Why is Wow dying ? (In your opinion )

No flight at max level is the main reason, although there are many others.

6 Likes

WoW is far from dying.

• Forums are still flooding non stop. You make a post and if no one responds, it is on the 3rd page within an hour or 2. All other mmo forums you still see them on the first page weeks later.
  • The major cities on my server are still booming and packed.
  • All these “I quit” threads, those people never left and are still here and still post.
  • Tons of replies after any type of Dev Q and A.

I mean, my server was medium pop and jumped to high pop and I believe still is high pop. In WoD at this time, I saw a lot let people around yet for all the hate BfA is getting, it is pretty packed and active. I am not waiting long in queues where as other mmos I have waited over an hour for a dungeon. The longest I have had to wait was 20 mins as a low level alt. Like level 40 or something.

People can keep claiming WoW is dying because they hate it, yet here they are still actively playing and in-game it shows.

6 Likes

I don’t know if its dying or not, but the cross-realm phases, for as much as they make the world seem fuller, don’t do much to foster a sense of community.

Class design and nerfing can’t help. I almost unsubbed over it and it was my 1st time going through it, as someone who started in Legion, till I tried some other, unplayed specs. Can’t imagine the pain of going through that every expansion.

Then, I imagine a lot of generation of players that played when this game was the new, cool thing stopped playing as they got more life responsibility or moved on to the next new, cool thing.

Then, WoW was Facebook to older MMO’s myspace. Now its as relevant as facebook is to twitter or whatever the next thing is. People move to short time commitment, repetitive, easy to digest games. Not everyone wants a big long-term commitment.

3 Likes

It might be a combo of things.

1. lack of direction. Just seem to me. We have been heading off a cliff since MOP.
  2. Arrogance on some people.
  3. lack of accountability. I have been in management for decades. If half of the things were tried they would be let go. In the gaming community/company like blizzard, they stay. never get gaming industry. How they allow some things.
  4. NO oversight or lack of it in story department. There lots of inconsistency.
  5. Lack of good management oversight and insight. I have seen this first hand.
  6. NO new innovating ideas.
  7. Lack of foresight and how each expansion effects other.
  8. No real idea of how to get customers to stay. Service cost is too high. Lack of customization.
  9. lack of control. Too many things and bugs in the game. Big indicator of problems.

Can be wrong. this is based on personal opinion and years of management in various fields. The last one is an IT company. So kind in the same ballpark i think. Not sure.

3 Likes

The generation that started playing this game is anywhere from 30 on up. So they have less time to devote to a game that demands a lot of time due to kids, jobs - you know - real life.

A younger generation that lives on it’s phone is not likely to be attracted to a game played on their dad’s computer. So you don’t have new players to replace the ones who have left the game.

It’s a generational shift.

Having said that, the whole WOW is dying meme is overly dramatic. There are a lot of games that would settle for 1/10 of the population WOW has.

3 Likes

I think “dying” is over melodramatic. I think that times change and what players want from their games is not a static metric.

I understand that, currently, the common wisdom states that the MMORPG is in decline overall. Is it, I can’t say, but I do know that things travel in and out of market fashion. So when there is a downward trend, I don’t pay too much attention to it as long as it’s clear that the doors can be kept open. To me, I see it swinging up again in the future.

The hat trick will be the responsiveness of the Dev team to react to the changing desires in a timely manner. Ride that pendulum! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

I don’t know that it is, but I think the story sucks for this expansion. The burning of Teldrassil has yet to be justified, most of all in feasibility. Nor has it been explained why the Tauren would have any desire to follow Sylvanas after the first hint of genocide or anti-arborealism.

Key factor other than that, I don’t think removing flying helps in any way to attract players to the game. Flying makes playing the game more comfortable, especially for the solo play that you do outside of instances, and it makes it possible to “pause” the game almost as easily as any other game when you have something to do outside of your desk.

Making the game slower to play doesn’t help with the fun of it. Blizzard actively eliminating paths to quick leveling is hostile to players, certainly when there’s no sort of exploits going on, just simple game mechanics. What’s wrong with high level characters running low levels through dungeons?

2 Likes

In no particular order:
**Gcd changes combined with losing artifact abilities left classes feeling unfinished.
**Azerite armor gives no clear sense of progression.
**Blatant Horde bias ran off alliance players.
**faction imbalance resulted in warmode being a failure.

3 Likes

BFA did not presale 10 Million copies . BFA does not have 5 million. BFA is lucky to have 1 million in NA now. It’s probably inly around 500k NA

3 Likes

Activision.

• Terrible writing.
  • Terrible class design.
  • class, talent, and spell homogenization
  • lack of interesting player choices
  • gameplay that focuses on appealing to the lowest common denominator
  • incredibly obvious content release schedules designed to maximize player subscription time.
  • way too much time-gated content.
2 Likes

In my opinion it’s not dying. People just like to pass blame on everyone else.

2 Likes

Cost cutting and stream lining instead of pushing the envelop and taking risks.

1 Like

It isn’t. Is it declining? Sure, but everything does over time. Mmo’s used to be more popular than they are now.

1 Like

It’s dying, and make no mistake Wow is dying, because poor game development. The creative forces behind the game moved on and were pushed out after Activision took over. Blizzard as it was is gone. Now the game us half assed systems designed to keep you logged in instead of being fun

2 Likes

Class depth too shallow, feel too similar to one another not enough detail; feels like specs are just outlines waiting to be finished
Too much focus on end game not enough abilities/passives gained through leveling
No class specific tier sets not even just for transmog
New arena system doesn’t scale with ladder so when inflation kicks in titles become a joke to achieve
Very few outplay mechanics
Azerite System is awful
No PvP vendors
Honor Talents/Regular Talents of abilites that should be baseline but aren’t I.E: Spell Reflect and Disarm.
Guilds/Socializing isn’t important anymore unless you plan on racing Mythic Raids
LFR

2 Likes

People saying this game is fine or not dying are delusional or paid shills and white knights.

4 Likes

How does one get paid by Blizzard.

Many companies hire 3rd party or shills to go online and shill for them. Go look it up. Also Blizzard employees coming on the forums defending Thier jobs.

1 Like

Plenty of things.

First off is the market is changing. MMOs as a whole seem to be dying off, not just Blizzard and WoW.

Then there was the actual game. A weird trend is the more casual friendly and accessible the game becomes the lower the player base gets. Why do I think that trend is a thing instead of it being the other way around? Because it took people more time to get to that “I don’t have a reason to log on” mode. Where they accomplish everything they want to and run into the motivation wall. The easier it is to get things and the less challenging they are the less people want to invest their time into it because it doesn’t feel as rewarding to achieve it.

And now with that kind of thing going into overdrive people are feeling less motivated than ever before.

Then you have games like Fortnight who are basically keeping a new generation of gamers from playing MMOs. So the market isn’t growing.

I feel like Fortnight is the Disco of gaming. It’s a crazy popular trend that is garbage and it killed off a better era of music.

4 Likes

“Accomplishments” are pretty easy, everything is epic and fantastic, so much so, it’s all mundane, when everything is epic, nothing is epic.

Single player narrative, the chosen one syndrome, when everyone is the chosen one, NOONE is the chosen one. A MMORPG needs to be a bigger story that the player is only PART of.

A huge world where only a sliver is relevant. The game is clogged with obsolete content that makes leveling a painful chore BUT max level is all spent in a tiny part of the map.

The classes don’t seem very fun or even interesting anymore. All the panache is gone. Just shells of what was.

1 Like