Why is Saurfang portrayed as the good guy?

That’s funny, cause that’s what your disapproval usually denotes.

Also everything you just said is silly. Don’t you have women in video games to cry about not being able to hit? I can’t possibly fathom the depths of your delirium.

Seriously dude, get a grip. If anyone is tone deaf, it’s you.

I agree. Largely, I think seeing the world through the lens of gender politics leads to extreme paranoia, especially when you’re this pedantic about it. It looks to me more like the characters are just acting as they have been - I don’t think there’s some grand misogyny or feminist agenda at play.

6 Likes

Only Horde get cinematics because this is their expansion.

As for his portrayal. Welcome to schrodinger’s Honor Horde.
Where they can be war criminals in one moment and honourable warriors in the next at the same time.

Some hate Sylvanas fanboys but they are the most honest kind of Horde playerbase you may meet.

8 Likes

I mean, if Sylvanas had suddenly become a spiteful and cruel character after she got control then yeah sure, I’d agree with you. But anyone that has followed the lore (and that isn’t totally biased) for the past 15 years+ could have told you where Sylvanas as the Warchief was likely headed.

If you wanna fire away at her character in general for displaying aspects of the stereotype of the vengeful woman that’s controlled by her emotions, or argue that they should have picked a better candidate for the first female leader, then go for it. I agree that Blizzard has definitely shown some tone-deafness over the course of time. Sylvanas being the Warchief doesn’t really have to do with her being the foil to Saurfang/Anduin though, that’s just being faithful to her pre-established character.

19 Likes

I made a post a few days ago about the writer’s hamfisted using of the writing tool called Framing. This is why Saurfang gets all those cinematics, to frame him as the moral centre of the Horde, the old soldier who just cares about his honour. He’s used as the writer’s get out of jail free card, so that they can pile all the blame on Sylvanas and the Horde as an entity can keep going on as a player faction.

They wanted the scene of Saurfang charging over the mountains roaring ‘LOK’TAR OGAR!’ but then also wanted him to be the good guy people remember from prior expansions. They don’t expect players to remember things, in all honesty, and Saurfang himself is at odds with the kind of orcs they have fun writing.

17 Likes

This is the larger point.

I can use Jaina, Tyrande, and Sylvanas as examples of Blizzard’s tone deafness on gender issues. That is just one facet. One issue.

Tone deafness abounds with Blizzard.

There is still confusion around the “Old Soldier” cinematic. When does it take place in the story line?

When it was first released, there was no “prereq” for the Saurfang quest line - so the Old Soldier cinematic could have happened at any time. Yet - they changed it to require The War Campaign through to Rastakhan’s death. So did Old Soldier happen before the Battle of Dazaralor, or after?

/tinfoil hat

It almost seems like the Saurfang quest was released sooner than they had planned with no prereq to placate the unexpected Horde backlash. To placate Horde players who were more disturbed and less ecstatic than Blizzard thought. The fact that it had no prereq and one was added later makes me suspicious.

18 Likes

No matter how many thousand cinematics they make of him, He will never stop being the followings:

• A coward
  • A Traitor
  • A Person who turns his back on his allies during a battle
20 Likes

Orgrim, Durotan, Thrall in the Garrosh regime, and Vol’jin were traitors. And you, are blatantly ignorant of the similarity of Sylvanas and Arthas beat by beat.

3 Likes

Saurfang is sad, he’s sad that it happened. I mean he wanted to slaughter your sentinels, conquer your land and take a bath in your moon wells, but he don’t wanted to kill you all, that’s why he’s so sad. That deserves 3 cinematic and how he want “his Horde” back 🤷

36 Likes

Those three get framing the worst, which is both hilarious and sad. Jaina especially has had years of it, saying she’s a big warmonger when most of the times she’s basically just keeps saying mean things and not actually taking any action.

I mean, look at that Dazar’alor cutscene, look at how sinister she looks there, and then it’s like “Well she didn’t actually kill the king… he kind of blew up from too much death magic use… also she doesn’t want to press the attack anymore. But Daughter of the Sea, guys!!!”

15 Likes

Best thing is that she have lesser hatred to the horde than before the burning of Teldrassil, just like Genn.

4 Likes

All is forgiven.
All is permissible.

As long as it is so that the Horde may endure.

Whatever that means.

2 Likes

My views on Sylvanas are very clear and all I want for her is death or whatever punishment that fits the crime.
Saurfang well I have mixed feelings. There is no doubt he is responsible for the attack on Kaldorei lands but as far as I’m aware he is genuinely beaten because of it and now he feels guilty regretting what he did.
The issue here is how Blizzard will handle the situation. If he is indeed regretful he has to show it with actions and not words. He has to actively seek his redemption rather than waiting for it to come to him. So far he has expressed those feelings to his fellow horde members but that means nothing to the Alliance and even less to Night elves. He is going to need to find a good way to come to Tyrande/Malfurion and apologize followed by offering his services to right his wrongs. Only then I can see a natural development and not a forced peace that sprouted out of nowhere.

2 Likes

That would probably be the only solution for a redemption, but knowing blizzard I doubt it

1 Like

moonwell baths are amazing, that alone is a reason to take darkshore and ashenvale.

3 Likes

Because he feels bad about Tel, while being a model orc otherwise. Not to mention the traumatized veteran angle plus a dead son makes it easy to feel bad for him.

2 Likes

Feel like he only cares about himself. He likes to start a war, murder thousands but when his leader decides to kill a few more thousands, then he feels bad and wants his old horde back. It’s not like he spared innocents on his bloody rush towards teldrassil

8 Likes

But he was fine by conquering them, killing them, exploiting their lands and keeping them imprisoned indefinitely.

The only thing that Saurfang is sad about is not killing them in an honourable combat.
Which usually means conventional battles.

5 Likes

Its not about how many died. Its how they died that he has a problem with.

6 Likes

Because that’s not relevant in terms of honor. Death is a part of war and in war innocents die. Saurfang for no particular reason decided that suddenly other considerations were in play when he had the enemy commander dead to rights. He had lost his faith in the warchief and in war itself, but he had nothing to replace the vacuum he had created inside himself.

That sadly will be true no matter which side gets the villisn bat bevause they cant get rid of a faction this in the end they will hug and make