Why isn't there a Black Elven Character in the Lore?

No, the literal “light”… As in Sun, daylight.

Exactly my point. We would of skipped past High Elves directly to Void elves.

Yes but it just turned inorganic into organic.

My mistake.

But wouldn’t that would have just created void touched Night Elves?

That’s different. That was a curse created specifically by Yogg-Saron to weaken the titan forge. Which is different that the remaining void energies that just existed in Lorderon

1 Like

And made generations smaller as time went by among the Northrend tribes proximal to Yogg’s influence, and continuing in the Tirisfal settlements, proximal to that Cthraxxi’s influence

`https://wow.gamepedia.com/Anguish_of_Nifflevar

You think they became pale over one generation because they went in caves rather than due to void corruption?

What are you talking about High Elves weren’t worshiping a Void Naaru, Muuru still had Light to siphon up until the Sunwell Raid.

Who is to say that isn’t in a sense what High Elves are, if an ever so slightly void touched elf? They only stayed in Tirisfal for a few years after all, if not less (Chronicles I don’t think is precise in this front). Corruption would’ve have produced a Pale-Orc-like effect.

Pale Orcs is also mentioned, and its still Void magic and production of such

Again, consider how much paler and more ashen the Blood Elves got post Void Experiment creating the Void Elves.

Ok, You’re just trolling me now, aren’t you?

Pale Orcs are pale because of Void magic twisting their bodies not because of caves lmao

`https://wow.gamepedia.com/Winds_of_Change_(quest)

Canonically Muru only turns into Entropius during the raid itself, and even as a darkened Naaru was still able to be siphoned for Light

`https://wow.gamepedia.com/Claiming_the_Light

OK… Seeing as you’re the only one who mention caves, I fail to see your point.

Again, You’re the only one to bring up the Naruu so you’re creating an argument to argue against.

You literally said Pale Orcs shunned the “literal light” as in the sun/daylight lmao

because they never existed and make no sense. This was clearly done for the sake of it. Elves are not human in wow one bit. I wanted blizz to give us a justification fo the skin. Maybe they are the closest to the sunwell, rare kin from the drow elven line. ANYTHING. All I got was sensitive replies because me asking for a reason makes them feel it’s racist. So rip any ideas for explanations. we live in PC nonsense when it comes to brown/darker skin tones when in wow every elf eye color/skin tone meant something (>_>) good luck. we will never get any lore for this as far as I asked and how I got replied with

Right. So show me where I mentioned caves.

Then where did they go to allegedly forsake the literal (day)light to become pale according to you? How did it work? Where did it happen? Please, go on.

1 Like

My point was that Void corruption of the magnitude required to cause the transformation in the elves that you suggest would of also caused enough mental and physical twisting that would not of led the Elves in pursuing their Sun Based Culture in the first place.

We know from lore that the MOST they experienced was a mere suggestion of influence of Old God corruption, not ACTUAL void energy. They could just feel the Corruption, and maybe heard the voices too.

The Pale Orcs only became Pale BECAUSE they tapped into the Void energies from a fallen Naruu.

2 Likes

Because when they released Warcraft, they were just pretty much copying the Warhammer aesthetic and the only demographic and back then, they were concerned about having any representation were white men. Not only were there no brown elves (or humans), there weren’t any women either.

Gradually, as more games and expansions have come out, Blizzard 's been rectifying this imbalance by adding more characters that are non-white and non-male. Especially among humans and elves, as those are generally the most relatable and easiest to self-insert into for the audience.

We haven’t seen them in the game/lore yet, because Blizzard’s been relatively slow on the uptake.

4 Likes

looks at poster’s portrait

Umm…

…you’re purple.

2 Likes

M’uru had nothing to do with the high elves, why did you bring him up?

1 Like

I was talking about Tolkien type Elves. That in WoW terms would be High/Blood Elves.

2 Likes

Because until 2020 Blizzard hasn’t made inclusion a centerpiece of the game’s narrative. We’re in a fantasy world with Elves and dragons; being a different species than human has been the major leap for diversity.

For us humans, we have differing skin color/ethnicity in the real world, but in a fantasy world - people’s first thought on diversity is typically the different species/races that are non-human. It’s just taking Blizz a long time to add diversity within each of those various species (elves/dwarves/etc etc).

2 Likes

But they aren’t void touched. And it would be slightly touched. The amount if magic that did be needed to transform them would have to have been significant.

Pale Orcs are still the same Orcs that they once were. The void only altered their appearance.

What we are talking about is a complete evolution or de-evolution of the Night Elves into a completely different race.

And yet like the Pale Orc’s, they are still apart of the same race. The void didn’t change that. You really can’t equate the physical effects that the void had on the Rendorei to the complete altering of their race and racial features that the Sunwell or distance from Nordassil had on the Highborne changing them from Kaldorei to Queldorei.

The Highborne are actually the result of the dark trolls, who were apparently 10 feet tall and very dark-skinned, becoming shorter and paler. Magic does seem to have a bleaching effect, as we can see with Jaina’s hair turning white after the manabomb.

The Sunwell may have some alterations to its magic thrown in, considering it’s called “The Sunwell” instead of “The Well of Eternity, But Worse”. Maybe Light magic exposure also influenced their transformation, or maybe all the Highborne women were drawn so magnetically to human men with beards that they just couldn’t help themselves and the high elves are a result of Highborne/human mingling over thousands of years.

WoW has been pretty consistent with what certain magics do to certain races after enough exposure, but honestly, not every explanation can work 100% of the time. I just roll with it. Occam’s Razor tells me that Blizzard did not originally make blood elves/high elves look like that because they had some grand, lore-compliant vision that because of their exposure to the Sunwell, they look like a bunch of pointy-eared humans, even though their ancestors were all shades of purple, blue and white.

The most likely reality is that Blizzard circa the early 2000s wanted to make LOTR elves, treated white people elves as the default, and just didn’t think about adding darker skin tones until more recently. They’re fixing an error and expanding character customization to reflect the lore’s reality, not just magically making black elves appear out of thin air.

And even if people do consider this a retcon, I don’t mind. I never mind when retcons are made in service of a better story and a broader fanbase.

4 Likes

Black elves (or dark elves) in Norse myth aren’t necessarily dark-skinned, though. One source even uses the term to refer to dwarves.

(Not saying that makes dark-skinned elves in WoW a bad idea, though.)

Because POC are represented by the “noble savage” monster races Blizz likes to villain bat while the pure Alliance is European. Blizzard still has a lot of work to do but considering how bad writing was in BFA, further attempt at representation may come off as pretty stereotypical. They need to hire better writers.
In the LotR, the “Men of the West” are literally meant to be fictional ancestors of Europeans, and Middle Earth is literally Old World Earth in a fictional past.
In a world with no connection to Earth, it’s lazy to copy cultures 1:1, there’s no reason the Alliance should be so Tolkienesque European. I’ll give the older writers credit in making the alliance more interesting (read full of people, maybe not as bad as but similar to Garithos) and giving the horde legitimate reasons to fight back. This was a good deconstruction of the typical D&D human good orc bad no nuance thing that pervades fantasy. Then new writers came and decided they didn’t like that.
Black Night Elves is a distraction. What about more black humans? Not some throwaway NPC hidden deep in Stormwind.

7 Likes