Why survival rdps is a bad idea

Speak for yourself. Give me my stat stick(s).

Let me hang dual axes on the hip while I have my bow on my back, or bow and polearm on the back BotW style.

I’d also take Wing Clip in addition to Concussive Shot.

I’d also like my Warrior to have a bow for pulling enemies without burning Taunt or Heroic Throw, for my Mage to have a staff AND a wand (since wands have no model when sheathed), and for my shaman to get his relic back.

2 Likes

Did you even read the statement you quoted?

Id be happy with some version of this but Id prefer for it to continue to exist within SV personally. Bring back RSV within current SV. Tune it and make it work. Bring back some beloved SV elements from the past, keep the bombs.

As far as melee goes, people who like the melee hunter already dislike the amount to which the pet plays into our damage and focus regen.

1 Like

They aren’t going to give hunters a 4th spec though. Only 1 class in the game has 4 specs, and that is because that class has 4 possible roles.

What they should do is just delete melee survival which is an abortion of a spec that nobody wanted and nobody plays.

Sure did. Did you?

I’d be happy if MSV survived as a talent option within SV. A hipster build for world content, RBGs and dungeon/low m+. With late expansion options that surprise in their power in other content. Like when prot warrior performs well in PvP. It’s fun to play the non meta spec sometimes JUST because it’s non meta.

Or they could just let SV use any weapons they can equip, and tweak the toolkit to allow for that.

1. Remove the 50% damage penalty for SV Auto Shot.
  2. Give SV baseline Multi-Shot, Counter Shot, and Concussive Shot.
    a. Multi-Shot should be 1:1 with Carve, meaning either Carve gets its CD removed, or Multi-Shot gets a CD for SV only.
    b. Counter Shot and Muzzle would trigger each other’s cooldowns, to prevent SV from being the uncontested best interrupt spec in the game.
    c. Concussive Shot needs no interactions with Wing Clip, as Wing Clip has a resource cost while Concussive Shot has a cooldown.
  3. Allow Multi-Shot and Arcane Shot to proc talents and legendary effects (Viper’s Venom, Tip of the Spear, Birds of Prey, Butcher’s Bone Fragments, Latent Poison Injectors, Rylakstalker’s Confounding Strikes,) that are currently procced by Raptor Strike and Carve.

Boom, fully functioning RSV inside current MSV.

To go one step further, make Terms of Engagement baseline and replace with Lacerate. Give Lacerate a chance on dealing damage to reset the cooldown of Wildfire Bomb and cause your next two Wildfire Bombs to cost no Focus and trigger no cooldown. Optionally, remove or baseline another underperforming talent and replace it with Serpent Spread, causing Raptor Strike, Carve, Arcane Shot, and Multi-Shot to apply Serpent Sting to all targets hit.

In addition to this, remove the 2h requirement from all weapon strikes, letting them work with Dual Wield as well. Also allow Kill Shot to work with melee or ranged weapons.

Then, change Focus regen. Remove Kill Command from the spec entirely, replaced with baseline Flanking Strike (which works as a gap closer if you have a melee weapon equipped, and a regular weapon attack if you have a ranged weapon equipped). Give it KC’s reset mechanic. Make the Kill Command talent grant the ability AND the talent as one option, and replace Flanking Strike with a talent that causes all DoT ticks to regen 2 Focus per tick.

5 Likes

I like any conversation that explores this line of thought.

1 Like

I think having a cosmetic melee weapon and even Wing Clip is fine. The way Wing Clip works at level 3 is it pulls out a generic axe just for the attack. But statsticks are problematic. Having to maintain a melee weapon as a Hunter caused a lot of friction in group content.

2 Likes

I think personal loot was a better solution to this problem than trying to make hunters not need on every weapon by restricting their weapon choices.

Keeping a stat stick is no worse than keeping a stat thrown weapon for prot warriors or rogues now that we have personal loot.

Also, it’s like another trinket or ring and it’s nice, even if you never do anything with it.

1 Like

Their weapon choices weren’t restricted. Their weapons were already ranged weapons. The melee weapons were only stat sticks. Removing the need to have stat sticks and those stats be on the actual hunter weapons reduced the amount of gear that hunters needed by 1-2 slots and reduced the competition for weapons.

Without the additional weapon slots, it made it so hunters didn’t have to worry about a melee trying to get a bow that dropped because it was better than the one they were carrying for little to no reason at the point the ranged slot was removed.

On the same token, making it so hunters only needed ranged weapons made it so melee didn’t have to worry about trying to compete with hunters for melee weapons for essentially the same reason. It being better than what the hunter had because they had to carry around a melee weapon for little to no reason.

I agree. I wouldn’t mind being able to throw some dagger on my mog for purely cosmetic purposes.

It’s really annoying to have to spend time collecting something you’re rarely if ever going to use or have no use for. Getting a melee weapon just because you need the stats and have little to no use for it beyond the stats is extremely dissatisfying.

3 Likes

And yet, throughout BFA we scrapped and or vendored SO MUCH LOOT! Getting things is fun, even moreso when it is an upgrade. A LOT of people like having cosmetic gear and A LOT of people feel that melee weapons are a part of the hunter fantasy. Wing Clip is a cool hunter ability which uses a melee weapon, even if it is just a generic axe a la the SV hunter’s generic crossbow. In the world of personal loot, if upgrading your melee/ranged weapon slot is a chore that seems like an issue, it’s a problem of loot drop chance, not a problem of too many slots.

1 Like

At this point you’re just coming up with tangents and excuses. It was not fun. It will never be fun. Stop trying to force a tried and unpopular option because you don’t think it will be “that bad” or whatever. Having a cosmetic weapon option would be fine. Having to maintain a melee weapon stat stick would be a major burden. It’s not a “fun bonus” like you keep trying to frame it.

That’s just like… your opinion, man.

Getting things that you have a use for or there is a potential use for is fun. Being forced to collect something you don’t have much or any use for, or the use is very unsatisfying is not.

How many is a lot? Is it the less than 5% that play survival?

1 Like

Like every passive trinket… or rings?

Plus how ever many people tried survival but stopped because it was a clunky and dissatisfying class at lower levels, plus the people who quit because they were tired of getting kicked immediately after getting accepted to pugs, plus the people who switched to MM when they became the PvP meta, plus the people who never chose SV because they don’t see hunters as SOLELY melee, but as a hybrid wilderness warrior.

I’m sorry are you trying to compare, trinkets with passive effects to stat sticks? Like for real?

I get 1,000,000% more use out of passive trinkets than I ever got out of melee weapons.

Plus all the BS you just made up and have no way of proving who in that laundry list of groups actually agrees with you.

1 Like

You said things for which the use is very unsatisfying. That seems to include anything that doesn’t have an “on use”.

Anyone who hypothetically belongs to that list (and we can assume that they exist) created an SV character for a reason. The assumption I’m making is that they made an SV character for a reason other than to come on here and say “I tried it and still hate it!”.

Way to try to twist that to mean what you want it to mean.

A use, as in there is a use for it beyond it sits in 1 place collecting dust.

Okay lets assume some exist. In the grand scheme of things we’re still only talking what? 10% at most? And I think that’s being very, very generous.

1 Like