t stand the male NB face.

Something about the NB silhouette in shadow form I just love more so than NEs in the same shadow form idk why, plus their Highborne culture etc.

The fixes we see NB getting now they should have been had to begin with (like the guy faces and facial hair) so when they were worked on they could get impactful options (which to an extent mana hands are but like where’s the mana hair etc)

I hear you too some of the stuff I find to be out of the realm of reality considering BEs got neither impactful options nor a second visual theme and VEs who retain their visual uniqueness and have a second visual theme are now going to get above and beyond unique options that BEs and most other races didn’t get?

5 Likes

Spent some time coming up with/gathering ideas for tattoos and markings for races that don’t have them. It would be a great way to add uniqueness to each character/race and show off their culture/history.

Worgen Scars

Worgen Scars Concepts

Concept

• Large Visible Scars on the Face/Limbs/Body.
  • Face/Limbs/Body Scars are all separately customizable to mix and match.
  • Current Scars are Delinked from faces with more Facial Scars added.
  • Mostly Bite/Claw marks.
  • All scars can be visible on both Human Form and Worgen Form.

Facial Scars.

• Raked, 3 large claw marks across the entire face.
  • Swipe, 3 claw marks across the bottom half of the face/muzzle.
  • Inner Rage, Claw Marks down the sides of the face.
  • Crescent , One Large Curving Scar across nose/cheekbones/muzzle.
  • Torn, large oval scar with jagged edges on the side of face.
  • Fang, Teeth marks.
  • Stocks, Worn/Scratched area around neck.
    (Note; I am not including the old facial scars as those are established)

Limb Scars

• Bitten, Large outline of a Worgen bite on Arm.
  • Scratched, Claw Marks on Forearm.
  • Gored, Large Jagged patches on Arms/Legs with other scratches.
  • Mauled, Bite and Claw Marks on Arms and legs.
  • Alpha, 3 large Claw Marks on Upper Arms/Thighs.
  • Plagued, Plague Burns/Scars on Arms/Legs.

Body Scars

• Preyed, Large Bite Mark on shoulder.
  • Raked, 3 Large Claw Marks down Back.
  • Rip, Pair of large Claw Marks of chest.
  • Mauled. Many Claw Marks on Chest.
  • Swiped. Many Claw Marks on Back.
  • Clawed. Many Claw Marks on Chest/Back.
  • Animal, Claw Marks across Stomach.
Blood Elf Runes

Blood Elf Tattoo Concepts

Style

• Magester Rommath/TBC Box Art and Indo-Arabic inspired geometric shapes and Sanskrit styled writings.

Position

• Face and Body are separately customizable. (Note; This will help with Demon Hunters who want the new Face Tattoos and want to keep Demon Hunter Tattoos)
  • Large Patterns and Small Runes are separately customizable. Small Runes fallow along patterns of the Large Runes/Lines.

Colors

• Arcane Blue, Fel Green, Sunwell Gold, Blood Red, Arcane Purple, Faded, Black. (Note; These match Eye Colors and Demon Hunter Tattoo Colors)
  • Can be Glowing or None Glowing.

Runic Writing

• Sanskrit Style. Like TBC Box Art
  • Sketchy. Somewhat Cuneiform Styled
  • Geometric. Abstract Shapes and lines.

Patterns

• Scryer. TBC Box Art on Face. Large circular/sweeping lines on Chest/Arms/Back.
  • Rune Master. Large Runes across the Face/Nose Bridge. Large Runes going down Chest/Arms.
  • Sunwell. Large Sun Shape over Eye. Large Sun Shape on Back (Or Chest?)
  • Sunfury. Small Suns on the Shoulder.
  • Grand Magister. Literally based off of Magester Rommath’s Geometric Arms Sleeves. Can continue on Face to just below Eyes/nose.
  • Blood. Large Sweeping line across Eyes with lines going downward under Eyes. (T_T) Large line across Shoulders/Collarbone and going down center of Chest/Back.
  • Filigree. Curving Intricate Patterns down Arms/Chest ending at fingertips/Toes. (Henna Inspired) Starts Under Eyes when on Face and going up ears.
  • Arcane, Asymmetric Circles with dashes/lines going through them.
  • Falcon, A downward pointing triangle on nose and a large sweeping line connecting under the eyes to the ear tips. Similar pattern across chest/back.
  • Ashes, a Large Phoenix on the Chest/Back. Feather Patterns around the eyes and a Flame Pattern lines along the jaw for the face.
  • Phoenix. Literally Farstrider Hanzo’s Tattoo from HotS.
Forsaken Stitches

Forsaken Stitches Concepts

Concept

• Large Stitches across the head/body/arms/legs
  • You can pick a different skin color for each stitched part.
  • Each part is Separately Customizable.

Head

• Skull Cap, a ring of stitches around the top of the head.
  • Phantom, Stitches around the right side of the face.
  • Orbits, stitches around each eye socket.
  • Two Faced, Stitches down the middle of the head from back to front.
  • Grin, Stiches at the corners of the mouth.
  • Muzzle, Stitches around the mouth.
  • Neck, Stitches around neck.
  • Horizontal, Stitches through the middle of the face.

Arms

• Lefty, Stitches around the upper part of the left arm.
  • Righty, Stitches around the upper part of the right arm.
  • Hugger, Stitches around the upper part of both arms.
  • Degloved, Stitches around the forearms.
  • Forearm. A line of stitches over the forearm.

Legs

• Lefty, Stitches around the upper part of the left thigh.
  • Righty, Stitches around the upper part of the right thigh.
  • Trousers, Stitches around the waste.
  • Bootstraps. Stitches around each leg below the knee.
  • Shin Splints, Stitches down the shins.

Body

• Rib Spreader, stitches in the shape of a ‘Y’ down the chest.
  • Zipper, Stitches down the center of the back.
  • Heartless, A line of stitches across the left side of the chest.
  • Gut Wrenched, A line of stitches across the stomached.
  • Kidneys, Line of stitches over the kidneys.
    (Note; these are based off of Artwork from Handclaw)
Void Elf Markings

Void Elf Markings/Tattoo Concepts

Style

• Alleria and Celtic inspired with waving lines and abstract shapes.

Position

• Left/Right Eyes, Arms, and Legs. Note each are separately customizable so you can mix and match.

Colors

• Blue, Purple, Red, Black, Green, White, and maybe a pale Yellow.

Effects

• Normal (Like Alleria in Normal Form)
  • Glowing (Like a Backlight Tattoo/Alleria’s In Void Form)
  • Corrupted which is the Tentacle Effect on the Tattoo for moving/waving patterns.

Patterns

• Scarred, Streaks across the face/limbs.
  • Abyss/Beyond, Curling Patterns in random places. (Triskelion Inspired Design)
  • Entropic, A Waving Tentacle like pattern that covers the majority of the Eye/Forelimb.
  • Consumed, Covering an entire Arm/Leg/Side of Face.
  • Allerian, Literally based off of Alleria’s waving/tendril like pattern.
  • Silver Covenant. WC2/Silver Covenant Homage.
  • The Eye, Large Eye Tattoos. (Dalaran/N’zoth symbol mash up.)
  • Seeker, Bands over Eyes/Arms/Legs.
    (Note, these names came from Dwarf Tattoo naming conventions of naming places/concepts)
Human Mural Tattoos

Human Mural Tattoo Concepts

Style

• Full Color patterns based of Various human Kingdoms and Heroes.

Patterns

• Lothar, A Lion Head Tattoo on the chest.
  • Varian, A Eagle on the right shoulder and a Lion on the left shoulder.
  • Trollbane, A Sword down the chest.
  • Uther, A Silver Hand Fist on the chest.
  • Stormwind, A Lion on the upper back.
  • Stromgrad, Fist on the upper back.
  • Gilneas. Gilneas Crest on the upper back.
  • Dalaran, A Dalaran Eye on the upper back.
  • Lordaeron, A Lordaeron Crest on the upper back.
  • Kul Tiras, A Kul Tiras Anchor on the upper back.
Gnome Grease Marks

Gnomish Grease.

• Grease marks in Black, Brown, Green, and Gold on the Hands/Chest/Face from working with machines.

And here’s some ideas for Goblins from Handclaw that do a better explanation then what I could

Goblins Soot Marks

Goblins Soot

• Soot marks from explosions on the Face/Chest/Arms.
    ( Soot Concepts by Handclaw)
    https://twitter.com/handclaw/status/1284514607441338370?s=20

I got a lot of inspiration for Worgen/Forsaken stuff from Halloween lol

13 Likes

Yeah, not a lot of folks know about Blackmoore. The dude was a literal monster and that story doesn’t really get told outside of the Lord of the Clans novel. Same with Garithos, WoW just doesn’t dive into these dudes. Shame really. Fandral as well now that I think about it… man WoW does a really bad job of breaking down their characters.

3 Likes

The luminous hands option would be meaningful if it were designed a little more thoughtfully and it carried a lot more visual impact.

The audacity of the developers to even consider adding a feature like luminous hands (and done so poorly), when there are so many more pressing issues with the Nightborne model.

The fact that there are fans able to do what Blizzard can’t or won’t is so sad:

8 Likes

Rather like all that I’m seeing here.

Given Varian’s Lo’gosh moniker would it not be better for a Wolf and Lion?

Also, while I support Alteraci for the Horde, its still noted that some refugees from Alterac did end up in Stormwind. Perhaps a tattoo option for a Hawk barreling down on its prey?

Similar to their flag. :stuck_out_tongue:

Very neat stuff!

4 Likes

Well, as much as I’m not crazy about the jewelry for belves in general, if we could get any gem color other than green (blue, red, or purple especially) I’d be a tiny bit happier for my Horde mage.

1 Like

Pandas got so short-changed.

5 Likes

It’s based off of his shoulder pads.

It’s been around 30 years and I don’t think anyone would display that heritage with pride.

3 Likes

One of the nobles is interested in reclaiming the crown of Alterac.

And technically it wasn’t the entire Kingdom that betrayed the Alliance just its king. While most Alteraci dislike the Alliance now (and are mostly among the Syndicate now.) there are still some around who probably do still want to display their heritage.

Also just for fun rp reasons if nothing else. :stuck_out_tongue:

Though it is just a suggestion.

4 Likes

does a dance and sings

I just want onyx skin for LFD ~ :musical_note:

11 Likes

Absolutely. It’s a glorious tone for them.

3 Likes