Why High Elves Don't Work: A Primer

If we’re going to play this semantic game, nobody mentioned race either until you chimed in – the misinformed poster above merely said “blue-eyed Blood Elves”.

When someone says they find the idea of blue-eyed Blood Elves on the Alliance boring, it’s absolutely reasonable to presume they’re thinking about the model.

1 Like

No it’s not.

No matter how much you tweak the model it’s still a blue eyed blood elf.

That’s what that race is.

2 Likes

Here, I think you missed something:

Emphasis added.

3 Likes

“No matter how much you tweak the model it’s still a white-eyed Night Elf.”

See what I did there? We can all make silly, disingenuous posts if that is what you’re interested in today.

3 Likes

It’s not though.

Nightborne aren’t physiologically the same race as night elves.

You can keep throwing around the word disingenuous if you like, but you can’t change the reality of what high elves are.

1 Like

I’d prefer high elves to have their own model and be separate from void elves.

2 Likes

They were physiologically altered by the Nightwell, but absolutely nothing in the game indicates they’re new or distinct species – nor does anything indicate that the aforementioned alterations are permanent.

• To the first point, this is most probably why people refer to them by their culturally-derived demonym (“Nightborne”), and not a racially-derived colloquialism (which would, in all likelihood, be “Night Elf”).

• To the second point, it’s entirely plausible that in the absence of the Nightwell the Nightborne will eventually be indistinguishable from Night Elves.

I’d even posit that using the term “plausible” is being generous, considering that in almost every instance whereby magic was the catalyst for a group of people changing, physiologically, when that magic is no longer present they revert to their previous state.

And you can stick your head in the sand, but you can’t change the reality of what Nightborne are. :man_shrugging:

The abridged version:

The Nightborne have been physiologically altered by the Nigthwell, but there is good reason to believe these alterations aren’t permanent – and, furthermore, they’re most likely indistinguishable from standard Night Elves at a biological level.

3 Likes

Blizzcon 2015, Legion Interview, 49:19:

4 Likes

Is that the same Blizzcon where they said we would never, ever, see World of Warcraft: Classic? :laughing:

What is said outside of the published works, regardless of who is saying it, is to be taken with a grain of salt – published material is the only material that matters.

Or better yet, make a scenario that kills it for good. Have the High Elves go through something to make em Void Elves like the rest. Never again use High elves in the game (except in the case of showing some in Quel’Thalas as horde not alliance, kinda a some came back and we’re showing it thing.) and go on to only use Void Elves on the Alliance side going forward. Leave it just Blood and Void.

3 Likes

I can keep providing more references. It’s also explicitly stated in Chronicles 3. Want me to find the page for you?

1 Like

Wait, hold on.

What I really want, is for you to re-read this:

(Emphasis added.)

And then explain how citing to a BlizzCon interview is relevant to my assertion?

Sure.

2 Likes

I am glad you are being honest about your behavior.

Why are we pretending that the Nightborne aren’t a separate race? What does this have to do with High Elves/Blood Elves?

Once more, for the cameras, please.

You mean…besides the fact that the cutscene from Thalssyra states she changed and apparently, the newest chronicles states they are a new race?
Why are we going backwards in the discussion?

1 Like

Oh I see.

My reference is from an on-the-record statement by a dev and Chronicles. Not in the game.

You sure proved me wrong. With a meaningless word game. Cool?

1 Like

The BE’s state “they changed”, too, doesn’t indicate that they’re a distinct species. Try again.

1 Like