Why isn't sylvanas allowed to die?

We all have our favorite characters that we all wouldn’t want to die, but I know personally that characters have to go. One of my most favorite characters was varian wyrn I love the guy so much, and I was very sad when he died and a bit mad at blizzard, but in the end world of warcraft is a big story and if nobody ever died what would be the point of all these wars that keep happen they would be a joke, he was given a great send off. I think even the villains in the game are often given great send offs like arthas or garrosh.

But alot of times when discussing how sylvanas should end, one of the most shocking things comes up over and over again, is the fact that she shouldn’t die. Sometimes the arguement seems to be is that the forsaken story revolves around her, too me that means she should die more, cause will shouldn’t the race be more than one character, keeping her around sure hasn’t helped developed other forsaken characters.

I dont feel that a writer should be held back on who lives or dies, sure there should aways be a reason for characters to die, and characters dying for just the drama of character death is never good for a story. (Looking at you halo series) To me anyways, Sylvanas has finally hit that area where she needs to die, she is the big bad for the horde and alliance and for many characters, her living at this point would be like Saron not dying. Shadowlands already kind of feels like they are dragging her story out longer than it needs to be.

So why shouldn’t she die? Theres always the fear that blizzard kind of kills characters and then does nothing for a while but they always come back to the race, I mean they have too.

4 Likes

the lead narrative designer doesnt want her to

37 Likes

Because sylvana fanboys will throw a fit

20 Likes

Kinda surprised N’zoth didn’t kill her.

Nothing saying she’s not beyond the current narrative requiring that she doesn’t … yet. TBH, there would be just something so cathartic about her simply being just the Selfish Nihilist she is portrayed as being; all the way through the conclusion of this story arc. There is nothing wrong with it being that she is calling attention to an issue that needs to be addressed; but she’s not being secretly altruistic … and is entirely motivated by selfish ambition.

TBH, I would find it rather insulting to both sides for her to be validated in her actions, and the woman has some seriously bad Karma heading her way. Bluntly, if Shadowlands simply concluded with the Horde thwarting her path to her final goal just before the finish line; having the tools she discarded disrupting the plan she used us for. While the Alliance are allowed to get the kills on both Nate and her … claiming at least some semblance of revenge … that be fine.

10 Likes

Cause Danuser. Although hopefully we don’t see her in a long time, having an undead elfie as warchief was an insult to the horde in general

14 Likes

She will die. so i don’t know why you say that she wont.

because if she don’t then the story will be ruined forever.

From a Horde / Forsaken standpoint, it sucks to have effectively lost every original racial leader through Cata. It sucks even more when Bliz either gives us crappy replacements like Baine for Cairne or just doesn’t replace them at all (Darkspear Trolls). Sylvanas being gone is just more of this, especially since the character tapped for her faction replacement isn’t even a Horde character.

It’s not that I’m against her dying; it’s just that Bliz has a pretty awful track reccord with handling these things.

(somewhat relevant side note - I think Entrigg is now somehow tapped as the NPC the Alliance kills when raiding Org. Not quite sure how we got here, but here we are.)

19 Likes

We dont know what they want silly

they just did in 8.3 its rokhan, yeah blizzard is really bad at doing them in a timely matter but they arent gonna be leaderless forever.

1 Like

I’m kinda surprised Baron Samedi didn’t kill her…

1 Like

Because they have to keep her and Nathanos around for their redemption arc, it’s simple.

Genocide is good and justice is bad. This is the message they are trying to tell us with this whole thing, and it’s going to be even more disgusting if they paint Tyrande as wrong for wanting justice in addition to painting Sylvanas as right for commiting genocide and trapping countless innocent lives in the maw forever.

I don’t know what kind of horrible person you have to be to write something like that, but that’s something you have to ask the writers.

The story is already ruined forever and I’m alreay disgusted by it, but it will be even worse then

4 Likes

I’m rotting for her to get away with everything at this point. And I’ll have the biggest &#^@ eating grin if that day comes. One can only hope.

12 Likes

This thread is going to go places.

17 Likes

I am not saying if she will or wont, but why some players think she shouldnt be allowed too. I always here the argument t that is she too special too important to the story, I dont really see it, sure she is important for shadowlands, but some players think that blizzard shouldn’t be allowed to kill her at the end of shadowlands, or at the end of her arc so to say.

Yeah, I actually want her to just get away with it at this point. I haven’t ever liked her as a character but I think the twist of not all bad people get punished is in itself not an uninteresting one. I hate that I expect her to die in a raid somewhere now.

2 Likes

So it makes for a better twist if you can kill tens of thousands of innocents and trap them in the maw forever without facing any punishments? Truly sends a good message.

Well, I mean the horde already got away unpunished with it, so what am I even saying…

4 Likes

i haven’t really seen people that said that she shouldnt be allowed to die.
simply people that maybe like her that don’t want their fav character to die.
as most people would with their fav character of choice.
others, reasonably want her to win because they are some sort of “#teamspite.”
Luckily for us, blizzard is predictable and all villains die. look at poor n’zoth.

Good thing that we already have some “criminals” in the alliance and horde that get away with it!.

1 Like

yeah lol, imagine being so butthurt, you want other people to be upset in a video game, teamspite people are the saddest bunch, like just move on right?

Nothing’s stopping her from dying, save for maybe the Val’kyr. In all likelihood, she will die in Shadowlands.

The problem is that Sylvanas was an old and interesting character, who was just so drastically butchered to fit a narrative that couldn’t really jive well with continuity. Her sudden jump from ‘subtle, intelligent evil’ to ‘mustache twirling cartoon evil’ was atrocious. What is most assuredly going to be a cinematic and storytelling disaster is her death.

What’s worse, the Horde will be losing yet another prominent character in an already dwindling roster. The Alliance roster has yet to see such a significant culling, even in situation where they could have died (Jaina, Mekkatorque, Malfurion) and to even suggest such a thing is wasteful. The prominent Alliance characters shouldn’t have to die off to meet a certain standard- so it begs the question, why has the Horde roster had to do the same?

No-one wants to see these characters die, they have so much storytelling potential behind them with deep roots into the story but we find ourselves in this one-sided situation where the characters we all love and appreciate either change so drastically that we no longer appreciate them (Saurfang, Thrall, Sylvanas) or abruptly die for no real reason (Vol’jin, Cairne, Rastakhan, the list can go on.) and at this point, we want to preserve what’s left of what brought us to love WoW from the cutting block that is so mercilessly hacking to death the franchise so many millions loved.

I don’t speak for everyone but Jesus Christ, I hate having to log into these forums, every day, as if I’m trying to protect something I’m emotionally attached to from being assassinated, from what is undoubtedly going to be another strongly negative change. I have the faintest hope they occasionally read these forum comments, just to get the idea that what they’re doing is harmful to both my continued interest in the franchise, as well as my continued business with them, knowing full well that my efforts may be futile.

I would be far happier if they stopped trying and started doing something boring. Pander. Be cardboard flat. Fan service, as hard as they can. Do something that is essentially as simple as dangling car keys in front of me, because I do not feel any sort of trust in them proceeding in the story whilst at the same time making it compelling and true to the series I love.

33 Likes

I think this might be the best articulation of why I personally do not want to see Sylvanas die.

It isn’t really about liking the character at this point, it’s more about trying to preserve what little remains of the Horde I joined when I first played this game.

16 Likes