Why It's Time for Blizzard to Build Player Housing in World of Warcraft

I understand why you think this, but it’s not true.

Not having solo content means those players simply wouldn’t engage with the game. A player who only wants to do solo PvP isn’t going to play 2s or 3s if there’s no solo content, they’re just not going to engage at all. A player who stops progressing at LFR isn’t going to jump into Heroic or Mythic raiding if LFR doesn’t exist, they’re just not going to engage at all. And more, some players who engage in the solo type content like solo shuffle or LFR are players who realize they actually really like that type of content, want more, and will use those as stepping stones to higher content, leading to more rated arena teams or raiding guilds for you to join.

1 Like

I’d rather them not add it, personally. I think it would be a disappointment. Likely an anchor based system with no capabilities for bath houses, book shops, or cafes.

I love the concept of housing, but I’d rather play games that already have it fleshed out.

1 Like

Really great points. Adding professions would be an excellent feature to concurrently roll out with PH.

I would love player housing, but I would jump off a bridge* if they pumped microtransactions into it.

*with a bungee cord, obviously

1 Like

Disagree. Some percentage of these LFR players would absolutely join raiding guilds and prog Normal (or even Heroic) if LFR were removed. We could argue on that percentage. You seem to think it’s zero, they would all quit. That’s delusional.

I’d say maybe 40% would start raiding normally, a little less than half. That’s a LOT of people.

If you take the same logical conclusion to the discussion of arena and dungeons, it’s a substantial impact.

This was one of the most enduring pros of Classic in 2019, and a big part of the surprising success of the game mode.

2 Likes

I agree that if it was too saturated with microtransactions it would diminish its potential and value-add. Some form of microtransactions, of course, would be acceptable, if it would incentivize Blizzard (which it should as this would be a good revenue stream and benefit stakeholders) to add a PH feature.

Some, sure, but not as many as have used LFR as a stepping stone to normal or higher raiding since its implementation, that would not have otherwise done so had LFR not introduced them to raiding.

This is a baseless claim and purely conjecture.

WOW is not a solo game. It’s a huge MMO that used to required literally dozens of people to approach raid bosses or battlegrounds.

I wouldn’t go into a vegan restaurant and harass them into making me a steak and accuse the other patrons of being exclusionary gatekeepers - I would go to one of the 8 million restaurants in town that serves meat.

You’ve come to a game that requires substantial interaction and successfully petitioned, over the years, for it to cater to your tastes which contradict its core premise - palpably damaging the experience for players that are exactly where they want to be.

There are a hundred solo, offline RPGs. Why make one of the last active MMOs more solo?

3 Likes

You just made up a 40% number to try and prove a point, we’re well past calling each other out for baseless claims and pure conjecture.

Not entirely no, but if there wasn’t evidence that a significant portion of the player base wanted these solo options, they wouldn’t be in the game, and Blizzard wouldn’t be continuing to develop features for them.

They clearly dont view the needed investment will have a return on it.

People dont play wow for housing.

No thanks. I dont want something else to be forced into.

Its a net loss which is why it hasnt been done.

and not anywhere close to realistic. If Blizzard were to put that type of investment into the game it would be mandatory

If they ever make a WoW 2, it might be cool to see them scale up cities to be actual cities, have Guild/Player housing that’s pretty much cosmetic and you could display things you have achieved like Cutting Edge clears or world firsts or things for achievements. Perhaps even have player run shops. Obviously they couldn’t have every single person/group at once but they could rotate shops and housing randomly when you enter a zone or log in. Maybe the guild housing could have recruitment sheets on the gateway for signups.

1 Like

Maybe, maybe not. We may or may not ever know.

Its not a maybe. If they were to put in player housing it would be mandatory to progress

You speak as if you actually know that, when in reality you’re just making an assumption.

1 Like

Its fairly large amount of back end resources as the server has to check and store what every single character has for furniture inside of their own instance. To put it in perspective the key ring was retired because it was considered wasted memory.

I would also argue player housing isn’t really all that used. People point to final fantasy but leave out the fact the player housing there is a very limited resource and isn’t available to the majority of players without a massive investment.

Considering the amount of time and investment it would take you would have to obtuse to think it wouldn’t be mandatory.

Especially considering it’s such a small minority that even wants player housing.

Resorting to ad hominem attacks still doesn’t make this anything more than an assumption. On ignore you go.

In order to combat the empty world and sparse player interactions, we need to have a feature that will make the world even more emptier and make player interactions more rare unless you’re invited to their instance.

Looks to the left, then looks to the right and back at you.

Is that an accurate description, or…? :eyes:

And you lost me the second time. I’m a gamer, not a business man so, no go mojo dojo, no mo.

Thrid. Immersion’s subjective.

Ahh yes, the epic story of… buying a house and filling it with junk that you will hardly visit back since the real game is outside of your house. /s

I don’t think shared spaces or neighborhoods is going to realistically happen. I mean if Garrisons are any indication, it would just be all instanced.

…So basically collectables.

Ehh. :man_shrugging:

If the housing system is anything like Ark Survival Evolved, sure. But pre-baked template houses with objects in pre-determined locations with little to no customization? Yeah no.

Fairly large is a matter of perspective. The keyring was removed 2011, back then common consumer hdd sizes were around 250 - 500gb, now we are seeing common hdd sizes between 2 -4 TB. Thats just consumer equipment. As of January this year Seagate announced a 30TB hdd. RAM has done the same thing.

Take into account as well that them “storing” furniture and stuff isnt them saving the actual assets. its most likely a database that says something like “SUPERAWSOMERAIDCHAIR: 1, MEHTABLEFROMQUEST: 0” Most of that heavy lifting is done by the players computers. Most of the processing from servers is actually changes and other metadata. When you loot something, move, accept/abandon/fail a quest, tracking player positions, the god awful AH, etc.

Another thing is that server meshing that Star Citizen showed off earlier this year, I hope that tech goes public because that can be a gamechanger.

1 Like