Why I do NOT support the multibox ban

First and foremost, it needs to be said I am as frustrated as anyone when I run into a questing area only to see a group of multi-boxing moonkin.

Secondly, I understand the impact such a thing can have, when done en masse on player morale and the economy.

Third, I do not nor ever have multi-boxed nor ever will.

But I still cannot support the ban on, specifically, key cloning software. Here are the reasons why:

1. Warden is notoriously bad at its job. One cannot deny that every time a mass ban goes out, legitimate players are invariably swept up in the ban waves and must fight to have the action reversed. This is not only frustrating but time consuming and costly to the individual player who must contest erroneus bans. And as it relates specifically to WoW Classic, Warden is especially bad at catching and breaking things such as fly hacking: something that is clearly against TOS yet Blizzard apparently cannot do anything about it. But multiboxing is the bigger evil, apparently.

2. What comes next, if keycloning (which still requires manual player input, even on a single key) is no illegal, we must ask ourselves what might come next?

Example: if Blizzard is going to take action against manual input that allows a player to make multiple actions with a single keystroke, what about macros which are-in effect-they very same thing only minus the multiple accounts portion?

One must ask that when using things such as “one shot macros” (which I used with great abandon and joy before Blizzard broke Wreckvatar in MoP) that allow a player to preform multiple actions with a single keystroke?

Or, what about macros that require NO KEYPRESS but makes a player preform certain actions with a degree of seeming superhuman efficiency i.e. mouseover macros?

Autoloot? Okay, that requires a keypress; that is true. But looting multiple items of a single corpse?

Look, i know these points may seem ludicrous (and, for the most part, they are) but the problem is the precedent had been set: a player can now be banned for preforming an integral action in the game: pressing a key because a relative few have become a problem that Blizzard has refused to take action on. They could’ve banned the obvious farmers for player or economic disruption and life would’ve gone on.

But no. They, at the urging of again-a relative few-have now banned, at the base level, manually pressing a key. I’m no prognosticator but the precedent itself can have sweeping and deteimental effects we do not see yet if not reversed.

And while the immediate effect of not seeing huge groups of Mookin out in the open spamming Starfall will be gratifying, I don’t think many of us have looked to far beyond that to see what else could end up on the table.

26 Likes

Nah, multiboxers can still multi box. They weren’t banned.

But yes, the act should be bannable

68 Likes

“If outright cheating is now illegal what could come next?”

Well hopefully yall stop cheating and just alt-tab your multibox instead of using keystroke broadcasting software.

82 Likes

multiboxers can still multi they just can’t key clone.

I do feel bad though if they prebought a 6 month sub on like 5 accounts. supposedly blizzard rarely offers refunds on subs.

I’ve actually been refunded a sub for 2 months before on alt accounts but the play time wasn’t used and I tickeded right away after I bought.

1 Like

“Healers can still heal, they aren’t banned but mouseover macros are still cheating”

“You can still loot multiple items off a corpse but looting multiple items with a single keypress is still illegal”

And I could go on. But the point is this: if manial keystrokes are now illegal, what other actions can also be deemed illegal downstream?

Think long term and not seek short term gratification; however gratifying that may be.

Point is, there were and are other means Blizzard has at their disposal to go after legitimate disruptions without setting a bad precedent.

Sure, multi-boxers can still multibo, but how long do you think it’ll take before someone refines the system to the point it becomes as effiecient as it is now? What then? Ban /follow?

4 Likes

Using a keystroke broadcaster is cheating. Synchronized control of 6 accounts all at once is cheating. We get that you’re angry you can’t cheat anymore but somehow you’ll survive.

65 Likes

You…didn’t read the post did you?

5 Likes

Not sure where this comes from when many people can heal just fine without mouseovers.

When it comes to a resource designed to despawn for that character upon receiving it, yes it’s a problem when you can multiply your net gain to a limited resource by 5, or 10.

No no, banning /follow is silly.

Just update ToS to say one Key press is a single action on a single character

6 Likes

I read it, I just dont remotely believe you’re this passionate about being allowed to cheat and have never multiboxed.

46 Likes

Not a soul cares if you support it.

20 Likes

Pretty sure macros that accomplish multiple actions with a single keypress are already illegal?

3 Likes

they did disable follow in battle grounds to stop multiboxing in BGs. im sure if it gets bad enough again the can just do that in the rest of the game

4 Likes

I’m glad it happened. More needs to be done.

21 Likes

Wrong! It’s literally an automated command that does not require player input except for the command itself!

Kind of like, oh lets say, AoE farming on a warlock v. single target farming on a non-AoE class? Good point. BAN AOE FARMERS BLIZZ! See how this argument does not go well with enough pressure behind it?

Hahahaha.

Depends on the macro. Back in the day, “oneshot” macros were the big thimg which is why, now, everything is on the same GCD with few exceptions.

That’s unfortunate for you.

5 Likes

ban for what? you have to manually put a toon to follow then that’s it. it’s not picking stuff up. it’s not attacking. it’s not doing anything except earning xp or rep while possibly giving a useful aura.

4 Likes

Provided by the devs to the player to use. Not found on some random external software.

All classes have aoe potential, this point is idiotic. It becomes even more so by examining a multi boxer would be 5 warlocks farming vs 1 warlock. Clearly one has the damage and reward advantage.

9 Likes

Anytime you accomplish more than one thing with each press of a button you enter a grey area at best.

4 Likes

These guys lmao. Botters getting hit hard trying to burn the whole world down.

This is actually the best side effect of the changes so far.

18 Likes

karma’s a beotch!

5 Likes