Why I'm quitting BGs as an Alliance player

1. I started in late vanilla/early BC. This is a second account I bought to do recruit a friend with two buddies. RIP baby blizzard bear.

2. I’m not offended. Just dumb that people expect it to add credibility to their dime-a-dozen opinions.

9 Likes

The answer to this is simple, and has been obvious for a long time.

Rewards in BGs need to be based far less on winning, and more based playing.

Use the rated systems and arenas to reward those interested in “winning to advance”.

Other games figured this out years ago, you need to keep the gap between the rewards for winners and losers narrow or people just give up and stop playing the second theirs side falls behind.

The changes to the honor system only amplified this, as honor itself is worthless now. There is no difference for your advancement if you have a 1 hour struggle in AV getting all 4 horde towers and losing the DPS race on Drek or if the horde stop you into the ground in 5 minutes while you sit afk in the cave. A loss in both cases gives you nothing.

It’s idiotic, and it has directly lead to this issue of the alliance not even bothering.

Get rid of this conquest for gear nonsense, bring back honor gear for BGs and reward much more honor for losing than is currently done in most BGs. The goal should be for players to play for fun, and get rewarded for having the fun.

I have done thousands of BGs over more than a decade starting with when BGs were invented until now, and this is the least fun I have seen the system be.

37 Likes

The only reason I put that was to comment on how I’ve seen the trend of PVP over 7 expansions now and that BfA is the expansion that broke the camel’s back. I get that it’s a meme, but it bothered you so much you felt the need to comment on it.

4 Likes

And templates were a bandaid fix to the issue that ignored the critical idea that the whole point of playing PvP in an MMO is to do it with your character that you built up.

WoW PVP on it’s own isn’t that good, it’s being able to do it with your toon that that you can progress that makes it worthwhile.

4 Likes

And how exactly would they do this per player in Bgs?

1 Like

And iLVL matters a ton.

You can look at a scoreboard to know if you have any chance at all of winning a BG in a few minutes.

If they are killing your faction at a rate of 5 to 1, you have no chance. No amount of tactics can overcome that, even in a place like AV.

8 Likes

I thought it was .1 per 10, but I think you’re right…but Im getting this info off xpoff.com so not 100% sure if accurate

1 Like

Weird. I’ve been in quite a few where horde were dominating in kills/dmg but we won because they ignored objectives. No bg is decided in a few minutes.

4 Likes

It’s good to take breaks when you know it’s time. On the other hand, if you do decide to stay you might have a blast looking for other ways to have fun in BGs: automating this project, PvP achievement hunting (you are so close to Justicar!), or you might enjoy doing premade AVs.

I survived WoD by going after PvP achievements; it was a blast with the short queues and they gave me something to focus on instead of winning or losing. Some time in AB between We Had it All Along Cough and Resilient Victory I realized that I enjoyed losing with friends more than winning alone. WoW can be weird like that sometimes.

I wish you the best of luck, no matter whether you decide to take a break or tough it out. I’m going to look into automating what you’ve started, as I think it might help me keep queuing and meeting new people. Plus you gave me an idea for making one of those weird word-prevalence charts, but for Horde and Alliance BG chat.

How did you get links?!?!?! Just putting something in bold works? This is magical!

2 Likes

in pvp the damage is scaled, ilvl only matters for the performance of some classes

sure, but you can’t always throw the blame for that on heals, and you certainly can’t put it on ilvl.

i was in an AV where horde had 9 heals to the 1 on alliance, and we couldn’t take SHGY and ended up losing to attrition. quality is better than quantity.

2 Likes

I see the trolls who want to deny the data are out in force, as predicted in my other thread.

5 Likes

This is a pretty good point. As long as I’m having fun, I don’t care as much, but I still enjoy winning more and making progress toward a goal (conquest bar, gear, currency, etc). For some folks, that’s just not as efficient on Alliance right now for some reason.

2 Likes

If you are talking a smaller BG when you have a premade team, sure you can make up the difference in killing power by smart tactics.

I have won plenty of WSG games back in the day with my A team premade against horde teams that vastly out geared us and were mopping the floor with us in kills.

But in random groups and especially in the 40 mans you are pretty much screwed if they can just wreck you in fights.

4 Likes

Nope. Even solo queuing.

3 Likes

put ` on each side of the link…thats the same key with tilde on it

2 Likes

My only regret is that I have but one heart to give!

1 Like

I’m not sure what you’re saying here. Giving the best gear only to rated players is one of the worst things that happened to the game. People interested in proving they are more skilled shouldbe trying to win with the same gear as everyone else, and rated is the one thing that ought to be between people in equal gear.

I’m in favor of Conquest only for wins for the following reasons:

1. I worry that Conquest for losses will lead to more people saying “let’s just lose quickly so we can get our loser’s Conquest”. I really don’t want to see that make a comeback.

2. I think that Conquest only for wins in randoms was a factor that played a big part in justifying gear that was fully equivalent to Normal/Heroic raiding geer, thus eliminating the need to PVE to PVP. This has rarely been the case in past expansions.

Now, I do generally agree that brackets before 120, where honor makes a lot of difference because it controls the amount of experience gained, seem to work pretty well, and provide a more enjoyable experience. However, I’m not at all sure that would work the same way with a time gated gearing system. And there’s still the issue of justifying raid equivalent gear; the rated system is completely inadequate for that since it basically says that the privileged specs get the good gear and the nonprivileged specs get nothing.

I do think it’s kind of ironic that the way to get gear for losing right now is to do rated.

There are times of day when Alliance does okay, and she plays in one of them.

No it doesnt lol. By a vey small amount.

I’ve played all times. Good teams win bad teams lose.

2 Likes