Why SV is so hated?

I just switched from BM to survival recently and I found it a ton of fun. I really enjoy the melee build of my hunter. However when I search SV hunter all i see is hatred and complains.
Am I missing something major here? Why do people hate this spec so much?

5 Likes

Probably because it was created by essentially deleting a spec quite a few people enjoyed. If Blizz had made melee SV a 4th spec rather than nuking ranged SV it probably wouldn’t be as big of an issue.

60 Likes
  1. Survival is a melee spec when melee dps is the most common dps type(13 melee specs as of legion vs 10 ranged specs) in the game, feral druids and enhancement shamans get similar treatment.
  2. Of all the melee specs in the game it has the least utility, in fact it loses utility from bm since it can’t have a spirit beast, and gets no survival unique utility.
  3. It isn’t broken or meta(outside of pvp) and hasn’t been since they made it melee, making it hard to compete with things that are. Long story short it doesn’t have any broken damage types, or unique sources of damage scaling like unholy aoe right now, or sub rogue before 8.1.
  4. It only replaced survival because survival historically had the most melee options back when the dead zone existed, and it didn’t seem to be a well thought plan since melee survival has not been a thriving spec in pve since implementation. Worse it seemed like a gimmick to make legion more exciting similar to other specs that got exciting and controversial reworks like demo locks and shadow priests.
  5. It did all of this while replacing one of the most popular hunter specs.

That said I’ll admit that I don’t personally hate melee survival as a spec, mechanically it has some cool stuff, but I do believe it was a mistake. So many things were done wrong with it, from deleting ranged survival to not having a competitive or reasonable reason to play it if you don’t LOVE the spec. I’d even argue that they should have based the melee hunter, if they absolutely had to make a melee hunter at all, around a dual wielding rexxar bm hunter rather then a random spear-tauron who was fleshed out to make the spec look more lore friendly.

38 Likes

Pretty much this. The Hunter playerbase lost a huge amount of players in Legion when ranged SV was deleted and replaced with melee SV. Now you even have the group that misses Legion’s pure melee SV because currently it is a ranged/melee hybrid mess. Blizzard just keeps digging themselves deeper because they aren’t willing to accept that they made a colossal mistake. They should have introduced melee Hunter as a new fourth spec without deleting ranged SV. Heck, it essentially was a new fourth spec. All they had to do was give it a different name and not delete melee SV.

29 Likes

You’re taking advantage of a spec that was stolen from a bunch of other players. I’m surprised nobody has /spit on you yet.

14 Likes

The spec is really not hated, dont let the same 10 ish people on the forum hating on it fool you. There’s tons of ppl that love it.

14 Likes

Cause throwing a grenade at point blank range is dumb.

27 Likes

I love playing survival but it is practically impossible to form groups as one because people would rather have ranged. I miss ranged survival but I can make due with melee as its still fun.

You can make your own group sure, but in my experience people have just left after they see I was survival, it takes about a 10 people leaving in order to actually find some to stay.

If you’re going to play survival join a guild so you can run mythic+ with and have fun otherwise you are wasting your time pugging as survival.

it really depends on when you started playing hunter. i’ve been playing hunter for 10 years. i use to love playing all three specs but now my favorite spec was deleted, mm has become a clunky-ish mess that relies too much on standing still and bm is immensely boring. the current survival is just a bad mesh of bm hunter and warrior in my mind.

though if you didn’t have any attachment before hand, you are probably much less likely to have such extreme anger.

hunter used to be left alone for the most part. we had three fun play styles. we weren’t broken when it came to dps and the most rage inducing part of our class were idiots who couldn’t control their pets.

now the class is just a mess.

38 Likes

That changes nothing. Every classes have changed over the years… the majority have accepted it and moved on.

Well thats your personal opinion, if you feel like a mess… well nothing I can do to help you.

But let me assure you, class is far from a mess. It was hurt with pruning, like all classes on WoW, but its getting back up.

You can find fun on all 3 spec currently.

6 Likes

Actual Survival Hunter mains who devote their time to the spec talk about the animosity and contempt it gets from other players, even other Hunters. It’s time to stop with this delusion that Survival is secretly a widely popular spec and everyone is just under the wrong impression about the community perception of it.

33 Likes

Its time to stop the delusion that it is the most hated, that no one loves it, that it ain’t played, that its not following the player’s personal fantasy, that it ain’t a hunter fantasy, that it has nothing, and w.e nonsense.

The truth:
SV not much used for pve, loved in pvp.
SV isn’t a near not played spec, a lot plays it.
SV is a fun spec to some and not to others.
SV is part of the hunter fantasy
SV isn’t a copy of BM
SV is capable to clear all content well enough
SV is versatile, hybrid range-melee
SV isn’t the old SV.

3 Likes

Maybe you should go tell this to actual SV Hunter mains who like the spec being melee who are under the correct impression that SV is an unpopular spec. Hell, tell it to Blizzard who have directly talked about the spec being unpopular. You’re literally the only person I’ve seen on any forum try to argue that the spec isn’t unpopular. It’s such a ridiculous stance that not a single other person has taken up the mantle and tried to back up that position. I guess you can be proud of yourself for that?

20 Likes

Yeah i remember ion in interview when asked in legion why few is playing sv he said he knew it would be niche spec after changes which sounds like they expected it to not be popular. You dont usually say something like that unless it was pretty low.

16 Likes

Yea, because im here…

Because its harder to speak of good than to complain and trash. You can hate and be mad at the spec all you want, it doesn’t change much really. The spec is good, its played, its loved.

Obviously… but have you looked at the time now?

1 Like

The spec is bad, it’s abandoned, it’s hated. See, I can just declare things and consider them to be true as well.

Just a friendly reminder that Survival never saw anywhere near this level of drama and hatred when it was ranged. This was melee Survival’s doing.

25 Likes

The said drama is only brought up by the same small crew of crusaders. Pure haters of the spec. Otherwise its the same as other class. You have people missing the old spec and those loving the new one.

3 Likes

BellularGaming, in a video concerning WoW Hunter design that now has 100,000 views, says that Survival is a worse version of Beast Mastery, is severely underplayed, that melee Hunters never existed and Blizzard misunderstood the wishes of the playerbases when they made melee Survival, and that melee Hunters needs to be “reconsidered or discarded”. This is not the niche non-issue you think it is.

25 Likes

/lol

BellularGaming

What an amazing scource of information you have… taking his personal opinion on things as valid data.

3 Likes

Well how about this then. Went to Belluar’s video.

It has 2.9k likes and 188 dislikes.

Also did a ctrl+f search of the page for the words “like” “good” “great” and “wrong”. In the whole page of comments there is 1 person… count them 1 who said they liked melee srv in legion but haven’t touched it since bfa pre-patch. Not a single comment saying they think melee surv is good, is great or that belluar is wrong.

So tell me how popular melee surv is again? Or are you going to come up with some nonsense like everyone commenting and liking the video are brainwashed or something.

24 Likes