Why Is Striving For Exellence Looked Down Upon In GD?

Why are player who thrive to be good at games looked down upon and ridiculed in WoW/Video Games? What’s wrong with wanting to be good at something you enjoy doing with your spare time?

44 Likes

Striving for excellence?

It’s really important to always strive to be your best, and to achieve personal goals.

I have no idea that this action is frowned upon.

3 Likes

This will be a trend that’ll thankfully plague the retail community only.

11 Likes

If you can’t accomplish what another person accomplishes, disdain it. Ridicule their achievements, thereby ridiculing them.

In other words, if you can’t have… hate.

14 Likes

Because some people are overly defensive and anytime you say “I want to be the best I can” they read “I expect you to the best you can and if you aren’t you suck”.

If I had a nickel for every time I have felt the need to add “I am speaking for myself personally… not how I think in regards to anyone else…” I would probably have a lifetime sub.

9 Likes

I had no idea that GD was against that. Is this new?

21 Likes

Is this really an issue? I mean no one would even know that I sim, or engage in any other “try hard” behavior unless i tell them. And even if they did know, it still doesnt prevent me from achieving my goals.

4 Likes

I wouldn’t say new… but it is starting to happen more and more frequently. People get called toxic or elitist.

4 Likes

They are?>

They don’t get called that because they are striving to be as good as they can be. They get called that when they use it as a bludgeon to look down upon and beat anyone they don’t deem worthy into a bloody pile. There is nothing wrong with wanting to be as good as you can be. There is everything wrong when you’re an arrogant prick about it. They’re not called toxic because of the striving part, they’re called toxic for the arrogance part.

44 Likes

Some people are toxic though, they focus more on the faults of others than their own.

3 Likes

Nobody is against striving for excellence.

What people are against are the ones who want to push down others to make themselves look better. They’re not striving for excellence, they want to stay where they’re at while making other people worse.

18 Likes

I wish that were true, but it’s not. That’s not to say some don’t deserve it, because they do… but there are also instances where people ASSUME people are implying something they are not… I have even had it directed at me and I am about as far from an elitist as possible these days.

2 Likes

Some guy did that in M+ Shrine today. Within the first minute he started nitpicking and complaining, then we get to the first boss and he died to the easily avoidable Surging Rush. Eventually he had a fit and left group. Prime example of a toxic player right there.

4 Likes

About 95% of the time it is. Unfortunately there are so many people who are as I described that it has soured the rest of the population.

2 Likes

There’s a difference between striving for excellence and using your skill level as an excuse to act like a jerk to those around you.

16 Likes

I suppose that is true but it really frustrates me when people do not read the words someone is saying but assume what they are saying based on their experiences with other people. It just creates a nasty circle of hate and negativity.

Nada-- its when you act like D-bags it becomes a problem.

12 Likes

i guess thats just the culture these days, but dont let it bother you so much! do what you want to do thats fun to you! and hang out with people who think the same way!

This isn’t a thing.

3 Likes