Why is WoD the worst xpac?

Ill leave it up to your imagination which was the worst xpac. Heres a hint, its acronym starts with a B and ends with an A.

5 Likes

Man, the leveling experience made the expansion look SO promising! I remember being genuinely hyped for the expansion because the leveling was so good and immersive. Unfortunately, it didn’t at all have the quality endgame that we had grown to expect from MoP.

2 Likes

Cordana felsong’s dead romance with dad far, Yrel’s lack of a character arc, GARROSH’S DEATH the treatment of the iron horde as a joke when in fact they were technologically advanced society specializing in demon killing GROMMASHES IRON HORDE WOULD NEVER HAVE JOINED THE LEGION would’ve been better if gul’dan summoned archimonde who enslaved a chunk of the iron horse and we gave Garrosh a redemption arc where he got a dad

5 Likes

I will say that the one thing WoD did well was PvP gearing. Especially at the end when you could earn all conquest from previous weeks you missed.

They just needed to remove the Ashran loot bait and raise the ilvl floor in instanced pvp, and everything would have been perfect.

You could actually get BIS gear for PvP from PvP. Imagine that! Didn’t even need to do rated content to get it either.

4 Likes

I’d take WoD over this trash BFA

16 Likes

What kind of sorcery is this? The PvE’ers will not allow it.

5 Likes

WoD wasn’t bad. There was a lack of quantity, not quality. Most of what was there worked really well. There just wasn’t much there.

Garrisons, despite breaking the game in ways we’re still dealing with today (freaking mission tables…), were exceptionally well designed and very good at what they did. The zones are great, and Tanaan is probably the second best endgame zone after Timeless Isle. Leveling was good, etc. The whole thing just worked (except Ashran, where the less said about it the better.) WoD’s only real down side -outside of lingering garrison issues- is that there should have just plain been more content.

Edit: Why did this show as a reply to a post in the middle of the thread rather than a new post? Weird.

4 Likes

I liked WoD much more than BFA. And I always had stuff to do. I could also play alts.

9 Likes

The good:

BRD is one of the best raids in the game.
Class design was far better than what we have now. Arguably, it was an extension of MOP class design.

The bad:

When people say lack of content: for almost a year, you had 1 daily per day. It rewarded 800 or 1000 alexis crystals. You would use them for pets, toys , and heroic dungeon level gear.

The dungeons weren’t the worst but they were stale after the first 2 months.

I’d garner a guess that most of us built up a severe altoholism during WoD. Capped? Start your ring. Done with ring? Raid! No guild? Pvp. No Pvp? Go level another alt then.

M+ warts and all is a masterful solution.

4 Likes

WoD lacked content and what content was added was mostly raid centric. Even those was sort of mediocre. The only semi redeeming factor to WoD was the gameplay while leveling was actually pretty immersive. However it was still a bad expansion due to the lack of content… They even dedicated an entire Content patch to a freaking selfie camera… forever known as the Selfie patch.

Pvp in bfa makes wod seem like a masterpiece.

9 Likes

WoD > Legion > BFA

IMO

5 Likes

Yeah, pretty spot on. I enjoyed the garrison system. Rotating dailies in them, joining custom group finder to grab other quests from other people’s garrisons. Garrison invasions, and the raid bosses were fun. World PvP was exciting and fun. Leveling alts was a lot of fun. I mean if WoD had the mythic+ system of now it would’ve been stellar, but it started all of it after the. MoP challenge modes.

All the raids were great.

2 Likes

I’d disagree and say BFA is the worst expansion.

Regardless - people hated WoD because of a constant content drought. Cut content was bad for the game because we had entered a point where people were just finishing things so quickly, and the Garrison had nullified pretty much any form of open world content simply through missions and things like the mine and garden.

3 Likes

Idk.
Avengers v Hydra was pretty fun.
If you were on the receiving end as a pug in Ashran though… Oof. Pretty bad experiences.

I didn’t hate it. Just slightly bored but that’s fine to me since I got to play other things. Only thing I really disliked and mostly caused me to quit was the massive focus on all orc related things which isn’t interesting to me personally.

After WoD, it didn’t matter and was all self contained besides Guldan. Yrel turned evil, small group of mag’har become an allied race. Meh.

It’s actually a pretty nice expansion, just a few significant bad things really smarted:

1> People got suckerpunched with Blizzard’s declaration that there’d be no more flying in wow even though a flying mount came with the deluxe version of the game.
2> A bit of salt in that wound when people realized how many canyons and huge vertical mountain ranges there were.
3> Some relief when the new, but terribly burdensome pathfinder achieves were unveiled - some suspicion the declaration of no flight was a ploy to make people feel relief instead of resentment at the new pathfinder system.
4> People who wanted custom housing frustrated by promise of personal garrisons falling short of true custom housing.
5> 25 mission followers on the first mission table.
6> 10 ships on another mission table a mile from the first mission table before people could buy the teleport and later have the 2nd table moved next to the 1st.
7> Epic quality ships getting destroyed on missions with 99% chance of success before blizz eased that up.
8> Heard people saying Trashran though I wasn’t pvp’ing then myself.
9> Selfie-cam was the major new content of the last patch. (Fun in it’s own right, but having an employee side-project outshine whatever else might’ve been in that patch.)
10> Think it was over a year between the last patch and Legion prelaunch.
11> Some of us only started wow during the expansion and had just set foot on the legendary ring quest when legendary ring questline was removed.

Good stuff:
If you’re coming to it for the first time here in the future, you can unlock flying as soon as you earn it, not wait for a timegate. Also rather hard to lose ships on the shipyard missions. The stories/quests and music are great. Also I miss all the random heaps of boe gear that used to come out of the salvage crates - I got a lot of neat xmogs out of there. Yrel in a ninja outfit and gold wings cutting a path through the enemy while you try to keep up is memorable. Pretty sure all the cut scenes are excellent. Might be worth levelling someone through it after shadowlands drops so you can see the whole story unless you’re fine doing lorewalker stuff while invincible. Oh yeah, stormwind guard cosmetic xmog set for any alliance class, and a skimpy leather xmog are in there too, hunter’s mail xmog is sleek, and I think the crafted plate armor and shields were nice. Other xmogs are the usual oversized big bulky hodgepodge looking things. Oh yeah, a skyterror from the engineering building on your garrison will get you to anywhere in draenor. Also trading outpost worth getting for rep, and can also purchase raw beast hide with garrison resources - raw beast hide sells really well on the AH here in the future. Other mat prices seem to be much lower. A few heirloom rings off the shipyard missions. Some crazy scarey excellent mounts, pretty neat battle pets.

Edit: Titles like ‘Captain’ and ‘, Lord of War’. Lord of War looks like it needs 100 kills and maybe at least a victory in a 25-man freeforall arena. I read up on that, and groups who queued at the same instant had a good chance to end up in the same arena together, so there was a premade issue. There’s a detailed comment about Lord of War title and the arena experience worth reading. Not sure it’s gettable now unless maybe someone’s whole guild goes queueing ot help each other get the title. Halal tokens come off the mission table too and you can go take over halal in outland to get some gear and things from a vendor there.

played them all BC was my fav than WOD . Wod imo had the best leveling expansion we ever had , I really enjoyed the garrison system . some of the best raids ive done . :heart: black rock foundry . it just really lacked amount of content we got 1 less tier of raids , no new dungeons and they never raised item level of dungeon drops like they did in legion / bfa. I also think the hype for when Legion was announced some people just couldn’t wait for legion to get here.

1 Like

I still think the lot saying BFA is worse are seeing WoD through nostalgia googles. Give it a couple years and then we can revisit this. BFA isn’t fun and engaging…and neither was WoD.

2 Likes

The flying fiasco soured people on it, then it was short on content because they were doing the Warcraft movie then.

Then Thrall kills Garrosh after the player has been fighting him.

I was really angry and resentful about the flying deal so that coloured my vision of WoD but since then, I’ve leveled through it and now can see that it was pretty good.

I wouldn’t call it the worst expac. It has a lot of good stuff in it. Just short.