Why High Elves Don't Work: A Primer

The importance people place on high elves is at best, hyperbole. They’ve never had their own solo narrative going on in the same way other playable races have done.

I agree. Yes, it’s important to the people who want them, and for some it’s really important. I try hard not to discount the importance of their ask from their perspective. Those people who want this to happen exert a visible force of opinion.

At the same time though, like a physics experiment, there is (from what we can see around here, which is the only evidence readily available) a countervailing force of opinion from people for whom it’s important that this not happen…and for some of them it’s really important. And so, the issue itself sits unresolved and unmoved…held in stasis by opposing forces.

With very very few exceptions, people’s minds are not going to be changed by arguments from people on the other side of the debate…and so, without further ado:"

3 Likes

You’re a night elf, you’re very much my enemy. You shall now die.

Oh Murg, I always love your gif’s.

Neither have a good amount of ARs, but that’s not the important part, High Elves could easily have a story going forward, instead of the scattered stories they’ve had.

In my opinion, High Elves have had more development and story than Gnomes, who’s only “solo adventure” thus far has been retaking half of their city.

4 Likes

This is untrue. The Alliance would not exist without the Gnomes, and the story of the Gnomes is well covered outside of the game. They deserve a lot more credit than people grant them.

I think you’ll find it’s held in stasis by Blizzard. I dunno about you, but I don’t get invited to too many of the development meetings.

Ok, ok, yes - I was just trying to dodge the “Burn Ion at the stake and then we’ll get them!” stuff.

1 Like

The exact same could be said for High Elves, just because you’re biased doesn’t make this untrue.

The big difference is that we’ve seen and played the WoW high elf narrative in the Alliance, in game. While the only thing I can remember of Gnomes is their scenario.

Just because they have a big technological/waring impact in the Alliance, does not mean they have gotten just as much time in the spotlight as High Elves have, even if that much has been tiny.

1 Like

Would Ion even melt on a stake? I’d have thought you’d need a furnace or something.

1 Like

No…it really couldn’t dude. The contributions from the high elves has always been an extreme minimal because they were so unwilling to assist the alliance in WC2, WC3. Their contribution in game has largely been quest givers.
No Gnomes = no techology = can’t fight the Horde on equal terms.

This is a shifting of the goal posts.
You went from “well the high elves contributed more” to “they’ve had thespotlight more.”
Maybe in game? It is wrong, however, to suggest the Alliance story lends itself more greatly to the high elves than the gnomes.

2 Likes

That’s why I said they’d become profoundly important fixtures for those players. A group doesn’t need to have a crucial role in the overarching narrative to be a valuable addition (i.e. Vulpera, Mechagnomes).

That’d be because they’re not playable, Jim.

5 Likes

Except for it isn’t, as High Elves have been a part of many of our major patches and quest givers, even if a tiny bit, it’s more than Gnomes have had, I don’t need a Hordie to tell me what I’ve seen in my 15 years of playing this game on the Alliance. :man_shrugging:

If your only contribution for stoking the flames the Gnomes dont have is that “Behind the scenes, their technological contribution has meant more”, then you don’t have a contribution, as seeing and actually interacting with High Elves throughout this game, has and does mean more as an Alliance player than flying and crashing a Gnome helicopter for a single quest.

5 Likes

Indeed.

I’d still contend that the narrative would improve, even if just slightly, by implementing an addition High Elf variant on the Alliance and an additional Night Elf variant on the Horde.

This would highlight the specific reasons why the people of Quel’thalas/Darnassus joined their respective factions, while also demonstrating that their circumstances were truly unique (and that, in the absence of said circumstances, it would be more typical for High Elves to lean Alliance and Night Elves to lean Horde).

Though, of course, they shouldn’t worry about this at all for the time being – but this is how I’d conceptualize the roster looking forward 5 years or so.

1 Like

So one nerubian said species.

Where does wow and the devs consistently use species to explain the player races? Otherwise your playing with semantics.

They consistently use race with the player races. They don’t tell you that orcs and humans are the same race or that they’re different species. They say race.

A Dev and chronicle say the nightborne are different. The game states it too.

2 Likes

Mate, don’t bother. The dev said species and despite any claims to the contrary that’s canon.

3 Likes

Eh fine. I gotta cook anyhow.

Get amongst it big fella.

Wait, who? what? where? when? why?