Why surv is the least played?

• Hunter alt
  • Defends Survival and hopes it doesn’t change

Name a more iconic duo

11 Likes

Funny part is sv used to be my most played spec, well before it went melee. I been gone for last month or so from game (uninstalled), letting my time run out. So i had some time to really think why i kepted going back to hunter and sv. It had this great blend of pet and ranged weapon synergy that just felt amazing. It wasnt all one or other. Fast forward today now its extremes for each spec ranged but no pet allowed, ranged but only pet abilities, melee only with cluster mess. I kind of explained what i prefer in earlier post but it just goes back to why the changes made from really wod on not only ruined survival for me, ruined all my options and left me with no spec or class option to choose. I spent 4 years desperately trying to find something that doesnt exist anymore. Sad part i look at wow, i dont feel itch to return, ive always took breaks but i was always ready to come back. Im only on forums now cause i cant refund my game time and i still care bout game i just dont feel like its worth my gametime anymore cause of state survival is in now. To those who bash on rsv crowd, im sorry you have so much ego that you have to kick people when there down. I am happy you got spec you enjoy, however those asking for 4th spec to bring back something players like me, who lost last thing i loved bout game to enjoy. Is there something wrong for those who want to have fun, to be able to play and have fun?

3 Likes

I find SV my main spec, despite being Hardcore BM. It feels weird how my main spec is the one that feels boring to me right now, though before 8.3 it gave awesome dps, and now I’m switching to the other one.

• Bepples
  • Moded data.

At that point, the problem isnt the game… the problem becomes you. You should look to stop playing and find yourself again. Im sure you have friends or family that can help.

Nothing wrong, but you can’t make everyone happy, that is 100% impossible to achieve. No matter the change, one side will love it and the other will hate it.

There is sadly no valid data to support that claim, all online data barely show a portion of the game. It might have felt like it but that doesnt mean it was.

1 Like

I can’t tell this guy is serious, or a really good troll…

Translation:
Most of these “veteran” hunters that “loved” ranged survival so much aren’t all that veteran after all, and associate the “hunter look” with having a sheathed gun in the first place. Survivals melee weapon aesthetic, ironically, is a love letter to the stat-stick-wielding hunters of old.

Blizzard could make surv fully-ranged again but your crowd would still bemoan having to visibly use a melee weapon. It’s not about ranged vs melee. It’s about appearances and getting your way.

Luckily, we can say with near certainty you won’t be getting your way, because Blizzard is not about to undo the mage tower appearances for a spec to satiate Sour Grape aficionados who cannot accept a changing game.

Surv isn’t the first, only, or last spec to be drastically changed over the years, but the lamentation on the hunter forums could sure convince an outsider that it is. The truth is that ranged survival as you remember it was never ThE OriGinAl PlAyStyLe, and many gamers are simply opposed to all changes that personally affect them, while demanding changes where it doesn’t.

The forum “consensus” on the topic isn’t helped by the fact that some of the vocal participants in RaNgEd vs SuRviVaL are the archetypal example of saccharine passive-aggression and will absolutely team up on reporting posts they don’t like, knowing that the system presently in place on these forums makes it relatively easy to get someone muted by “community vote.”

Then the same individuals wonder why the metric-holders-that-be seem unwilling to consider forum feedback with any level of credibility.

1 Like

Did you actually read the quote you’re replying to here?

He said that the spec he played the most was SV, before it went melee.

And you argue that there’s no valid data to support such a…“claim” ?

You really did not get a single word of what I wrote, did ye?

Stop trying to make this a case of appearance and aesthetics only. Actually read what people are saying before you post.

Not what I’m after.
And no, it’s not about appearances. Like I said above.

Yeah, okay, sure. Keep going…

Drastically changed? That’s an understatement when talking about RSV.

It wasn’t drastically changed like many other specs were.

It was removed.

See the difference?

Ranged Survival was the original specialization assigned to the Survival category of the class.

Prior to getting actual core specializations(like those we see today) we had talent categories designed to do nothing but add to the default/baseline toolkit of the entire class.

So, again yes, RSV was the original specialization.
No, it was not the original “playstyle” as that playstyle was designed to focus on the class as a whole. Not on individual specs.

Ironic statement/claim considering several MSV-fans have openly encouraged other MSV-fans to report RSV-posters for trolling or spamming just because they are asking for RSV to come back…

And second, that’s quite an accusation, feel free to back it up with something other than your own bias.

7 Likes

Only to an ESL speaker who literally doesn’t know what the word drastic means except that he can use it emphatically to inflate word count. How do you understate the severity of a specs change by saying it was changed to the most imaginable extent? It was not literally removed, it was literally drastically reworked. Some of us like to know what our word choices mean.

I don’t think I need to “prove” anything to anyone paying attention. Most people are smart enough to recognize what I’m talking about. Your preference to portray yourself as angelic is your biggest undoing to anyone well enough versed in how this place works, or how human beings work.

If only you lobbied for something more important than your attachment to the version of a spec that was most popular during the least played expansion in the games history. C’est la vie en autism.

Combat was a more popular spec for rogues than survival historically was for hunters, outlaw is an even more dramatic departure from old combat, and can be argued as an actual complete removal since the spec was renamed, yet rogue tears aren’t nearly as prominent as the usual 3 on this topic.
Very revealing since surv is better designed than outlaw, it’s probably more to do with the demographics attracted to our class. We’ve always been one of the whiniest classes.

The spec Survival, sure, was drastically changed. As far as that goes, it’s just a name.

But the spec known as RSV, the one which existed prior to Legion, and that made up for what Survival was back then, that spec, wasn’t just drastically changed.

It was removed.

Survival as you say, it does no longer present a playstyle or a core specialization that relies on the use of a ranged weapon.

So, let’s compare…

The popularity claim is very much debatable. But by all means, present some data which backs up this claim of yours.

The name and whether that was changed or not doesn’t really matter here.

What matters is the actual core elements. And the design behind.

Sure, Combat saw extensive changes made. Not denying that. But it’s still a spec dedicated to the use of one-handed weapons is it not? It’s still a melee-spec, is it not?

Is Survival still a spec dedicated to the use of ranged weapons?

You tell me…

My preference to do what…?

You wana try that again?
At least bother to provide something as a basis for that. Or are you just spouting nonsense, trying to deflect from your poor arguments?

Who are you to come on here and tell us what we(or in this case, I) should consider to be important or not?

If you can’t handle other players talking about what they would want to see return to the game then, that’s on you. Not on them.

12 Likes

No it isn’t. Combat was the staple of rogue raiding for many, many, many years, not just one tier in WoD where it coincidentally (not coincidentally btw) happened to be overpowered.

Have you played Outlaw? Outlaw isn’t pure melee anymore, either. It’s also a hybrid ranged/melee playstyle. There’s a talent that turns it into a medium-range melee, as well.

Your preference to posture with pseudointellectual pomp and frivolity, you bloviating bastion of walls-o-text.

The basis for this claim is the contents of your posting history in general, not a singular entry in the last 24 hours, and everyone is all too familiar with that; because you’re one of the 3 “power posters” about RSV who cannot let a thread about survival go unmolested with your half-baked armchair developer thoughts and opinions. How many threads have you linked that half-baked thread of wishes of yours into with the perception that you’re enlightening the crowd?

Big words for a guy that can’t handle people enjoying a spec he doesn’t.

1 Like

Did you really just insult somebody over the fact that English isn’t their first language? Really?

I just woke up so I’m not sure whether I’m reading your posts correctly but I just couldn’t get over that. Seriously?

6 Likes

No, I said only an ESL speaker could think it’s possible to “understate” a phrase like “drastically altered”

But yes I do think arguing for dozens of pages of dense paragraphs in a language that you’re not fluent in is a bit of a poor decision.

Play the victim like you always do :slight_smile: I’m totally dehumanizing you!

While also complaining that people are conducting a conspiracy to ban her, nonetheless.

7 Likes

It’s not a conspiracy, it’s more of a small circle jerk of desk-bound wage laborers who use their ample free time to try to get their way by sheer volume of posts.

Anyone that’s paid attention to the ongoing controversy the last few years about blizzard automating their report systems knows (as I’m positive you yourself do) that it’s quite easy to abuse. Let’s not sheepishly pretend ignorant to the fact that only a certain mentality of poster bothers reporting people in the first place. The morally indignant and highly opinionated, who could I possibly be referring to?

Patterns aren’t hard to observe. You claim not to report people, but you’re an unreliable narrator at best, and it’s not hard to tell which side of this thread is of the necessary moral slant to bother reporting people.

I’m sure it’s a coincidence the same posters are always active when the spam reporting starts :wink:

You do have to get some damage straight melee, maybe as much as 35%… This is when you find out you have no armor even if your wearing it.

Why isn’t the damage mitigation the same as a BM or a MM both take more of a beating.

1 Like

heh. Yeah. I bring along mana buns and took alchemy to keep stocked up on healing potions, lol, just to keep some heat off the healer who hopefully should be focusing on the tank instead.

I am having an absolute blast with survival.
I swapped over to the Butchery talent, even though its apparently not what most players use.
https://wow.gameinfo.io/talent-builds/pve/hunter/survival
I have to say that I was seriously and pleasantly surprised in how it is mowing down mobs now. Actually increased my DPS quite a bit in those runs where the mobs abound.

Survival is hopefully going to be my main hunter spec, assuming they dont do something stupid when Shadowlands drops lol

I doubt they will, contrary to the thoughts of certain posters blizzard seems quite well aware of how well designed surv is. It’s one of the only specs people have hardly ever requested nerfs OR buffs to.

That says more about the specs success than whether or not Bepples and two low level alts like the concept of melee. It’s a damn rarity.

2 Likes

heh…it is definitely a fantastic spec to play. Takes a bit more thought process than BM or even MM, but Im finding it a lot more fun than either of those.
I do love the 15 second CD on the interrupt over the 24 second on BM.
That is flipping awesome that it has that short a CD.

2 Likes

That’s due to it being a melee kick rather than a ranged kick
In pvp the status of our kick is ironically the most “melee” thing about the playstyle; we’ve gotta hump casters for kicks. It’s the only real tether from just staying ranged 80% of the game as we do against other melee.

oh…that make sense. I guess I didnt really read the effect so didnt understand their reasoning for it.
“requires melee weapon”
That actually gives it more personality, for me anyway.

you know, I signed up for a BG to try it out two days ago.
Lord…40 minutes later I just logged out.
Im dying to try it in PvP. Maybe should just swap to warmode for a bit and see how it goes.