Why the lack of Customization?

My apologies, I should have worded my post more carefully to not give off an impression I wasn’t putting a limit on time.

The thing about most Alliance races (and this is a common criticism from Horde players) is that they’re so interchangeable with Humans that the Alliance boils down to, ‘Humans and Friends.’ This doesn’t happen as often with High Elves as other Alliance races, which is weird. Its why when you see a High Elf, they stand out. They’re rarely decked out in the Stormwind guard armor like so many Alliance races end up. This is also why the Silver Covenant always stands out when it gets involved in the story; they’re their own thing, visibly and story wise.

This is what I mean by, ‘presence.’ Granted we’re talking about some fairly subjective things that are difficult to quantify and measure as is. Speaking for myself as an Alliance player though, High Elves have always stood out in my questing experience, simply because they were never presented as being so easily interchangeable with humans the way every other Alliance race has.

1 Like

Thank you but bump the main Forsaken Customization Thread too :sob:

2 Likes

Just gonna throw this out there for future development, but when it comes to future options for Mechagnomes, can we get options to pick and choose what we want mechanized?

What I mean is, can the sliders for the arms and legs be separated into left and right limbs, and the head options be separated into quarters?

This would allow the player to choose what they want, for example: Both left limbs mechanized, and say, the upper right quarter of the head mechanized with a mechanical eye and metal plate.

Given that MG’s came during a faction war, it’s not to hard to believe there would be injuries (gnomes in this case) that required amputation. And Gnomes, being who they are, would get back on their feet with mechanized bits and integrating them into their biological bodies.

It would bridge the gap between gnomes and mechagnomes and take their story from just “Some gnomes wanted to be more mechanical again” to a more “Once used a means of healing and restoration for some became an addiction to others” with the more mechanized MG’s being the ones who wanted to become mechanical again like King Mechagon, while those less mechanized being ones that wanted to hold on to their biological Gnome side.

7 Likes

Void elves are one of the most popular alliance races only behind humans and night elves, of course they will get more attention than nightborne and LFD. Now it’s allied races time to get more customisation, not core races.

1 Like

I think they need overall more customizations across the board especially for newer races and the aim should be to have the same amount of customization flexibility on all races.

9 Likes

This needs to happen. If the playable Undead are mainly humans, then they should be able to have Afro-centric hairstyles and features of black living humans as well.

Opportunities for additional customization and acknowledgment of player feedback shouldn’t be based on a popularity contest, but need. If a race’s options are lacking, they should be bolstered. It doesn’t bode well for the game to put other races first and leave others far, far in the dust.

I don’t play a Mechagnome, but it would be a cool opportunity for world building if there was a special workshop in Mechagon City where a Mechagnome could go specifically for body modifications. Inconvenient? Maybe. But that would be kinda cool.

11 Likes

Love all of this.

That’s been suggested before, so why not?

1 Like

Hey can Highmountain Tauren get an Eagle mount?

Always felt like that was missing given the Skyhorn.

14 Likes

Hey, Linxy. I hope the devs have seen the outpouring of feedback on the Nightborne’s additions in 9.1.5. Link: Feedback: Nightborne Customization

:diamonds: Male Nightborne
Even after the additions in 9.1.5, one of the main problems with the male Nightborne player model is that they’ve been given scowling, old, wrinkled, haggard faces in an overwhelming number of their customizations. Even the most youthful face for a male Nightborne is still weathered, with under eye bags and darkness.

• Male Nightborne need fully youthful face options, with varying features such as a slim, straight noses, defined cheekbones, as well as the purple eye shading that the Nightborne NPCs have. No under eye bags, smile lines, nasolabial wrinkles, forehead wrinkles, or scowling, angry faces
  • Fuller hairstyles with appropriately youthful hairline that encapsulate the Nightborne’s identity of being regal. No receding hairlines or patches of hair missing.
  • The male Nightborne’s body proportions make shoulder equipment look entirely oversized and ridiculous. Either scale the shoulder gear for them or make the necessary changes to their model.

:diamonds: Male Nightborne Hairstyles
These hairstyles need major improvements in quality and design. Overall, I don’t find that the new hairstyle additions for the male Nightborne bolstered their identity as regal elves and are incredibly bland. What it did do is give them even more old, unappealing, advanced hairline options.

Cascade - Similar to the Nightborne female’s hair options, this one looks flat and low quality. This hairstyle is also without hair physics.
Bun - Another option ruined by an advanced hairline option we didn’t need. Please lower the hairline.
Braided - Another option ruined by an advanced hairline option we didn’t need. Please lower the hairline.

:diamonds: Female Nightborne
As with the male Nightborne, too many of the customization options express an “old” appearance; advanced hairlines, gaunt cheeks, wrinkles galore.

• Female Nightborne need more fully “youthful” face options that are completely without wrinkles, smile lines, or undereye bags.
  • Female Nightborne need fuller hairstyles with appropriately youthful and full hairline that encapsulate the Nightborne’s identity of being regal.
    *Using embellishments (crown/tiara) to cover up an advanced hairline is not appealing.
  • The Pigtails hairstyle needs to be removed. This hairstyle in no way represents the Nightborne’s identity and makes me question the design choices being made for this race.

:diamonds: Female Nightborne Hairstyles
These hairstyles need major improvements in quality and design.

Regal - Graphically, this hairstyle looks incredibly poor. It’s chunky, without basic hair physics, and looks more like a hat than actual hair.

Vim - The advanced hairline is unappealing and again, reads as old. Nightborne players have been consistently asking for the exact opposite. On the side, it looks like there’s hair missing.

Topknot - Way too advanced hairline that makes the forehead look too large.

Highborn - Although NPC accurate, the patchy hairline looks horrible.

Regal Bun - One of the newer hairstyles, and could be a fantastic addition if improved. On the sides of the head, it looks like there is hair missing and would look majorly improved if filled in.

:diamonds: Both

• The quality of the original Nightborne hairstyles that pre-date 9.1.5 PTR need to be improved. These hairstyles are incredibly low-quality in terms of texture, lack of hair physics, and general appearance.
  • In a number of hairstyles, the hairline of both the male and female have hair missing from the scalp, with their head visible underneath the hairstyle. Example: Compare the female Nightborne’s “Highborn” hairstyle with the NPC Nightborne’s version of the same hairstyle.
  • Need for varied hairstyles textures; wavy, braided hair.
  • Options for varying eye colors (purple, gold, blue) and skin colors (light blue, light pink).
  • The visibility of body and face tattoos needs to be increased.
  • Arcane hair and skin (hands and feet) effects featured on the NPCs would be a great addition that would also bolster their appearance.
14 Likes

But that’s what you guys have to understand, the NPC models are rigged and made differently from the playable races where not everything will translate well.

So it’s cool to ask for what’s on the NPCs, but don’t take it to be ‘since it’s on the NPC model already it should be easily added to playable model’.

This is why even when they added the slimmer eyes it’s still not like the NPC models because the player models have to be able to do things the NPC ones cannot.

And I also want to say I’m not ever saying don’t ask for anything, just understand that certain things that are going to be asked for may take a longer time to implement.

1 Like

Woo! Support for San’layn/Dark Rangers for the Horde! Be it AR, Blood elf skins, or a forsaken toggle! Hope to see a good variety of options if they do get added!

15 Likes

I would just be satisfied if they gave all the races the 3 unique DK skins and let US make the dark rangers however we want to make them.

It clearly is. Who decides who “needs” more customisation? According to this forum nightborne and blood elves are the races who need the most, they are always asking for more (which is fine tbf) and complaining about what they got.

The situation of the Nightborne and Blood Elves are completely different and cannot be compared.

The Nightborne need more after the shoddy rush job Blizzard released them in, while the Blood Elves want more after their customization options became shared with an Alliance race, diminishing their uniqueness.

10 Likes

Did you ever think that maybe just maybe if Nightborne were what they were supposed to be to begin with people would have been satisfied with just getting some new customization options, same thing with Blood Elves if everything they had gotten wasn’t so small (mostly jewelry for only females) and the rest hadn’t been shared to Void Elves they might be happy as well. Try looking at it from a perspective that’s not just your own and bias because of that.

4 Likes

Hello everyone!

We hope that you’re enjoying the new customization options that are now available on the 9.1.5 PTR for Nightborne, Lightforged Draenei, and Void Elves. We’re loving all the screenshots of the new looks that have been shared so far and we appreciate all your feedback.

We want to add some more excitement to your day. Remember when we said that we’ve set our sights on Highmountain Tauren next? Well… those new customization options for Highmountain Tauren are currently targeted to be implemented in time for 9.1.5! Here’s a sneak peek at some of those options. :blush:

New Highmountain Tauren Customization Options

54 Likes

Don’t forget about the Void Elves, they need a flying mount too. A suitable Mag’har mount is gated behind a paywall at least and the rest should be available in the game through mount drops or vendors.

1 Like

Wow, the Highmountain Tauren look great. The bangs on the second female model are very cute.

Aw, thanks for expressing your hopes. I love that for you. But Nightborne players haven’t experienced much enjoyment yet, actually. At least not for the most part.

Link: Feedback: Nightborne Customization

14 Likes

Looks great, loving all the new details like carved horns and beaded hair.

Highmountain and the normal Tauren could use some more face options.

He’s a list of some ideas for future customizations for Allied Races.

Void Elf/High Elf Ideas

Tendrils

• The Tendril Toggle should also add Tendrils for all haircuts in addition to removing them.
    This allows for more variety by more haircuts with or without tendrils.
  • Options to change the Affects on Tendrils. Like Glowing/Transparent/Corrupted.

Markings/Corruption

• Tattoos/Markings like Alleria in Void/Non Void Options.
    To allow players to have the “Alleria Fantasy” and shows they are followers of her.
  • Scars/Void Marks.
  • Entropic Embrace customizations. Like Changing/Disabling the effects.
  • Dark Void Skin/Hair/Eye options.

Void Elf Tattoo Concept by Keyboardturn.

Nightborne Ideas

Faces/Hair

• Some Younger/Less Scowly Faces.
  • Face Shape Options.
  • Pastel hair colors. (Including Pink)

Effects

• Glowing Hands/Feet/Hair like the NPCs.
  • Felborne Options.
  • Green and Dark Purple Eye Colors.

Accessories

• Arcan’dor themed Jewelry.

Lightforged Draenei Ideas

Misc

• Dark/Obsidian Skin Tones.
  • More Eye Colors.

Highmountain Tauren

Misc

• More Face Options.
  • Pure White and Pure Black Fur.
  • More Warpaint Colors.

Kul Tiran

Misc

• Sailor Arm Tattoos and Back Tattoos.
  • Bigger Beards/Mustache. (Possibly Pirate Like)
  • More Face Options

Hope we can see some more stuff added in the future.

29 Likes

Truly thank you for this!

I can’t wait to see them!

I know that eagle mount I mentioned is probably not gonna happen soon or anything but it’s been a very consistent request I’ve seen for Highmountain and I hope you pass that along for us.

One day I’d like to take my Skyhorn Tauren through the skies on the back of his own eagle!

(also be nice for Frost Dwarves if those ever get released)

Again though thank you.

14 Likes