Why isn't DF selling like hotcakes?

I have bought every single expansion upon announcement since the beginning of this game. Seeing the utter ignorance of the crafting system, the preschool level of class balance and the deaf ears convinced me to not buy DF right now . Why is class balance so far apart? THERE IS A REASON FOR ALPHA AND BETA. with This insane discrepancy between the bottom most DPS and the topmost numbers just goes to prove Blizz didnt care (top DPS spec is TWICE the bottom most spec and thats uncalled for). The laziness of the crafting system is also unacceptable.

11 Likes

Was there even a pre-expansion book, this time?

If there was, I didn’t even notice.

Probably because its at best an average expansion so far, which after two bad ones isnt going to drive anyone to the well to buy.

7 Likes

If you said this 2 weeks ago you would be flamed to Jailer’s hell.

1 Like

I feel despite the problems, it’s still better.

I don’t think the new talent trees have been implemented properly - certain classes were done much better (as you could tell by the continual beta feedback some classes received while others were lucky to get 1 post).

However, the new talent system is still better than the absolute joke that was the BFA and Shadowlands systems that made playing the game awful. Azerite armour - having to re-earn your traits every time you got an upgrade etc, the various shadowlands systems - conduits, conduit energy, covenant locks, soulbinds etc - all really unfun and bad.

At least with DF you can just play the game - and respec freely as needed. It needs to be injected with a lot more content though, and they need to put in a far bigger effort balancing the classes.

I think a lot of the issues with DF are directly a result of it being rushed out.

4 Likes

How do you know this exactly !

Maybe because DF is releasing in the wake of 2 less than well received expansions and a national sex scandal investigation and lawsuit…

Dragon flight is good, and Blizzard has been farming some W’s lately with retail WoW. If they continue this way, then I believe WoW is headed in the right direction.

2 Likes

You know… I was saying that too, and in a sense I guess it was.

But I think we need to stop saying the expansions are “rushed out” and instead just accept that the systems design team (who do, among other things, class design/balancing) are just bad at their jobs.

Everyone else who worked on the expansion managed to do a bang-up job on their portions of the game. (Quests, encounters, art, music, etc.) And they did it on-time, with what was allotted.

It’s just always the class developers who screw the pooch and ruin everyone else’s hard work. I don’t think they’d ever publish anything satisfactory even if they had all the time in the world.

6 Likes

I used the word “may.” I don’t know. I suspect.

The dragon race is stupid and looks like something pulled out of a free to play Korean cell phone MMO. Might have something to do with it.

25 Likes

If that was the case the dragons would have oversized mammary glands and every piece of armor would be the tiniest bikini held on by hope.

6 Likes

yeah… the covid, the ol’reliable, I’m tired of the worst crap excuse for company failure.

and a Expansion reveal cringe podcast, It wasn’t a good result, worse with that Drackthyr race crap that isn’t even a dragon.

You think it’s the worst, Dragonriding is a Cringe from the last season of GoT about DRAGON JET

There are so many flying mounts especially Engineer mounts that make it look really like jet mounts like rockets and Irongolems and there isn’t this.

On the other hand, when I see that Dragonriding it’s like making fun of Andy Asteroids.

It is that what helped to endure was a second part in the campaign as from Suramar, at least it was tolerable to appreciate the area more until reaching 7.2 although they got a little angry at Argus at 7.3 but it would give as a last zone of the expansion like a final stage of a common video game, something they did the same with TBC in Quel’Danas.

Another thing that I fear, a lot shows in the pve, and something that they dislike is that a single class in any spec of that difference, like the Rogue.

Now the pvp is something that worries me and believe me even though if you grab an evoker and one shoot as a piñata, it has some cc’s and attacks that do the same to you in an aggressive way, and other classes that I don’t know how it will look in the pvp which is what matters most in this MMO.

hmmm… between Neltharion in Legacies shorts, and Alexstrasza in the expansion, nobody knows who locked up Razaghes

Danuser beware.

new race with only class and only high lever requ, It is more selfish than what is now the DH in 2 races and his Warglaives only for that class.

putting Rod and Todd memes, what next you keep Old painty-can in your Garage?

Dragonflight’s done some damage too. It’s just that people aren’t allowed to openly discuss the whys, even though it’s pretty much as obvious as some random child saying “Hey… The Emperor’s not wearing any clothes.”.

Until that changes, I certainly don’t expect an improvement. I suspect that’s part of why Metzen has returned, and I also suspect that’s why there were so many people screaming about his return and trying to claim he was the core of the problem.

Because they make such idiotic arguments, it sure sounds to me like they forgot about what really happened, or maybe it’s just that they never cared about the situation, save how they could profit from it.

Certain people are mad that their bright ideas were rejected. They also fear they will be deleted as part of some massive course correction. Yet the thing they don’t grasp is that Metzen doesn’t delete stuff he disagrees with. Nor does he shy away from storytelling that is controversial. He never has.

That is exclusively their ultimate problem.

8 Likes

This is my feelings in a nutshell. DF has been a great expansion, but SL and all the negative press during it was the final straw for a lot of players. Blizzard’s brand is very badly damaged and it’s going to take a very long time to earn that trust back. I think the company has made a lot of good moves lately and I hope it continues. But I can’t blame people for taking a wait and see approach.

Plus let’s be honest, the marketing for DF was very underwhelming. The big cinematic that we always look forward to that kicks off an expansion was very bland and didn’t do a good job of generating hype.

8 Likes

I really don’t think this has affected it as much as is made out. While I think what happened was disgusting, it didn’t affect my decision on whether to keep playing the game i’ve been playing for nearly 20 years.

The systems really feel like they didn’t have enough time to test and iterate on. The crafting system for example feels like it’s still somewhere between alpha and beta state. Some class talent trees still feel beta quality.

A lot of the dungeons and encounters felt like they needed a lot more testing too.

1 Like

That’s not a time issue, though. One of the worst trees (which is finally getting adjusted in 10.0.5) is the Druid tree, which was the first to be released to beta testing.

1 Like

It’s a good expansion without a doubt, however to be blatantly honest it’s nothing unique. Perhaps sales would had greatly increased if Galakrond was on the box art.

2 Likes

The problem is what kind of content would that be exactly. We already saw what happened with content that offers no power gain in Shadowlands via the Covenants like the Abomination Factory. Almost no one did it after the first few weeks.

They put a lot of effort into Crafting and for most players it kind of sucks.
Storms are a less fun version of the pre patch event and I never thought I’d say this but I actually miss Warfronts and the BFA World Quest design.
Soup, Dragonbane Keep and Hunts are boring.
Renown is about getting toys and mogs and a trickle of story.

As others talked about during Beta this is WoD 2.0 but with no Garrison to fill the void. WoD was Raid or die and DF is Raid/M+ or die.

8 Likes

And you know this how?

2 back-to-back unsatisfactory expansions in BfA and SL on top of a mountain of controversy have created a lot of ill-will among the community, on top of the general feeling of WoW having a pretty checkered release record in terms of quality going all the way back to Cataclysm. DF has a lot to prove and follow through with. It not having the best sales in spite of its improvements isn’t a surprise at all.

6 Likes