Why is the story so terrible?

You identified a big part of the problem. The only thing I have to add is these ideologues among the writers have also worked in some anti-religious sentiment - which is a feather in the social justice cap and goes hand-in-hand with their anti punishment sentiment (or maybe anti-punishment comes from their hatred of religion - it’s a “which came first, the chicken or the egg?” situation)

This started by using the naaru character Xe’ra to undermine the good reputation of the naaru (they even admitted this agenda in an interview https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8PBzHRc4FZY&t=27m55s ). The writers and some of the fans project authority figures they don’t like onto Xe’ra. How do I know this? They kill Xe’ra off by having an edgy character kill her in a rejection of her attempt to forcibly purify him, then bring back an AU version of her as a villain (way to have your cake and eat it too, writers).

This is followed by villain-batting Yrel and the AU Draenei - sweeping the AU Draenei’s legitimate grievances under the rug - to tell the story “Light fanaticism bad 2, electric boogaloo”, which we’ve already done with the Scarlet Crusade, so why retread old ground unless you’re pushing a message on the audience. The only reason this clear agenda has survived so far is because it’s popular with parts of the fanbase.

And right here in the latest expansion, we find out the cosmic justice system is broken. In fact, I made a thread on this anti-punishment subject myself Is the World of Warcraft story anti-justice?

4 Likes