Why some guys complains about SV being melee?

Better yet, even in its current state being fotm it is still the least popular hunter spec across every dificulty in the current raid.
Even in m+ where it is at its peak advantage over the other specs, there is only a 0.4% different between it and the lowest played hunter spec in overall population.
This is as good as it gets for SV and it still just can’t make waves.

9 Likes

I was expecting dark ranger, so a bow\dark magic user honestly.

i think dark ranger fits better in “skin” class concept changing arrow colors and animals for ghouls. While tinkers could provide ranged shooter with turrets and piloting a robot with a flamethrower, saws, nets and guns!

I mean i dont think so, if i see a dark ranger skin on a mage or a palidan it will just look wrong. When i think of dark ranger i see either a melee assassin or a bow spec both of which use dark magic. Just based off all the quests and stuff through BFA.

Tinker is also a option as a ranger but i dont know why a tinker would use a gun at all. You would expect them to use a mech suit like all tinkers in game do. A dude with a gun and some engineering stuff in my mind seems weak.

Also survival has all the grenades\tinker engineering stuff so i would expect survival to lose some stuff like demo losing some stuff to demon hunter

Ok sorry I was talking about WoD specifically, I don’t remember much about MoP CMs tbh, I only did them for the transmog then stopped caring.

Looks like ranged SV was at its peak during MoP.

Indeed. Both for its performance and for its “feel” and gameplay, there are reasons why the pro-RSV crowd specifically singles out 5.4 Survival as the golden era.

When do you think they’re going to change Arcane to a Melee-only conjuration spec? I say that tongue-in-cheek, but think of how much fun it would be to summon a suit of armor and a flaming sword.

Excuse you, I would prefer if you did not speak for me or assume anything. I doubt I am alone being like I am.

I am a WoW beta veteran and my very first (and current main, altho it has not constantly been so) character was my Hunter! I played mainly Beast master back in the day and before the lame barbed shot changes. And some SV on and off, MM was never my style. I did not play Hunter to skip out on the whole pet part.

And I currently play SV as main spec. It has it’s flaws, some real serious ones. But I can’t stand the even worse rotation/gameplay of BM any more. Doesn’t even feel like a pet focused spec any longer, barbed shot and dire beast before it… ugh! and MM is just not how I personally prefer to play. So please don’t just assume that all SV mains are people “blow in rerolls from other boring melee specs.” (what ever that sentence is supposed to mean?) because we are not.

With that said, I heavily criticize the current And the (so far) future, previewed SV hunter spec. Might be the first time in some 16 years I actually don’t play my hunter at all, from what it looks like now.

Not saying SV is not overtuned, it seriously is (but still a few specs up there. Monk and Lock being contenders for sure) but it’s far from the only uncapped aoe spec/class… Last I checked outlaw rogue was the only spec that still was severely limited by capping AoE, but I don’t play it all so might miss some. And some have this “reduced beyond 8 targets etc” that limits it somewhat.

Not even close to being right…

2 Likes

One thing everyone can agree on about this thread is that Athamos wasn’t being remotely genuine when he asked the question in the thread title. He immediately and consistently doubled down on his views and remained argumentative and dismissive towards anyone answering. He didn’t come here to learn, he came to preach.

P.S. Athamos, if you’re going to accuse me of liking my posts on alts you’d better prove it. Just to help you out, I liked the first post of mine in this thread on an alt just now so you can see what it looks like. Find out which one it is (hint: achievements and pets). Then see if there are any on my other posts. Easy.

I’m not saying SV is overtuned compared with BM or MM, I’m saying it’s overtuned compared with all 24 DPS specs in the game currently. The only other spec close right now is Destruction, for the same reason (tier set bonuses making uncapped AoE abilities extremely strong).

I don’t want SV to be significantly better DPS than BM or MM (because I don’t want to play a melee spec on the ranged DPS that’s been my main for 17 years), but I would not care in the slightest if all 3 specs were within ~5% of each other.

MM and BM, for example.

“Reduced beyond 8 targets” is a hard cap on damage, soft cap on number of targets.

If you have a spell with damage reduced beyond 8 targets, and it does 12.5 damage per target, it caps out at 100 damage. If you go up to 10 targets, it now hits each target for 10 damage, still capping out at 100.

AFAIK Destruction and Survival are the only uncapped DPS specs, with Rain of Fire and Wildfire Bomb respectively. There may be others I’m not aware of, but the majority either have a hard cap on number of targets (MM, Trick Shots) or a soft cap on targets and hard cap on damage reduced damage beyond 8 targets (BM, Beast Cleave).

Edit: corrected bad information

If the point in question is a lie or a opinion that doens’t make sense why should i do not behave like this?

Example A, this statement is a ridiculous lie. Why shouldn’t i remain argumentative about a LIE.

Example B, another LIE, LEGION dps tier list was 1º aff lock, 2º WW monk, 3º Fury Warrior, 4º Feral Druid, 5º Survival hunter. MM being second spec being at 16º.
Why shouldn’t i remain argumentative about a LIE.

FEAT: your horrid opinion “JusT maKE SV RaNGEd agAIn, WE NeeD EXplOsivE ShoT insTEAd AimED ShOT, TheRefore a thiRd RanGed SpEC is REquiREd”

It has in fact been one of the lowest populated specs since 7.0, with the only exception being 9.2. In this patch they handed SV an enormous tuning advantage which resulted in only being slightly ahead of the others (in representation, mind you) in M+ and notably behind the others in raiding. So, yes, evidently there’s a pressure towards being underrepresented when it comes to Survival. This isn’t a controversial opinion or lie; it’s fact and even Blizzard has admitted they knew melee Survival was going to be a niche spec.

If the only way to get people to play Survival is to make it overpowered, they would have to keep it overpowered in every patch. I know SV Hunters salivate at the thought but that’s actually extremely unhealthy for the game and hints that the design itself is bad. After all, ranged SV didn’t need constant bribing with high damage to get people playing it; it only needed to not be as utterly useless as it was in HFC.

4 Likes

Source.
Every single patch.

Because i can prove you are LYING about 7.3.5, should i look about the other ones?

just 5 seconds and google found this
Mythic+ in the Shadowlands Pre-Patch
1st: Havoc Demon Hunter = 85,750 runs
2nd: Fury Warrior = 61,145 runs
3rd: Retribution Paladin = 56,775 runs
4th: Outlaw Rogues = 54,615 runs
5th: Unholy Death Knight = 52,116 runs
6th: Subtlety Rogue = 35,789 runs
7th: Windwalker Monk = 29,384 runs
8th: Frost Death Knight = 27,137 runs
9th: Enhancement Shaman = 25,751 runs
10th: Assassination Rogue = 23,184 runs
11th: Arms Warrior = 20,290 runs
12th: Feral Druid = 16,829 runs
13th: Survival Hunter = 4,107 runs

Looking good… I’m sure making it FOTM didn’t have anything to do with it dragging off the bottom currently…

This covers everything from 2013 to 2019. And when posting this I note that it gives me the warning that “It looks like your link was already posted in the topic - are you sure you want to post it again?” so evidently you ignored it the first time.

You can check WCL for each patch and it shows a similar picture.

We also used to have wowranks in this expansion which was great because it provided a more complete picture (it scanned the entire guild roster of anyone who ever did a M+) rather than just raid parses. Unfortunately it can’t run anymore because Blizzard rate limited the API it used.

I’m not sure why you’re going for this angle when it’s not in dispute and it’s very easy to demonstrate it.

P.S. Here’s Antorus for 7.3.5:

https://www.warcraftlogs.com/zone/statistics/17

2 Likes

This isn’t how it works. It still does additional damage to each target beyond 5 but it’s less and less for each additional target.

3 Likes

Its not a Survival issue, MM is just as bad.
SV has 0,5 to 2.5% global, MM has 1% to 2,8%. Graphs are like the same in different order.