Why surv is the least played?

Fixed how?

It’s still a spec designed around melee combat using a melee weapon. No matter if you can use some abilities from further away, you still have that part to consider.

Besides, any ranged abilities that you can find within SV aren’t based on using an equipped ranged weapon, which is exactly what we want. Which is why we’re asking for that.

2 Likes

Survival main reporting in. Honestly most hunters don’t want to play a melee class. On top of that it is the hardest spec to play of the three (especially for long time hunter mains not used to melee).

M+ Survival is probably the most fun I have had with a spec in a long time. The Blur raid meta is also engaging because it is the only class in the game that relies on extending it’s cd to do great damage. I would have loved the legion spinning plates SV if only it did better damage.

All that being said, SV’s biggest problem right now is it lacks what other melee classes bring to the table to justify their spots in raid and pvp. PVP, terrible mitigation, you effectively play SV at ranged because of this. It is a pretty interesting play style having to wait to go in melee for the kill, but not really viable sadly. PVE, bring no utility to the table. Why bring a SV main when you can make them play THE best spec in the game for progression BM while freeing up a melee spot.

I’m pulling for SV to stay in the game as melee, but with how little the spec is played I am worried it will get ripped from us few SV mains. Shadowlands wishlist would to double down on the trapper/dotter fantasy of SV and give them some form of unique raid utility.

3 Likes

Alot of past survival ranged players moved to other classes. Only devoted few remain on spec.

1 Like

Nothing big enough to say no to sv hunter in raid…

You… dont do pvp I take it? No arenas or anything alike ? I guess you just solo pvp out there with randoms?

Right… thats not a SV issue, its a melee issue where theres too many melees in the game. Not because theres too many class / specs, but because ppl prefer to play a melee more than ranged.

Its played nearly as much as the other two, barely a difference… yet you all come saying there are so low. No, it aint the spec… theres plenty.

1 Like

So, if it’s a melee issue…how can it not be an SV issue?

You basically just said that turning SV into a melee spec is what caused these problems in the current state of the game.

Too many melees in the game? And still they went and removed a ranged spec in favor of implementing yet another melee spec…

And yes, it’s a matter of having too many different classes/specs competing over a select number of spots. The more you have, the harder it will be to get a spot. And the more it becomes about what class/spec brings the most strengths combined with the fewest weaknesses.

Not in PvE.

4 Likes

Can you not read or use logic ? The majority of the player base seem to love more playing a melee. SV appeal more to the general population. The issue is the fact that so many love to be melee that the raid spots for it are more limited.

This has “nothing” to do at all with SV, not the changes it had or anything your mind could come up to somehow blame sv’s change. They could add 10 ranged class to the game and it wouldnt change that.

Which is just fine ? Doesnt need any changes because those choosing to play SV prefer to do PvP or other content that isnt Raiding / Mythic +

Source? Basis?

The bottom line is, raids are designed in a particular way. Even for encounters where it’s not necessarily bad to play a melee, it still, most of the time, is not favorable to be melee over ranged.

This naturally results in there being fewer spots for melee classes/specs in groups. It kind of explains itself that if you then continue to add in more classes with essentially only melee dps or tank specs, there will be more competition for those spots. Or if you remove ranged specs/turn ranged specs into melee specs, the end result is the same. Less players/specs competing for ranged spots while more players/specs are competing for melee spots.

No matter if there are proportionally more people playing melee classes than ranged classes in general, or not.

So, you can spin this/try to deflect from SV all you want. It still won’t change the fact that if you add more options for specs focusing on melee combat than there are spots to fill, there will be more competition. And the more you add, the higher the competition levels.

If they were to add another 10 ranged classes(considering the amount of ranged specs this would bring), we would see similar issues come to light as for what we are seeing with melee’s atm.

So, to answer this: Turning SV into a melee spec has everything to do with why it suddenly sees so little representation in PvE.
Before it was turned into a melee spec, it did not really have any trouble whatsoever finding a spot in raids. Or dungeons. Etc. Etc.

Sure, current SV is decent and fairly represented in PvP, but so was SV from before Legion. In fact, even more so than MSV is.

Again, spin this all you want. We have the data that shows, since SV became a melee spec, it’s no longer sought after in PvE. And at the same time, it did not exactly bring up the number of hunters in general that play the game. It only served to switch out what players there are who plays the spec in a particular type of content.

Re-designing a spec which prior to the change was desired for all types of content to then only be somewhat decent for one particular type of content, is not a success. It’s a big failure in terms of class/spec design.

And yes, I know that many of those who play MSV, like/love the spec itself. Which is why I’m still not saying that it should be removed. Which is why I’m asking for RSV to come back as a 4th spec, because based on proven data and history in terms of what players want from this class, it’s more likely that a spec such as RSV would actually manage to bring more players to this class other than what we have currently.

6 Likes

The fact that every single raid group is recruiting ranged somehow escaped your notice…

1 Like

Utility …

1 Like

I’ve played Survival since BFA launched and I’ve had fun the whole time. I absolutely love Terms of Engagement and an Epic BG. So much fun just bouncing around the battlefield getting kills.

3 Likes

Oh, it did? When?

Not sure what you’re getting at with this comment…

1 Like

I’m getting at the stupidity of you asking for a source that more people play melee…

1 Like

It’s not stupid at all. In fact, it’s the most reasonable request. If you are going to make supposedly factual claims backed by data you need to show the data.

I’ve seen many people argue that more people play melee. I’ve seen precisely 0 backing for it.

I’ve noticed this pattern with you. You make these sorts of claims and when asked for proof you immediately turn hostile and attack us for being so ridiculous as to not unconditionally believe everything you say. It’s your tell. You don’t have any backing to your claims so all you have is this posturing.

Prove me wrong by showing me some proof.

P.S. “everybody knows” is not proof.

7 Likes

Survival, the most rewarding Hunter spec ever created. Thank goodness it’s here for good.

The class finally has some diversity. Cheers!

4 Likes

Go into trade chat, watch literally every guild recruiting spam looking for dps, prefer ranged… You’re a mental midget if you’re truly trying to argue this point.

2 Likes

That’s neither what I asked nor is it real data but rather anecdotal.

I have to say, the trend in this thread of the melee fanatics claiming that ranged specs are more desirable because there are so many melee is utterly ridiculous. Ranged specs are more desirable because they are more valuable for most boss mechanic situations; they have better DPS uptime and the melee range quickly becomes cramped to the point where mechanic overlap becomes an issue. For this reason most tiers (at least every one I checked) see more ranged parses than melee ones.

EDIT: As of posting this there are 283019 melee parses in Ny’alotha heroic and 323257 ranged parses. So ranged aren’t being requested because guilds are just overloaded with melee applicants, but rather because they are actually more desirable in raiding.

7 Likes

Dont bother with Bepples, he will ask for scources always, even if its not accurates, irrelevant or w.e he will use it. Its like talking to an anti vax at the moment. One day he will get out of that logic.

Good example, look at his replie and parses. Irrelevant and doesnt prove anything.

3 Likes

Just wanted to get this straight. You are saying Survival is played as much as BM and MM. Ight bud it’s not even close. BM at 57k logs and MM at 3.5k for this raiding tier with SV crawling in at 1.7k. I would agree with you that there is a better balance in PVP, but BM would still have more.

8 Likes

Because theres only Raiding right ? WoW doesnt have wpvp, bg, rated pvp, mythic + , rp, non rated pvp, arena. ?

1 Like

No one said there is only raiding? It’s harder to gauge what is being played in everything other than PVE content.

1 Like