Why Sylvanas is the way

Pretty soon it’s going to be upgraded to a villain Doomhammer.

See! Your ire is misplaced.

Your intonation of a possible Thrall villain bat shows that the Forsaken and the Elves are not the issue with the Horde - in and of themselves.

The issue is how the writers portray the Horde.

Garrosh was anti elf and anti undead, an Orc Supremacist. That sort of Horde was taken down with gusto from the launch of MoP.

This time… the players who agree with Sylvanas are not simply Forsaken and Elf players.

10 Likes

If they make Sylv right while Garrosh was wrong that’ll be it for another good chunk of the Horde though.

We just… really did not need another civil war plot, this is painful.

2 Likes

There is always fresh real-estate available in northrend.

There are somethings I could agree with Garrosh about, but then he fell off the wagon and started to go full potato. And started mistreat the Trolls and Tauren. And then began resorting to more dishonorable tactics in his war against the Alliance. His treatment of elves and Nu-scourge were fine by me. The Forsaken especially had it coming after wrathgate not to mention using Horde and even Alliance bystanders for dark lady sanctioned experiments.

I just wish we could have finished the job. It is all too predictable. She wants peace through undeath, and if necessary death. After she scourges her way through the alliance, it will more than likely be the living horde races next. It arguably was in her character all along. She was bad news from the launch of the game. She must go and so must the writers.

1 Like

And wrathgate? That was not a complete retcon. Sylvanas will feed her own to the woodchipper of history to make her plans work more smoothly. She will even betray close “friends”. Saurfang could not win against her. I wouldn’t blame him for accepting help from the alliance. She is not honorable, and would “Cairn Bloodhoof” him instantly. Sylvanas needs to be approached in a different manner. Preferably as loot pinata.

As far as wrathgate goes… I suspect the writers knew and kept that little tidbit about her having planned the whole thing an in-studio secret to be unleashed later. Alex probably had what we call a bit of “drunken honesty”. The type of short-lived honesty that escapes from you only for you to realize not too soon after that you messed up and let something loose.

1 Like

Preach.

My only solace as on old Horde fan is coming with WC3 remastered and Classic I guess.

Those sound fine to me. In line with the faction’s characterization and giving me a choice? Cool. I hope the Human paladin option is WC2’s bad cop Turalyon take. I loved him back then.

Though I feel like I should throw in: Sylvanas was betraying the Horde by killing Alliance civilians AND Tauren in vanilla. Nothing in BfA is mischaracterizing her. Aaand betrayal/conflict of motivation is sort of a staple Horde story element. From WC to WC3 to now. Not wanting it while choosing to play Horde feels alien to me, sorry.

1 Like

Established cold war scenario where the Alliance feels like a legitimate threat to Horde’s survival, and both the “honorable” and “dishonorable” characters in the Horde feel like they have a place.

3 Likes

We didnt get any choice but to be in your faction. How is it fair to punish us for that?

5 Likes

There might be a light at the end of the tunnel then. At the end of this, there might be a third faction you can all run off to, or there will be no factions and I can wander away from this dumpster inferno.

P.S. Please take the pandaren with you. Wouldn’t want to go hungry along the way. I will also direct the Vulpera your way if I see them.

What do I want?

I want to play as part of the Horde that I signed up for. The one that Blizzard describes but seems unwilling to actually give us. I don’t mind fighting the Alliance, and I don’t mind being a villain for Alliance characters. But I don’t want to be a villain in my own story.

I just want what Blizzard told me I was buying in the first place. Is that too much to ask?

22 Likes

Man.

If they split the Horde… Let the filth remain.

Allow Blood Elves, Undead, Nightborne, Goblins, and Vulpera to make their own Faction…

Sign Me Up. I am tired of the Rock chewing Orcs who kill babies while whining about honor.

4 Likes

Chewing rocks builds character and strengthens your teeth. Also a good source of minerals. Try it some time. You might look less anemic.

4 Likes

Take me with you please. I want to be where the good Horde aesthetics are.

1 Like

All I’m seeing is people who were in denial for a decade, and were told they were in denial for that entire decade (or at least 8 years of it), throwing a temper tantrum that they were wrong and were told by Word of God that they were wrong.

He outright stated that her MO is plausible deniability, which means you were just falling for it hook, line and sinker. Like total fools. Own up to your mistakes and stop mistaking your flawed head canon with actual canon.

9 Likes

This is ignorance at its most adorable.

Watch the Wrathgate cinematic. Read Chronicles description of Dranosh’s death.

Then say lore has not changed one iota.

5 Likes

i think she was talking about whether or not sylvanas ordered the blighting

1 Like

So is pure good. I do not know why blizzard thinks we want either extremes.

1 Like

I know she is directly talking about “Sylvanas ordering the Blighting!”…

But how can any fool sit there and accuse fellow WoW fans of willful, self serving “head canon”… When it was intentionally vague - and the whole cinematic itself is retconned!

That seems like a biased attack on the fan base, that ignores all the retcons surrounding the Wrathgate.

10 Likes

I feel as though Blizz realized this kinda since we are getting the option now to stay in support of Sylvanas when we’re going to encounter Zappy eventually. I know the cinematic for Saurfang came out after that was added in, but that thing must have already been in the works.

I somewhat doubt Blizzard’s ability to write anything but those extremes.

They certainty haven’t demonstrated it, if they have it.

4 Likes