Why surv is the least played?

Again your too funny laughable … Tanking murlocs …

I am talking about damage in pvp versus a melee class

1 Like

The whole point is that there is no “SV begins with…” in Classic.

There’s only the Class as a whole.

Anything you can get from talents only adds to the class as a whole. Not a single spec.

Any and all spells you can find in your spellbook have nothing to do with spec choices or with exclusive playstyles.
It’s only a place where abilities are stored(and sorted into different categories/tabs) for the sake of making things easier to find.

12 Likes

then stop talking in my direction if its not applicable.

You can keep going on about this till hades has frozen over…at THIS point I no longer CARE about your opinion or concerns.
The spec is a Melee/ranged hybrid NOW…deal with it.

1 Like

Either way your not a tank … Not even mini tank like tiny tank.

I love this guy.

I know some DPS and Healers who Ive saved from wiping with my pet who’d get a chuckle from your joke there.
If you cant tank with your pet, friend, thats a YOU problem. :wink:

I’d actually argue that given Hunters are the only class that can use ranged weapons it does actually have the burden of representing them well. And right now it doesn’t because they got rid of ranged Survival.

That pet will do absolutely nothing for you in endgame PvE/PvP. You clearly do not understand what mitigation means in these contexts.

You aren’t playing anything right. You exclusively stick to the most trivial of content which is giving you a massively over-inflated sense of self importance. You literally insinuate that all the top Survival Hunters are just doing it wrong and you know better after doing a few level 60 dungeons. I’ve never met someone so hilariously off base in a class discussion.

You’re speaking to someone who honest-to-god thinks he knows Survival better than high-end Survival Hunters because he did a few level 60 dungeons and found Butchery was doing a lot of damage and he thinks none of the top Survival Hunters thought to use Butchery. This is the single greatest instance of the Dunning Kreuger effect I’ve ever seen here.

Oh, really? Because earlier you were swearing up and down that Survival was absolutely not to be played as a ranged spec in BFA and that the ranged spells in the toolkit might as well be ignored. Yet here you are in classic using a real ranged weapon with Auto Shot, something that Survival lost in Legion for the first time.

P.S. In a few levels you get a pet and then you almost never have to melee anything ever again. Survival in Vanilla is a ranged spec.

Please oh please level it up a bit and do all the solo content and dungeons as melee. Let us know how it goes.

And when I look in the Survival tree in Classic and look at the very last talent it can get I see:

https://classic.wowhead.com/spell=19386/wyvern-sting

“Requires Ranged Weapon” womp womp

Given that you are level 1 and literally don’t even have a single talent point so therefore the concept of a spec does not exist for you, yet you still have Raptor Strike, then yes he is right in saying that absolutely all Hunters have it. This is not Retail where you start off using a ranged weapon in Cobra Shot and then magically forget how to do that once you reach level 10 and pick Survival.

You do not need to spam screenshots of your fresh Classic toon. It’s pretty obnoxious especially given I’d wager that literally every single other poster in this thread has a more comprehensive knowledge of classic Hunters than you.

Why don’t you tab on over to your character menu and show us the ranged weapon. You know, the one modern Survival doesn’t have.

12 Likes

SV is melee. Stop whining about it and go play.
Ive actually stopped CARING at this point that they took your spec from you.
Im honestly starting to enjoy that it happened.

Cmon man, You’re better than that. You know it was designed to boost melee capability in the Hunters core kit.

Hmm. I dunno, I always got the impression it was designed to boost defensive and utility capabilities in the tool kit.

All those years ago, when I was still brand-new to WoW, I had hit level 10 on Watermist. I finished the pet taming quests and got my wolf. Then my uncle logged on and told me about the talent trees.

So I proceeded to spend the next half hour reading the tooltip to every single talent on all three trees. I remember not liking the pet-dependent BM tree and being disinterested in (what I saw as at the time) “fiddly jumpy gameplay” of SV. In other words, I saw all those talents enchanting traps and defense and tracking.

Out of all 3 trees, I liked MM the best. I get to increase my own damage instead of the pet’s, and I wasn’t interested at the time as a brand-new player (seriously, I’ve only been playing for like 5 hours at the time. I was new) in playing with CC and what-not.

I could be recalling wrong, but I never got the impression the SV tree was about melee. I saw it as boosting utilities and defensives. :woman_shrugging:t3:

7 Likes

kind of what happens when you try to argue with everyone that has a different opinion.

that’s because it was a defensive spec. raptor strike just buffed your next auto and the other melee skills only activated if you dodge or parry, which will never happen in pve. the melee side of the class literally only worked when people were attacking you.

9 Likes

Touche. A lesson Ive not yet learned after all these years.

Not questioning blizzards stupidity and utter lack of competence in creating a video game…but am I to assume that even at launch that they were creating specs with totally USELESS spells/abilities and then handing them out very first thing when you rolled the character?
IF what you say there is accurate, seems to me that the current SV spec is FAR better than classic where, as you seem to be saying, it was given abilities you state were never going to be utilized.
Id take the current version over that crap any day.

It’s not a melee exclusive talent tree. It boosts the Melee abilities the hunter already has. Savage strikes, Deterrence into counter attack. It wasn’t melee exclusive, just like Beast Mastery isn’t pet exclusive.

2 Likes

pretty much. classic has tons of situational and niche abilities that are rarely ever used. the class design back then is nothing like it is in BFA where every spec has cds and a full rotation.

3 Likes

Although true, there are niche situations where you will use abilities that aren’t used often. It’s that type of design that brought a lot of players back, and attributed to a large subscription growth. I love the classic hunter, and know it’s not for everyone. I’m okay with that.

2 Likes

If thats the case, why on earth would there by so much crying in here to return to anything classic , I wonder?
I mean, I get things arent always great…and I did love trying classic out, but if thats all true it seems like players would prefer the current hunter over one that actually had combat related abilities that literally were useless

Idk the kit hunter has is pretty good for keeping themselves alive, there’s a lot of active ways to keep yourself alive which is what makes it increidbly unforgiving especially survival. Defensive mistakes from SV especially in PvP situations are incredibly punishing but if you’re not making those mistakes you can also survive incredibly well imo

Since this patch requires me to PvE much more I still feel no matter what content I’m doing that I can survive really well as long as I don’t make large errors. There’s still lots of reward from the kit too so I think it’s nice

At the end of the day the big reasons I think SV isn’t popular isn’t because of weaknesses or anything it’s just:

1. Very unforgiving (still rewarding though) and not very noob friendly
  2. It’s “melee” and the majority of people that do play hunter want to be ranged
  3. It’s also so unique in it’s playstyle that it’s still extremely hunter like, I absolutely feel it thematically feels like a hunter, so this causes an issue with 2) because hunters are really going to be the only ones really feeling the class so there’s not an influx of other melee players wanting to try it out.

But yeah I really don’t think there’s actually any major issues. Can deal with pmuch any situation as SV and adapt in any way which is the one thing that kept me playing a hunter for many years. People dying easily is just because they’re aware of what needs to be done, which is a hard thing to learn in general, and a requirement to make any basic progress as SV

4 Likes

Thank you …