Why surv is the least played?

Again, i’m not engaging it. The original topic was survival at the start. If you something relevant to add to that feel free, but it sounds like we agree on that. You can keep arguing for the sake of arguing though. I wont stop you.

1 Like

its not harder people just dont like melee but i have done more damage on bm hunter then suv hunter in bgs.

I just told another player to give it a week or two to get used to a new spec or class.
Probably wont take that long but I wouldnt give up on something new for at least two weeks of working at it.
If I cant get decent with it after a couple weeks, its probably just not going to fit my play style preferences.
Priest comes to mind.
The wife loves it.
I hate it.
We’re both the opposite about shaman

Certainly the impression Vanilla WoW gives you about SV when it drops a melee spells as your very first.
but hey…blizzard wasnt meaning for it to be melee or anything…they were just screwing with your head lol

1 Like

What’s better than stabbing an Orc with your spear, while your pet hamstrings them?

Nothing.

2 Likes

It’s true the only ranged ability in the survival spell book is wyvern sting.

It’s pretty easy to see the path of it becoming melee. Even if you disagree with it. The logic is there.

2 Likes

And honestly I tried the talents Guerrilla Tactics for wildfire bomb and Hydra’s bite for Serpent sting to play more ranged and honestly I didnt like it at all. Too much dotting with SS and waiting for the results…and the bomb…why does a hunter have a bomb, lol.
I took Butchery instead and it just mows down trash like a mower.
Kinda peculiar that all three are on the same talent row. Almost like blizzard was giving you a choice to play mostly Melee…or mostly ranged…almost…gulp…like a hybrid :wink:
Personally, i dont understand why anyone would even try to play SV ranged. SS and WB can be used to pull stuff in, do some extra damage, but in my opinion Butchery, Raptor Strike and Kill command are the bread and butter of the spec.
That includes trying it out on my 120 hunter and heading over to some BFA content the other day.

Actually, they’re there to give you different ways of improving your AoE. Spreading Serpent Sting faster, improving Wildfire Bomb, or improving Carve. You’re meant to use all your toolkit, not pick between SS and WfB or Raptor Strike/Mongoose Bite and Carve/Butchery. You can probably get away with not using either in lower end content like levelling and world quests, but in anything past that like Mythic+ and raiding you’ll fall behind everyone else.

5 Likes

uh…really?
by putting them all three on the same row they are forcing me to play mostly melee or mostly ranged.
Cant take two talents on the same row at a time.

Even if you pick talents that buff Wildfire Bomb or Serpent Sting you still have to play melee at all times to do optimal DPS since your DPS is balanced around using your melee skills, and yes even with Aspect of the Eagle due to the autoattack.

4 Likes

yeah…you all keep chiming in with this, but Ive seen how few actually use Butchery on a couple websites.
Dont use it, cant really say how its going to work in that content, now can we?
Im betting IF they stopped trying to force SV to be a ranged spec and got into the melee dirt with Butchery that itd be just fine in end game content.

Have you used Butchery in high end content?

No. You do level 60 dungeons and world content. We know Butchery is mathematically worse than the other talents on that row, and your feelycraft isn’t going to change that.

2 Likes

and your point is?
We have been saying its a MELEE spec, not a ranged only like BM.
any content with any amount of trash is going to work quite well with Butchery.
and the serpent sting talent isnt exactly going to bring down the house against single targets. I tried. It sucks for single target.
the spec seems to me to be good at both single and multi targets if its set up right.

Please…just stop with this ‘in m+’ nonsense because firstly I dont play it and so dont care…and secondly there clearly arent enough SV hunters playing with Butchery to make any absolute statements about it in high end raiding.

Blah blah blah…see my last post.
You can keep Spewing this stuff up but without mythic players actually running Butchery instead and TRYING it for quite a while instead of forcing the spec to be more ranged, its hard to take you or the other guy too seriously on this one.

another irony here is that this thread exists in the first place.
“why dont we see SV more?”
“because SV sucks in ‘real’ raiding”

uh…ok…yeah…and might that be because youre all forcing crap abilities like Serpent Sting and Wildfire bomb instead of using Butchery and playing it more melee ?

No one’s forcing the spec to be more ranged. You have to use RS/MB and stay in melee range for autoattacks, or you’ll fall behind in DPS.

It’s been tried, it’s been theorycrafted. It’s worse. Butchery’s intended use is burst AoE, but Guerrilla Tactics does that better, so there’s not much reason to use it.

It’s viable though, obviously.

Since you seem so confident that not using Butchery is the reason why people don’t do good as Survival, then why don’t you go test this theory out yourself and come back with the results?

3 Likes

sure it has.
Why are you even here, warlock?
Youre clearly not playing hunter and Im beyond tired of listening to you and another poster whine about SV.
The spec is fine.
if you dont like it the remedy is quite easy…

its almost funny listening to your jokes.
“SV sucks so thats why its not played in real raiding”
“dont bother with Butchery, its sucks, all those real raiders us SS and WB”
LOL

Well, maybe Butchery is the secret to doing well as Survival, and everyone who doesn’t use it is just gimping themselves.

So why don’t you go try it out in a real raid, and come back with the results? Then we can see how good it really is.

2 Likes

A wise man once said, warlock…