Why Sylvanas is hated and Arthas isnt?

Another notable example, that likely inspired Hernan Cortes to do exactly the same action given he said to his sailors what the previous guy said to his sailors, was Tariq ibn Ziyad.

Like Cortes was fully self aware what he was doing lol

Anyway we have word of God (aka Dev statements) saying Arthas was evil of his own free will and the things he did were evil and are to be understood as evil and every decision he made was leading him to further evil, so going against that just proves you’re just doing an edgy trolling bit.

10 Likes

Do you think she shared this tidbit of information with them?

I swear to God some posters just do not understand characters are people living in this setting and do not know as much as we do.

10 Likes

Upon completion of the Frostmourne mission in Warcraft 3:

Mal’Ganis: So, you’ve taken up Frostmourne at the expense of your comrades’ lives, just as the Dark Lord said you would. You’re stronger than I thought.

Arthas: You waste your breath, Mal’Ganis. I heed only the voice of Frostmourne now.

Mal’Ganis: You hear the voice of the Dark Lord. He whispers to you through the blade you wield. What does he say, young human? What does the Dark Lord of the Dead tell you now?

Arthas: He tells me that the time for my vengeance has come.

Mal’Ganis: What? He can’t possibly mean to–

Arthas charges Mal’Ganis and kills him with a single strike from Frostmourne.

Arthas: It is finished.

That bit of dialogue was probably one of the few times Arthas was actually honest with what he wanted, which was vengeance (not be emperor of the world or something).

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Frostmourne_(WC3_Human)#Mission_Complete

13 Likes

Does it matter?
Even if she didn’t your first response is join her and kill more people and send them there?

Or is it to just say “Oh wow fighting is stupid if at the end we end up in hell. Lets go tell everyone it isn’t worth it”

No but you are right the most logical decision is to join who killed you to kill more of your own people.

Well thats after he took the sword. And he took it because he was running out of options. Arthas didn’t know the sword was up there when he went after Malganis from Lordaeron, and I am not going to headcanon if he was being honest for the first time or if his mind was taken over since he literally say all he needs now is the voice of the sword to tell him what to do.

I get you guys hate Arthas but lets not make him something he isn’t.

2 Likes

Yes.

The undead aren’t really in the killing business. Be sort of wasteful.

2 Likes

Not in the question I posted.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Seriously?
They are the most prolific killers in Azeroth only surpassed by Orcs.

Do the Orcs turn the dead Draenei into more Orcs?

It’s more temporary soul displacement.

1 Like

Nope Orcs turn them into corpses and so the forsaken/undead.
A corpse is a corpse my man. Everyone knows that.

Because she magically waived her censorship wand at Garrosh.

She burned down a tree.

She told me I was nothing.

Invincible plot armor

1 Like

Are we being punk’d here? Did we somehow stumble upon the self aware wolves subreddit within these forums?

5 Likes

-Garrosh and Arthas went down the path they did because they had good intentions originally, even then they still had some redeeming qualities
(so the posibilty of redemption isnt entirely impossible)
-Sylvanas’ motivations are unclear even now but they seem to entirely selfish and far more damaging that anything Arthas or Garrosh ever did

-With Arthas at least there was a degree of separation from us due to the rts nature of the game
-Due to the mmorpg nature of the game it can feel for some people as though everything Sylvanas is doing she is doing to us

-Arthas and Garrosh are simply cooler :sunglasses:

I can blame both. Its not like Sylvanas wasnt already shaddy as hell before this.

https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/sylvanas-is-a-raid-boss/874653/19

Weapons and gear dont carry over to the shadowlands as per Alexandros, so no frostmourne or helm. Although he himself would probably prefer Revendreth i can see the Jailer sending him to Maldraxxus since how much control Arthas had over his actions is… complicated

Bolvar lost his cool pretty much the second Tirion put the helm on him, and the first lines we hear in the undead campaign is that the first soul Frostmourne claimed was Arthas’ own- which explains why he did a complete 180 seemingly overnight

For that matter, the last lines of the human campaign is that he was driven mad by the whispers of Frostmourne

5 Likes

Sometimes I like to think the helm played “Never going to give you up” by Rick Astley on a loop and that’s why the Lich King’s were all loonies.

It also makes Bolvar’s warning to Sylvanas about the helm when he thought she was going to put it on more humorous.

3 Likes

I actually unironically like that song lmao

4 Likes

Someone more talented than me should actually edit the Shadowlands cinematic trailer so when Sylvanas lifts the helm, you can faintly hear the music playing.

2 Likes

Brother you are making up stuff with nothing to back it “This is the first time Arthas was honest” how do you get to this conclusion? Where in the story are all these dark inner dialogues happening that I missed?

For christ’s sake its a pretty simple story. Good Naive Prince wants to do good.
In order to do it he keeps taking shortcuts and questionable decisions.
Well turns out the evil people planned this all along to convert him to their side.

This is like a YA book plot for half the books in fantasy genre. Its really really simple. Arthas wanted to be good and the dreadlords used it against him to do the one thing he didn’t want to happen.

So your interpretation is unassailable truth and everyone else is making ish up?

9 Likes

I asked for proof didn’t I?
Isn’t there a book out on Arthas? I never read it but perhaps someone who has can tell us the latest lore of what was going through his head when he chased Malganis.

The latest lore is Blizz saying he was responsible for his actions lmao

3 Likes

Lol I never said he wasn’t.
What do you think we are talking about here?

“Oh? An answer to my question? Well - that’s not what I was asking for. Oh you explained why I’m wrong? Well- you’re all just overthinking things. This is a very simple and silly story and that’s why I’m asking in depth questions about character motivation”

7 Likes