Why is a bonus week wasted on pet pvp?

It doesn’t work as I can stand side by side with a friend, we both que, and sit there 30 minutes with neither of us getting qued.

It really is just a waste of a bonus week and with the broken queuing system a waste of time and effort on the part of players.

18 Likes

It’s not a wasted week if you’re really into pet battles, and some people are! Same for people who aren’t into PvP or PvE when those bonus weeks occur.

I don’t have level 25 pets so I can’t really compete, maybe I’ll get into that sometime!

17 Likes

It should be really comboed with another event though, like one of the pvp weeklies.

3 Likes

color me suprised. i can’t imagine having fun with that. i’d be interested in the actual numbers on this one. i have a feeling that’s the most ignored quest out of all the weeklies.

3 Likes

Not the point. It doesn’t work. If it worked I would agree it would not be a waste.

It doesn’t work.

1 Like

Don’t get me started on that “rat” icon buff that follows us the entire week

Well you could say there is likely some logic that goes into matchmaking. Players that have too high a degree of social circle overlapping could lead to win-trading thus there is a way lower chance of fighting each other (or only after X number of matches).

It’s not for lack of participation, I mentioned that I can que with a friend and NEVER see a pet pvp battle whilst we both wait 30 minutes without getting a single battle with ANYONE.

I hear what you’re saying but just because I don’t do the content doesn’t meant those folks shouldn’t get love.

I want a Torghast week, but the forums would scream bloody murder.

3 Likes

Genuinely curious who is really into pet battles. I’ve collected quite a few and leveled quite a few, but I have never once engaged in the PvP pet battle queue. Pet battles are just sometimes a nice distraction when leveling an alt, or picking up those extra world quests rewards.

Have pet battles ever been touched for balance (or enjoyment) since they came out? Sure new pets are released, but there’s basically a select set of overpowered pets you use for everything and that’s that.

I’d be amazed to know there are more avid pet battlers who look forward to pet battle weeks than there are never-nudes who wear shorts to shower.

3 Likes

They’ve been balanced several times. Blizz had even put out a notice they were intending to break several metas with 8.3 but then pushed that back to 9.0 (given we had like 5+ vision/cloak iterations in that development cycle).

The thing is the truly committed are those who have had since like mop end/wod practically 80-90% of pets and leveled up. Only real times for catchup were in legion onwards for people with pet charm WQs and table missions. But even then it’s just dumping currency in the pets but not battling.

They really just make that week so people post on forums how they don’t do battle pets.
So far it’s working
Also it’s fine to take a break and not always have a weekly to do xd

3 Likes

Yes they did that a couple times actually when some strats were too strong.

Not a big majority, but they exist!

Me, the leveling grind for pets makes me want to do literally anything else, so I forego it. The biggest thing I’ve done is get a sheep for a pet!

Sheep are the best.

I don’t Arena so that’s a wasted week for me.

3 Likes

I’d kinda like that too.

The easiest solution would be for Blizzard to double up weeks. One “Main Progression” which would be the usual PvE or PvP item for the week, and one “Other Progression”, which could be pet battles, Torghast, etc.

4 Likes

They should divide weekly events up into PVE, PVP and World.
Or at least divided into Instanced vs World.
And have 1 from each category active.

That way a week could have:
Arena, Mythic Dungeons, and World Quests.
Rated BGs, Time Walking, Pet Battles
Epic BGs, Raid Week (add this), Reputation week (add this)

1 Like

Interesting. I guess it’s easy to miss when you’re not really engaged in the content.

I suppose my angle was more of a complaint at how incredibly overpowered some pets are, relative to others. There are certain pets I like, that I simply cannot engage with because you cannot be successful with them even in type advantaged battles.

Sort of like the Shadowlands adventure tables, though those are ludicrously and appallingly stunning in how imbalanced the units are to each other and between covenants. But I digress from the topic.

I wish I could grind up any pet I choose and have it be viable / over-leveled compared to the world content. By all means, level-lock competitive content. Like Pokemon. That’s mostly why I disengaged personally.

Needing to puzzle out the perfect setup and make sure all my 85% hit chance abilities hit every time, all my 1-2 +1 attacks hit 3 times, and the enemy misses at least one attack, to make it through a simple world quest is a painful chore. All because there are certain meta OP pets that Blizzard expects you to be using I guess? Gives me the impression balance has never been touched.

Every week is a wasted week for someone. Skip it like the rest of us skip other weeks we don’t enjoy.

4 Likes

Yea there’s mostly some key pets (still a decent amount I’d say about 200) and you can make strats around them. With the amount they made there’s a lot of repetition made mostly for them to be collectables.