Why the lack of Customization?

So anyways, Alliance San’layn attached to Void Elves as a subrace, at the same time as other elves getting expanded customization and subrace options ranging from dark rangers to felborne, does actually make sense in the lore, and actually has setup already in the game.

Stretches for me, and also for thee.

Ultimately, given that Void can and has appeared as a variety of other colors other than black and purple, that is justification for them to acquire those colors in their customization which would thus encompass more Void themed customization which many advocate for.

This doesn’t stop those colors from being represented on other races though, including Blood Elves, through alternative and equally valid means. Both Void Elves and Blood Elves have equal and valid claims to the color red. Neither should have it exclusive to themselves. Void Elves through Void Magic means, Blood Elves (and all Death Knights) through Blood Magic means.

11 Likes

neither faction has a claim to san’layn because they arent a part of either. all it takes is another group of san’layn to denounce drevens actions as those of a crazed individual and making friends with void elves who they could have a kinship with giving their circumstances. alleria would be their in. if the alliance accepted something as corrupt as a void elf why not a san’layn

3 Likes

I will never understand the mindset - I actually do, but they really hate it when I point out what leads to that because the truth hurts - of claiming somebody getting something at the same time as them means that they also didn’t get it.

Also, that somebody else getting something doesn’t mean they’re not getting something too, even if it’s different, or that multiple races covering multiple themes but with a different story is also “theft”.

This whole thing is a train wreck I’ve never seen in any other MMORPG.
The tribalism is getting dumb.

Story wise, it’d be nice if they didn’t actually "accept " them and just put up with them because Umbric’s been doing such a good job, they’ll bite their tongue and just look the other way.

We actually need more tension in the Alliance.
Introducing allies like that would actually help a ton.

There’s a few other races that could be introduced down the road (Naga being a major one.) that could build those tensions as well, and provide for some internal political issues within the Alliance.

People say the Alliance is boring, but the moment we start talking about ways to fix that which isn’t them going full crusader, it’s just met with a resounding “but that’s horde”.

IDK, seems kind of dramatic to act like this for a race that is not part of a faction.

I’m not asking for san’layn mind you. And I agree people can see that they should be horde for whatever reason.

But pretending that is wrong to ask for them in the alliance is just absurd. They legitimately have no actual claim to them.

You don’t see the alliance acting all emotional every time the horde asks for Man’ari or Argus broken.

Or every time they say “we should have mogu because we don’t have the draenei model” as if we had more of their models here.

As for red stuff for void elves.

Why not? the void is not “sometimes red” red is a major part of the void. And again, there’s no reason for that to be “horde exclusive”. As mentioned above San’layn don’t even have those eyes, so what?

You don’t see the alliance asking for belves to lose their gold eyes because we have lightforged.

4 Likes

I really want to know why little bat shaped ears don’t suit the void elf kit, and maybe some red tinted void skins. That’s really all they’d need to make them playable, especially because the hair styles already suit the gothic nosferatu theme when you turn the tentacles off.
Bonus would be those giant claws they sometimes tend to have. Gimmie that for my void elves, not even for the subrace.

Like wow, such an absurd request to want gothic customization traits on gothic theme elves that draw heavy inspirations from 80s/90s darkwave and emo subcultures.

When it comes to requests like this, ease of development does matter, and they’d be insanely easy to add to void elves as a subrace.

edit:
A keen eyed somebody just linked me this on Discord.

Imgur

Irony.

6 Likes

oh, dont forget fangs. velves should have that regardless of anything

2 Likes

My actual void elf has big fangs and… yes. I want.

Granted, all elves do have fangs. Thalassians just got itty bitty ones.

1 Like

I think more goth customization on Velves should be a given, without any San’layn stuff.

It’s also funny how Belves keep asking for a second theme, and now are obsessed with San’layn seemingly because it’s a “dark theme” as said above , don’t keep dark themes off belves. But if a second theme is light-themed like the sunwell, they reject it.

So I have to wonder how truthful the entire thing is.

I’m not talking about Fellyn in particular. I’m sure she and many are genuinely interested, but it definitely seems there’s a side who wants “dark” blood elves just to be like void elves. And this seems to be in retaliation to “high elves” that they tried to stop for years.

So who’s being petty now?

I mean, they do, all elves do.

2 Likes

As far as red eyes go, I’m fairly neutral on the matter.

If Void Elves were to get red eyes, I’d have them slitted and more akin to the Old God appearances as well as Azshara, as seen here;

So while I do agree with the Old God reasoning, I’m personally not interested in San’layn options for the Alliance.

Starcursed assets rank much higher for me than red eyes do.

As far as Blood Elves go, I’d personally like to see them get a more Crimson red color, resembling the Blood anima they use, putting the Blood in Blood Elf.

I also support more Undead assets for them, in addition to Felbloods, giving them more themes to be on par with Void Elves :hugs:

17 Likes

i was thinking of a mouth of teeth like yogg saron

https://i.imgur.com/suBHUQV_d.webp?maxwidth=640&shape=thumb&fidelity=medium

Same TBH. those cat-like eyes would be amazing. And starry eyes. And nebulous eyes like sha.

I also think velves should have heterochromia like the animal races do, but in their case due the chaotic nature of void.

I also think velves should get the option to have translucent arms.

That sounds good.

That’d be 2 spooky 4 me but alright.

1 Like

I’ve noticed this.

I’m in a pretty massive Blood Elf guild and when we bring up customization there, Light / Fel are the themes that are usually always brought up, and pheonix motifs are also up there with them. The people playing san’layn (horde) for the most part understand they’re playing an NPC race, and have typically only just brought up red eyes and the dark ranger skins. Hell, I actually linked the lore explanation for san’layn to them earlier and they changed their mind on it because they didn’t do the Alliance side quests, and are routing for it silently. (We’re about to go level our vampires together on A-side later!)

Blood Elves can have multiple themes, they’re baked into their lore, just as humans and every other race can and should be able to cover a range of aethetics.
But when it’s one they don’t personally want, or if it’s in retaliation to the other side requesting something similar, but not exact, it just turns into a crap show.

Just as how most of the high elf threads top posters were all people protesting, the san’layn stuff is a lot of the same people just keeping the exact same thread alive. The statistics don’t really lie in that regard. Why is anybody who doesn’t go with what the leader of that thread, who practically lives in it, going to bother stating what they want when they’re going to be met with hostile negativity?

Their opinions - and those of people on the forums in general - are a minority that try to act bigger than they actually are.

Despite the “huge” amount of derailment for the Alliance high elves, for example, and how much it wasn’t wanted, Stormwind on the PTR was packed for over a week with people making them and just hanging out. There are also Alliance San’layn running around Moon Guard. I literally just saw one flying through to the portal room.

What truly matters in the long term is giving people options. A race can’t demand multiple aesthetics and customization diversity, all while screeching that another group can’t ask for more because it’s too similar.
If I want to play a pale skinned red eyed elf, theoretically, having the option between a dark ranger on one faction would be cool, but then I could also have a choice of playing a vampire over on Alliance.

Starting to get the feeling people are worried they’d leave the Horde if they got San’layn, and that’s sort of the point. We need some races that are actually popular fantasy tropes to entice people to play. That’s not petty, that’s basic game design troubleshooting.

Also, just want to add, this is just one relatively minor customization request that goes alongside the star cursed stuff. It’d just expand on it a bit, because both themes can actually build up the other, just as how Wildhammer stuff expanded general Dwarven stuff.

1 Like

thatactuallysuitsthenosferatuaesthetictoo

Hence my point, it’s just easier to attach them to void elves.

And for the record, yes. Fangs.
I want my gothic elves to have the whole range, from basic vampire, to what the hell happened to you?

Imgur

Imgur

Share the basic bigger ones with Blood Elves because it suits them too.

1 Like

Please don’t be childish. The war is over, you know this.

12 Likes

Blast, come join us in talking about subraces and Lightforged instead of giving him attention? There’s some good stuff tonight if you dig.

I didn’t know others considered disagreements over elves a war.

Regardless RP tools for some the real thing for others I am glad everyone can be happy, now I would hope to see RP tools for BEs with a second visual theme in the same regard.

2 Likes

Anyways, can’t wait for the Horde to get the RP tools to make believe they’re dark rangers and stretch the lore to maybe play pretend they’re san’layn.
Imagination sure is fun, isn’t it?

1 Like