Why High Elves Don't Work: A Primer

Some are, but you also have those that serve in the Alliance, Serve With the Kirin tor, Some Live along side Alliance Races, Most All High elves we can agree both Sin’dorei and Alliance High Elves have a sense of duty to what they believe in. There are always a few bad apples in the basket.

1 Like

Then you are saying that because they aren’t different enough for you, you just don’t want to use the names they themselves use?

It comes across as what you believe should be overrides what is. And in practical terms, High and Blood Elves are just different groups, even if that difference is political and ideological. You might think it’s negligible, yet it still exists.

On this one I plenty disagree. Much has been made about how the Blood Elves had to adopt a new survivalist mindset to survive, how they broke old taboos. Blood Elves are just not the same culturally than the Thalassian Elves were before the Fall because of the whole decimation of their people and resulting cultural trauma.

To say Blood Elves just changed their name really minimizes the strife they went to.

And of course, the Modern High Elves are as or even more removed from that original culture by reason of being assimilated into humanity, but I do feel you are clearly dismissing how much the Blood Elves had to adapt to survive.

1 Like

No, more of because I as a human have so much patience, I am not going to take into account the feelings of pixel elves when it comes to typing about them and how many keystrokes I use.

As I said, new chapter in the book. They are still the same individuals they were in WC2 and 3, they are rebuilding their civilization after disaster. And yes, they made some harsh choices to survive, but that seems to have been dropped after the main crisis driving that had been solved.

I would say that’s a point against playable high elves. That presents them as not a cohesive group, but a sprinkling of flavor to human civilization.

1 Like

The most likely answer lies somewhere between both.

This is precisely the type of storyline you’d see expanded in an Unlock Scenario (we saw basically the same question answered in the Void Elf and Nightborne Unlock Scenario’s).

I couldn’t agree more.

1 Like

A sprinkling of flavor layered atop human potential is basically all of the playable races on the Alliance. Par for the course, IMHO.

If they end up wanting to do it, they’ll do it. I’m more just backing up my feeling that I don’t think that the two groups have split culturally to the point where one or both of them has completely turned their back on the other.

Could be worse, apparently Tauren have so little lore that we had to borrow something from the void elves just to get a heritage questline.

But you are not talking to pixel elves, you are talking with other real people about them. One would hope everyone wants their point to come across clearly and as intended.

That doesn’t mean they have or should regress to a Pre-Fall culture, just that they are moving into a more positive direction which is good and I love. But it’s tantamount as to saying that the New Horde is the same as the Old Horde, and they didn’t even change their name.

Change is good, and for some reason I can’t help the feeling that a lot of the sentiment of “Blood Elves are High Elves” is rooted into a traditionalist view that does not accept that Blood Elves have changed, that does not think change is good.

I would say that it adds immense potential to see an actual hybridized cultural identity from a group like the Silver Covenant, which are ostensibly Dalarani populace and would have a culture as different as Gilnean and Kul Tirans have from other humans.

High Elves as a whole are not a cohesive group indeed, but each major group of them as a distinct cultural identity based on their current location, and that is ripe with potential.

I don’t know if High Elves will ever be a thing considering that Blizzard gave us Classic WoW after us asking them for years with a resounding “no” and laughing Everytime.

But, you void elves are welcome here in the Alliance. We have a stable government that doesn’t fall apart every two seconds, and our rulers are fair unlike the Horde.

1 Like

We agree on this.

The leaders of all involved parties (BE’s, HE’s, VE’s) present as an in-crowd, a group of spoiled and interrelated elites that settle their personal squabbles by engaging in political conquest and warfare – at the expense of their general populations.

Which is crazy, considering that at least half of the expansions released have some amount of Tauren-related lore they could’ve pulled from to create an interesting scenario.

My headcanon, of let’s say, the Silver Covenant residing on a human city? Of said human city having a large population of elves? Or the High Elves that spent the last 20ish years living in outland on an alliance settlement? And not to mention the smattering of High Elves that we see in other human cities.

Like do you realize these are facts that you can literally see in game, not made up by me, right?

Also I don’t even know what the army of the light is even doing in this point wtf

1 Like

Firstly, thank you :slight_smile:

And while I’d ultimately be on board for turning the SC into Void Elves, I’d much rather the SC be used in a scenario in which they pass on the torch to their descendants, Half Elves. To me Half Elves are pretty much High Elves with a different name. They’re still magically gifted and embrace ranger culture, but being only half of an elf solves the biggest problem facing High Elves as an allied race; the fact that every Thalassian elf has the same culture and comes from the same kingdom

2 Likes

Quel’danil need to be playable for the alliance.

3 Likes

Point. And just as much, once it is clear that someone is referring to the collective group arguing about the modern small group is just avoiding the actual issue.

I rather think it is rooted in a more straightforward view that these are the same individual elves that they were before the name change. And while they face hardship and changed their name, they did not lose their identity.

Eh, I was going off more of the use of assimilation, which speaks more of adopting the majority culture to the point of abandoning the culture you came from.

And meh, I’m on the side though that after MoP that the SC is much more of a violent extremist group of dalaran elves than simply a militia. Maybe they can change, but I feel ignoring that history would be a disservice.

Is there that much lore as opposed to “Hey look, they’ve got Tauren with different heads/antlers here!” and then just kinda having a similar culture with some differences (other than the Yaungol) But I’ll stop now, I can go on rants after the whole Speaker to the Earthmother Azeroth mess

1 Like

They are accepted for what they are, people like, but they are not accepted as the replacement of what was and still asked for. Feels like a empty addition. Turning blue is a ugly reminder of that.(imho)

I still like void elves, but I don’t think the void elves are the “replacement” for high elves.

1 Like

no point in arguing with him. desperate to prove ‘high’ elf presence, just last night he claimed the SC(who are dalaran aligned) are still stationed in crystalsong forest from wrath to this day. i guess tirion is still hosting his tournament to find the strongest champions as well

The Silver Covenant is Dalaran aligned?

They are part of the armed forces of the Alliance. Dalaran is a neutral faction.

But don’t you think that in an argument about differentiation itself, entering by deciding to call everyone High Elf you are just antagonizing the opposite side by saying they are not different enough to be called -differently? The conversation itself can be very interesting, but it feels like it’s very easy to come across as stubborn when ultimately, this should be… fun.

But it evolved nonetheless, and it kinda dismisses the whole notion of who we are AS a topic of discussion. Are we who we are or are we constantly changing? What does it mean to have to adapt after trauma, are you the same person? And I do feel that a lot of this view of “they are the same” roots itself in legitimacy issues rather than exploring far more interesting identity ones.

The Forsaken are also literally the same people they have always been, they just changed tremendously. Does their current condition make them less legitimate than Blood Elves?

And really, I do think a lot of this point comes across about being more about legitimacy, as if the Blood Elves were in danger of being usurped somehow. Which is ridiculous.

Honestly the SC was at its most interesting at its most violent. That expansion is what really made me want High Elves to be playable, because they showed us the true potential of a dissident political group going off. But with Vereesa mellowing out and now thinking BE’s can be redeemed and rejoin the alliance -and let’s be real, being absent from BfA- it feels the levels of hostility have sadly lowered too much. Like Alleria, they will try to convince them to rejoin the Alliance now.

As for how assimilated they would be, it could be up for grabs. Even if we suppose they are completely assimilated -I don’t buy that personally but let’s go for it- it still about Dalarani culture and identity, something not currently playable

Christ, Rhonin, sorry, was in class.

They both start with R.

Now you are outright lying, Fyre? I said that we don’t know if they are still there, could be, but that we can’t claim either case because we think it’s logical. Because you claimed for a fact they had left.

1 Like