Why is rio viewed as toxic?

also blamed the community

what did i make up? you said the tool was toxic and the community had unreasonable standards in your first post? your whole point was the tool is toxic,right? now its changed because youve been presented evidence that shows it isnt?

From a narrative flow point of view, perhaps. Mechanically, Mekkatorque was designed around a cheap gimmick.

Jaina and Azshara were good, but I’d put UU’nat at the top.

Because people are self conscious about people looking up their armory and they feel offended as if they got caught naked out in public.

Honestly my position on it being toxic is more on the lower end with people only accepting the highest IO. This is specifically really the tools fault. It’s a problem the tool itself creates. Instead of a first come first serve basis It becomes the highest score gets the spot. Creating a problem of people with low scores having hard time finding groups, even if it’s for a lower key. Perhaps toxic is the wrong word for it, but it does create some frustration among people who are justified in feeling so. Being denied a key because someone is overqualified sucks. This literally wouldn’t be the case without IO.

It would be. People with higher io usually have higher gear, so they would still take your spot. Again, in low keys i have no problem getting into groups. (on alts)

I didn’t blame the community as a whole. That’s a bit of an exaggeration. I blamed certain folks within the community for using it beyond how it was designed and what issues it creates.

You said I changed my position, I didn’t. My literal first post stated otherwise. And nobody showed anyone any evidence other than anecdotes. You and I both know this. It’s all a matter of opinion.

your position has shifted to “rio is an inadequate tool” from “i dont like it cause it gatekeeps”

My position has been the same the entire time. You’re welcome to tell yourself whatever helps you sleep at night.

Back on topic, I’m still for ways to improve the feature for everyone, whether it’s still 3rd party or implemented by Blizzard.

Sunwell didn’t have a heroic setting. That was introduced in WotLK.

1 Like

A shifting position shouldn’t be viewed harshly, in fact. It should be welcomed if it goes from one you view as unreasonable to a more reasonable one you can discuss. A person after they change their position to a more reasonable one is often more likely to concede their position entirely or become more open to the idea of your own position even if only partially.

I feel like the N’zoth and Carapace fights were meant to be a single fight. Fury was supposed to take place of Psychus in a final phase of the fight. But then they decided to split them into 2 fights, and they just repeated the same phase over and over for N’zoth to make it a “real” fight.

The analogy I’ve always used is that WoW Raiding is like a dance. Dodge this mechanic, soak this mechanic, spread, stack, burn, use defensives.

Every individual move of a dance is easy, it’s stringing them together without making a mistake that becomes the challenge.

Azshara in particular took this literally when she gave you commands in Mythic.

You’ve got:

Spread from other players.
Stack on other players.
Soak an Orb
Avoid Orbs.
Stand Still
Keep Moving.

You get two random decrees, the only limitation is that they can’t contradict each other.

So Keep Moving + Spread from other players is easy. You just gotta run around and not touch anyone.

Soak an Orb + Spread means you have to solo soak an Orb.

Stack + Avoid Orbs means you have to stand somewhere that isn’t an orb + is on another player.

And during all this, she spawns about 6 Orbs that HAVE to be soaked, else they’ll explode and kill everyone. If you fail to perform a decree, you’ll get one stack of a ticking DoT. Fail two and you get two stacks. These stack, so if you stand still when you’re supposed to be moving, then you can get 20+ stacks and die cause it’s unhealable.

So the end result is complete and utter chaos and it’s something that WoW had never seen before, even though it’s simply a combination of the 6 most basic mechanics in WoW.

I guess my point which I’d mostly forgotten about halfway through writing a mere fraction of the Azshara guide is, that just because we’ve seen mechanics before doesn’t mean they can’t be put into combinations that throw you into a loop.

The Devs who make raid fights are the video game equivalents of those people who can make literally 100 different and unique dishes out of Rice, Chicken and Beans.

I’m talking from a Mythic PoV. From a narrative PoV, I would argue that Yogg was a way better example of an Old God fight than N’zoth was, despite being 10 years older.

If you ever had to make a fight based on a Gnomish Tinker though, Mekkatorque was how you’d do it.

Mechanically though on Mythic the fight was incredibly solid. Tthe fight emphasized mechanics which couldn’t be cheesed with addons (easily at least) and positioning depending on what mechanic, or mechanics you had to deal with at any one time.

The only real interesting mechanic for M N’zoth was the overlap between Paranoia and the drag backwards, so you had to position you and your partner so you wouldn’t get dragged over the Neutrons (or Jimmies as our guild called them) and also so you wouldn’t drain sanity.

The Mythic only phase was SUPER disappointing as well.

Uu’nat was interesting, but Crucible as a raid was incredibly poorly timed. The only people I knew who even bothered with that raid were those who’d already finished BoD by the time it came out.

If Jaina is a 9.5, Azshara is a 9, G’huun is a 6.5 and N’zoth is a 6. Uu’nat gets a NA because I never devoted enough prog to him to form an opinion.

Man, could you imagine Mythic Carapace and N’zoth being combined into one fight.

That’d take like 20 minutes of non-stop combat. Brutal.

3 Likes

Equivalent of a 25 man you mean

It was then till ICC where they separated difficulty

Uh, no. I don’t mean that. Before WotLK raids had no settings. Sunwell was a 25 player raid with no settings.

1 Like

While you are not wrong, positions can shift and they’re normal, which shows an open mind (some may construe this as being naive, however). His insinuation was that I didn’t think it was the tool being bad when my first post in the entire thread said so.

There are not many who raided Yogg that would disagree with this either way. Yogg was considered one of the best raid encounters in history. It was praised more than the encounter with… me in ICC.

Oh really? Did you come by this information through your vast knowledge of slamming high keys?

LOL no.

You have routes, cooldown usage, and at certain key levels you need to know how to perform much more complex mechanics.

For example, first boss of Freehold. If I pug this key on a 15, the first boss will be tanked randomly in any given spot. The DPS will just DPS, and just hope the boss doesnt shoot them.

If I pug this key on a 20, the ranged DPS will now be 35 yards away, to not take damage from the shot, and maybe we have someone who knows what they are doing baiting the bird.

If I pug this on a 23 or a 24, now you can expect the ranged and / or healer to know how to bait the bird without being told what to do. The boss will be tanked in the corner by the fence so mele DPS can line of sight the shot, as it now 1 shots.

This is all the same boss, same key, same mechanics, but you can see how experience is king. If you haven’t done Freehold on a 23+, you probably don’t even know that line of sighting the shot is a thing, and even if you did, you haven’t practiced it.

Proof you have no idea what you are talking about, and also validation for why raiderio exists.

1 Like

Think they learned that from garrosh

You’d remove the final phase of Carapace. You engage with N’zoth once you emerge from the cave, doing the tentacle dance with Fury. There would be only 1 portal phase. It would be a long fight (12 mins or so), but not outside of norm for end-of-expansion encounter.

I agree. I find I’m spending more and more of my game time on PVE raiding, not because I especially like it, but because Blizzard is so good at designing raids.

It’s a pity they can’t be as consistently good at world PVP, battlegrounds, 5 mans, etc.

I mean even not taking into account the nostalgia, you’d think a boss with a rap sheet as long as N’zoth would at least have some sort of tie in to that. Like when you went in Yoggs brain and witnessed the Assassination of King Llane, or the creation of the Dragon Soul.

N’zoth’s just kinda like “here’s a voiceline of Sylvanas betraying you, now dodge some arrows” and the rest is just generic old god/void/sanity mechanics.

It’s fine mechanically, but thematically it was an incredibly poor send off. Even Deathwing was infinitely better.

TBH that sounds like a way more fun fight than either Carapace or N’zoth himself.

1 Like