Why is it "impossible" for them to give us AV 1.5?

I just don’t understand the logic here for a number of reasons:

1. In terms of technology, nothing that was possible 15+ years ago should be impossible today. The argument from Blizzard’s standpoint always gets off on the wrong foot, IMO, with with this idiocy; if the BG existed once (and yes, it wasn’t X-server, then, but the actual battleground itself was there), then it should be possible for it to exist again. Even if it had to be rebuilt from the ground up, it could exist again. Also, the very fact that original AV-like gameplay was possible on private servers pretty much makes hash of the “we can’t do it because reasons” position. If some bros in a basement could rebuild a facsimile of AV 1.5., Blizzard could, too.

2. This would imply, then, that being far from impossible, it is too time-consuming for them to bother… which, frankly, is an argument that I am inclined to reject wholesale (while making a rude gesture). WoW Classic is costing them virtually nothing to run - they aren’t developing content for it, they aren’t massively advertising it, they don’t have to do internal R&D research for it - it’s just “there.” And people are paying a monthly sub to play it - to play, what amounts to, a stuffed, dead product (that they had previously gotten for free [albeit illegally] elsewhere]. So why can’t this ONE thing be made right?

3. There’s also the possibility that some (and maybe a great majority) of people at Blizzard would make the case that “you think you want AV 1.5, but you really don’t” (let’s be honest: they’ve held this dismissive perspective many times before…). But, the thing is, a lot of us really DO want those 8+ hour battles, not only because they were epic; not only because they mattered to us on a more personal level than some 5-25 minute slaughter, but BECAUSE, EVEN WHEN YOU LOST, YOU FELT LIKE YOU HAD BEEN PART OF SOMETHING GRAND. Current AV - AV since they ruined things in BC - has lost that element. We thought we would get it back in Classic. We have been proven wrong.

Honestly, AV was what compelled me to pick up classic - it was, as far as I am concerned - the beating heart of the PvP experience from vanilla (YMMV, of course). Having it rendered as the desiccated remains of a once-great thing is an insult to the #nochanges campaign, and ultimately calls into question the entire purpose of Classic. If you cannot do this one thing right, then shut down the freaking servers, because you are too incompetent, lazy, or contemptuous to be given control over something so sacred.

23 Likes

The Geneva Convention declared that many hours in AV to be a war crime.

17 Likes

I love how you managed to hold it together until the end.

14 Likes

Because the cat is out of the bag now. If you think people were complaining now I guarantee it will be even worse. I’m not even limiting it to Horde complaints either.

I don’t even care about the whole “Alliance losing, Horde winning,” thing - as far as I am concerned, that will work itself out one way or another. I just want the opportunity to play what was, to me, that absolute most exciting element of original vanilla, bar-none.

5 Likes

OMG! An AV post, haven’t seen one of these since…

…well, since the post right before it.

:sleeping:

2 Likes

And some people want to play original MC with original talents.
And others don’t want 1.5 AV, they want 1.8 AV.
And some people want them to implement fixes to AV that occurred in TBC.
And some people want fixes to abilities that occurred in TBC.
And some people want them to buff BWL because it’s “supposed to be the hard raid right now, it should be buffed to preserve the Vanilla experience!”
And some people want them to implement a billion different fixes to premades and grouping in BG’s because they don’t like being stomped.
And some people say that Blizzard listening to the community ruined the game, and now those people want Blizzard to listen to the community.

1.5 AV never existed with current talents or gear. 1.5 AV wouldn’t be the same experience it was in 2005. 1.5 AV wouldn’t fix every problem that every person that is never satisfied has with the game.

7 Likes

Because they don’ wanna.

3 Likes

I heard it in my head, starting out all calm and reasoned and ending up red-faced, foaming at the mouth, and screaming at the screen. Pounding on the desk to punctuate every last word!

1 Like

:star:

1 Like

Oooooo

I’m out of stars for like, three hours.

2 Likes

Or hearts, whatever.

1 Like

Here, I have some to spare: :star:

Give them all to me when you have more.

Now you’re just messing with me.

1 Like

No one will play an 8 hour av unless they made changes to gaining reputation. People only do it for rep now.

Of course! :grin:

1.12 never existed without AQ or ZG gear.

Korrak’s revenge was developed as a representation of AV for the 15th anniversary celebration. Players had BFA gear and BFA talents. This was all developed, development time was spend to create it, test it extensively, and then be used… for a limited length of time. Not to mention that no matter what version of AV is used for classic, nothing external of the BG would be the slightest bit different.

And yet here you are, attempting to play the weak card of “1.5 cAnNoT bE pLaYeD wItH 1.12 gEaR aNd tAlEnTs”

Very few who like myself wanted early AV for classic, would have qualms if they simply removed this crap fest version in classic, and replaced it with KR. Which already exists and is now gathering dust, unused.

8 Likes

That av sucked and there are a lot of good reasons it’s gone.