Why is the Timeless Isle the golden standard?

Why is it the golden standard for patch zone content? It was incredibly boring and the idea to mark rares and treasures on your mini-map destroys any semblance of exploration left in the game

8 Likes

You go in , pull the zone , kill , loot and go home . This was before Aoe cap btw .

Players like mass aoe festivals :partying_face:

4 Likes

I mean it wasn’t all that awesome back then, but in comparison to the half of the future patch zones, sometimes less is more. :man_shrugging:

1 Like

best world pvp
rewarding weekly bosses
awesome battlepets that to this day still sell for a lot
beautiful zone
exclusive and challenging ordos that encouraged doing the legendary cloak campaign
lots of currency drop, actually useful things to buy with said currency
easy catchup gear for alts through boa armour

it felt more like an endgame hub with things to do than a mindless grind to me

44 Likes

The W PvP was quite some fun, plus aesthetically it was quite nice.

I loved Timeless Isle because almost every rare dropped some sort of toy, mount or pet. There were also mobs to farm for a small chance to drop some sort of collectable. On top of that the zone size felt perfect where I could wonder around and still get to certain rares before they died. I also liked the PvP, bosses, somewhat random events and treasures to search for. I got every single collectable in that zone when it was relevant and I loved it. Huluon (sp?) is my go-to mount right now.

8 Likes

there was such a variety of things to, questing, farming, so many collectables, 5 (well 2) open world raid bosses, events, world pvp, same faction world pvp, huge pet battle event you could go around get all the buffs and have some fun.

basically it took all the positive things people enjoyed doing, and chucked on an island

6 Likes

I thought it was a great place. It was aesthetically pretty and easy to navigate. Every rare had a low chance to drop something cool so it was fun and rewarding to farm them. There were world bosses too. Very easy to get catch up gear for alts. Like one lap around the island got you into almost full epics and LFR status.

And it had a solid community, people chatting and calling out rares. Or WPvP murder squads locking down the roads. But there was just stuff to do there, even if only to hang out.

8 Likes

My favorite part was the amount of groups I joined and the people I met in them. You could group up and grind certain mobs for items and toys or rares. Now I click join group, kill rare, and go on my way to a different phase. Not a word said and noone in sight that I was just teamed up with.

8 Likes

Except that no one was doing that until much later. What made it great was the amount of ‘stuff’ to do there, the hidden treasures, the secret places to get to, the pacing of rare spawns, the boss that you had to have the cape to get to, etc.

As little as I cared for MoP, TI was definitely cool, and something they simply haven’t been able to re-create. IoT also had its charms.

5 Likes

Unrivalled WPVP experience. Anytime you went there, you would find incredible fights with creative tactics, between factions and with everyone else - using the censor of eternal agony. It felt awesome to team up with your nemesis from the opposite faction and roam around in a posse ganking people.

Back before sharding destroyed server community…

EDIT: The best part was when you ganked enough people from both factions that the entire island would hunt down your group of 5 or 7 crossfaction censered players. Then we’d call in our friends and they would call in theirs from off the island. It was bloody delightful good show.

Aha , so you are responsible for all the General chat wpvp QQ :rofl:

1 Like

TI is the MAW 1.0 change my mind or don’t

I never got the hype around Timeless Isle. It was alright, certainly better than say Broken Shore but assuming it gave similar rewards I’d be happier doing something like Isle of Quel’Danas.

1 Like

I hate the legacy of Timeless Isle for one reason:

It’s what introduced the idea of “rare spawns on a 4 hour timer with a 1% chance of dropping what you want”.

Unfortunately, a model that Blizzard is still using heavily to this day.

2 Likes

Lots of patch content even before was single zone playgrounds, going all the way back to Isle of Quel’Danas in TBC. Timeless Isle had a lot of other rewards beyond just being a rep grind for a raid or something though. What is unfortunate is how little innovation or improvement has happened since TI in the last 8 years of WoW.

Crystal of insanity! /thread.

3 Likes

I’m curious if you prefer the longer who knows when but guaranteed drop like the Timeless Proto Drake? I was super lucky to get that before server merges became a thing. Personally I think I prefer the current style.

Lots of collectibles- mounts, toys, pets, etc. Addons were made to track the rare spawns and people in general chat were very vocal about it. It was fun.

this is the best answer

6 Likes