Why is classic+ not even considered in the survey?

Classic+ have been talked about and chanted by the community for years now. Blizzard gotta know that this is a thing and likely the most popular path for classic WoW after Wrath.

I was watching Asmongold the other day when he was talking about the survey and he proceeded to ask his chat what people would like to see after classic, and although there were some mixed answers the most popular by far was classic+ but almost none said Cataclysm.

19 Likes

I would hazard a guess that they only have one new development path going forward and that is retail. Wow Classic, TBCC and WotLKC are not new development. They are more like the xpac version of the Forsaken. Given what’s been accomplished in the last two xpacs, I’m okay with them not considering classic+.

8 Likes

ofc they can, we are charged subscription.

2 Likes

They don’t want to develop 2 warcrafts.
They want to make retail appeal to both but I don’t think that they can without going back to classes being abilities + utility vs abilities + tons of cooldowns.

Venruki did a video about it. Basically, in wotlk, frostbolt hits for 30% your hp when it crits. In retail, it crits for 4% of your hp but CAN crit up to 30% with cooldowns and procs and trinkets and legos and debuffs and having things line up just right.

My wotlk warrior has more buttons than my retail warrior and instead of several cooldowns it has utility- baseline utility. It feels like it should feel to play a warrior all the time- instead of just when warbreaker is up.

12 Likes

For those super dumb people, not me, who don’t know what classic+ is maybe you could explain.

3 Likes

You create an alternate development fork from a previous version.

So imagine if after Naxx in vanilla, we had a Dragon isle zone and raid or a raid of hearthglen / whatever the scarlet crusade raid planned was called, or we get Crypts of Kara, another cut raid tier.

7 Likes

improved and modified vanilla wow with additional content beyond phase 6.

6 Likes

Mage, rogue, and feral druid just are not fun in retail…for the last several expansions.

9 Likes

Classes have felt progressively weirder with layered systems.

Like, backstab hits for 2% of a persons HP… unless you stack buffs/cds/debuffs and then it’s slapping them for like 20%.

Backstab in classic works like you expect it to. It hits hard.

9 Likes

Comparing classic to retail is not the point of this tread, completely different game. Improving vanilla doesn’t mean turing it into retail it just means changing some specs that don’t work and adding some other good stuff from tbc and wrath so classes feel more complete.

2 Likes

I took the point of this thread to be discussing alternatives/divergence from the path taken by Retail. No?

1 Like

I sort of took your post that way, like “We shouldn’t just keep going down the road to retail because look at how much more fun people are having with woltk classes” hence classic+

Personally, I feel that Cata forcing you to go to the capstone of your talent tree was the start of the end.

2 Likes

I think the basic design…and amount of talents in WotlK was peak.

4 Likes

For example, rogue feels like a complete class in tbc, warrior prot doesn’t, so prot warrior might need some changes and talents from wrath.

They’ve said many, many times they will never deviate from the story already told.

Classic+ (or anything+) won’t happen.

1 Like

They said nothing, in an interview Ion said he’ll see want players want.

1 Like

I agree with that. It was the most complete and flexible imo- the perfect balance.

You could go deep arms for bladestorm… or you could also go half prot for concblow/spell reflecting fear/sheep off your healer/more disarms for peeling your healer/lower move speed reduction duration for more stickiness.
You had a choice between superman and batman’s utility belt.

Cata deletes that and it only gets more restrictive from then on.

2 Likes

They have. You’re just completely wrong, sorry.

timestamped

2 Likes

Because why would they devote resources to create new content for “classic” when they can just create retail…and focus on that.

That’s logical from a business standpoint…you guys are a bit delusional on what makes Blizzard money, and it’s not the classic player base, sorry to break it to you.

Retail is Blizzards main source of income, when it comes to WoW franchise, Wow token sales, micro transactions are their main income.

Classic doesn’t really produce anything outside of services or the random packs they provide, retail still has the higher player base/income.

Classic + makes no sense and I doubt any of you would like what Blizzard would do anyway, we don’t have the OG devs anymore…they wouldn’t even know how to make classic+…they never worked on the original game.

Doing SOM seasons of vanilla, tbc, wrath on rotations would make the most sense.

1 Like