Why High Elves Don't Work: A Primer

Kalec’s also a dragon. He doesnt really count, since dragons can adapt their appearance to however they wish.

1 Like

saying they are a different race doesnt make them a different race. you should add some substance or a citation to that claim

yeah but i want his blue hair color as an option. that’s a very nice color

1 Like

So races in WoW have no basis…because the word can be bent so many different ways that its nonsense? So, exactly what I said.

No, thats not how that works lol. Race and Ethnicity arent the same thing.

How about you just stop with the frequent use of inflammitory rhetoric? It would be nice.

1 Like

How does this help the helfer cause?

“A race is a grouping of [people] based on shared physical or social qualities into categories generally viewed as distinct by society.”

Emphasis added.

Source: Barnshaw, John (2008). Encyclopedia of Race, Ethnicity, and Society, Volume 1.

it doesnt thats the best part. it just proves its about skin tone not lore. they dont care where the light skin comes from

are democrat and republican voters different races too

1 Like

Actually, it is.

“A race is a grouping of [people] based on shared physical or social qualities into categories generally viewed as distinct by society.”

Emphasis added.

Source: Barnshaw, John (2008). Encyclopedia of Race, Ethnicity, and Society, Volume 1 .

I’d wager that Republicans and Democrats are divergent enough, socially, to meet all of the criterion outlined in the book I cited – so, probably not.

You attempted a “gotcha”, and it fizzled out. What now? I’m putting 5g on either you lobbing out ad hominems, or else Tarrok is going to link a super relevant YouTube video.

How about lets start with maybe recruiting the remaining High Elves into becoming Void Elves. Something that would’ve been better actually than “just a group of exiled Blood Elves”.

1 Like

“The concept of race has historically signified the division of humanity into a small number of groups based upon five criteria: (1) Races reflect some type of biological foundation, be it Aristotelian essences or modern genes; (2) This biological foundation generates discrete racial groupings, such that all and only all members of one race share a set of biological characteristics that are not shared by members of other races; (3) This biological foundation is inherited from generation to generation, allowing observers to identify an individual’s race through her ancestry or genealogy; (4) Genealogical investigation should identify each race’s geographic origin, typically in Africa, Europe, Asia, or North and South America; and (5) This inherited racial biological foundation manifests itself primarily in physical phenotypes, such as skin color, eye shape, hair texture, and bone structure, and perhaps also behavioral phenotypes, such as intelligence or delinquency.”

• Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, 2008.

The contemporary usage of race has always been for biological classification. Consider looking at it to the original races of WoW: all of them are biologically different in some way or shape. With Forsaken being the least different (since they are undead but still humans).

Your original assertion was that Worgen were a race unto themselves. Which…they aren’t…it is a curse. WHy areyou shifting the goalpost?
Why are we even discussing this when your entire argument is you trying to shove a limo into a square hole?
I am not even addressing the nonsense that is your insistence on using the term race, even though such a biological distinction does not exist in any sense and WoW does not even use it in such a notion.

Not for WoW.

Utilizing a textbook definition only provides the basic information and ignores the deeper understanding which necessitates it.

1 Like

How about the fact that Blood Elves and High Elves can actually be different “subraces”?

They can’t be called different sub-races when they all literally come from the kingdom of quel’thalas in origin.

2 Likes

Subraces dont exist in WoW.

1 Like

Subraces are generally considered lesser groups within a main race/species. However, even these subgroups can be considered separate races or species themselves in some cases.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Race

Which has been dropped, since subraces hasnt returned since RPG. Its all race now.

Like where you miss the part where it says “the different troll tribes are different subraces, but have been interchangeable as being seperate races.”

1 Like

well there is at least, some half elf lore, versus void elves who had no lore other than their time as blood elves, which isn’t bad mind you, it’s just not as comprehensive as some of the others. and velf lore frankly, doesnt make much sense. haha. how we gonna make more if it was an accident, not meant to be repeated. no idea where we’re getting new ones, unless we’re producing new ones via procreation, in which case, gotta wait till their grown up to represent. its all so sad, honestly.

what was so bad about making new races that were playable core races, with their own zones and whatnot.

I don’t believe it’s a reasonable thing to ask for, I just don’t think Blizzard is going to go back and change their story because a few people aren’t happy with the Void Elf story.
Now how about answering my question, how is giving Void Elves a look EVEN closer to Blood Elves going to help the helfer cause?

1 Like