Why High Elves Don't Work: A Primer

No, I am simply stating that everything the OP said was factual to the current stance that “Playable High Elves for the Alliance” finds itself in.

2 Likes

Then explain how you have missed the constant presence of the High Elves as alliance members, forces, envoys, emissaries and liaisons through all the expansions

1 Like

You are still saying what is ostensibly an opinion piece is “factual” tho.

1 Like

How is it an opinion, when it’s been the Developer’s stance from the get-go? Not to mention, everything in the OP… Is derived from multiple entirely valid, factual sources. Sorry that the OP’s post upsets you man, that’s just how it is. Bottom line is that the High Elves that are loosely affiliated here and there with the Alliance, who aren’t called Blood Elves, are simply not cohesive enough as a people, have no standing government, are too similar in every conceivable way to the Blood Elves, that they simply won’t be a playable race–Even on the Alliance.

Be happy you got Void Elves and be done with it. This entire topic has raged on since TBC and it’s the most deadly beaten horse on these entire forums.

2 Likes

You mean, during 8.2.5 when it became Sylvanas vs Everyone else? If she wanted to provide support, why did she not do so during 8.0, 8.1, and 8.2?
Why was it she only provided support once the Horde and Alliance came together to out Sylvanas like they did for outing Grommash in MoP?

It is mostly because we don’t know if those high elf mages were SC, or if they are originally 7th legion and so on and so forth.

TIenes mas sentido cuando no estas siendo obtuso.

Save the dramatics, it gets old after awhile. Vareesa has been written out in the book as a character who may believe in following the Alliance, but also understands the choices and actions the Blood elves have taken. This is similar to why she accepts Sylvanas despite the changes that occurred to her at the hands of Arthas as well as the choices Sylvanas makes shortly after.
Unlike Sylvanas, or Alleria, both of which have hard line stances in the factions they choose to serve. Alleria blatantly tries to bring the Blood elves into the Alliance, Vareesa makes no such effort. Alleria hates the Horde because of the orcs, Vareesa understands why the blood elves went Horde.

You mean MoP where Rommath died and she followed Jaina around during her grief and explained such afterwards in books?
I mean shoot, if you want to go that route, she doesn’t say “For the alliance” in Legion and I believe she doesn’t say it during the 8.2.5 matter either.

Except that the high elves are being assimilated, and even prior to this it was stated that the high elves were dying out and their only legacy was one of regret. This is your interpretation of the matter but it is very clear that the high elves have no propensities in continuing the thalassian elf legacy.

Nope. You’re a druid that turns into a deer. You said shots fired.
That was me shooting.
I missed.

2 Likes

Eh, when I do it and I’m not being completely lazy, I try and separate by capitalization, lower case for the whole group.

I dunno about the obfuscation, I think it’s as much a distortion of the issue when people try to massively separate the two groups. They are all still the same race after all, and it feels like some people over exaggerate the differences to try and present them as much more significant than they are.

And there’s a bit of difference between going “oh, so you mean to refer to the Thalassian elves as a whole when you said high elf” and attacking the argument as dishonest once it is made clear that it was being used in place of a term like Thalassian.

2 Likes

Oh shoot… so whoosh on me then. :stuck_out_tongue:

So your answer is literally “No they aren’t opinions they are facts”, when they are clearly, obviously opinions? Are you sure?

Every opinion on the primer has been contested multiple times with other arguments. The only fact there is that the developers don’t want to make HE’s playable.

A large portion of that post is supported by facts.
Such as the argument about classic servers.
Classic servers had multiple pirate servers that were substantial in size. You don’t have much having the same for high elves.

But the point IS that they are different groups, whatever massive distance you think actually recognizing them by their different names is on you. We can say humans to refer to all of them and say Lordaeronian or Gilnean to be specific, it really shouldn’t be hard to ask for more specificity when the whole issue is about nuance.

Honestly it comes across as using language to minimize the difference, when the difference itself is part of the game lore itself. The Blood Elves renamed themselves, yet some people still call them High Elves.

They exist? Great! Amazing!

I agree with the OP though. What would adding HEs to the alliance accomplish?

Answer: Nothing. Absolutely nothing. There is no difference between them and the blood elves except for their eyes. They would do nothing for us except add more elves, which we already have a metric ton of.

Pick anything else. We don’t need more elves.

Even J.R.R Tolkien would vomit if he saw this many elves.

2 Likes

Is that even on the Primer?

So you just don’t want more elves, and admit you just don’t understand what HE’s would represent on the alliance as a playable race because you fail to understand the compelling aspect of political dissidence within a race to the point it makes them fall on opposing factions.

“High Elves bring nothing new” is the example of opinion of someone who lacks vision because for some reason all you are seeing is the model and have not a single care for anything related to the actual lore of the game.

But sure, let’s bring Tolkien here for some reason, let’s see if it somehow distracts people of the actual story and narrative alliance High Elves have.

1 Like

And the argument is HOW different they are.

A race/group/culture is not a monolithic thing that is all or nothing. There are subcultures that can just be tangential stuff like music or art appreciation groups, or they can be about the big issues with political parties, religious sects and so on. Those latter groups CAN become large enough to split a culture, but they can also remain overall united with the other groups but just willing to get into heated arguments about how their way is right.

And some of this comes down to how we as players read the issue. I feel that the story presents them much more alike than different than other people do so I feel like the differences get exaggerated for effect, and you may feel I dismiss the differences you see.

And my feeling is that while yes, they did change their name to honor their past they did not change their being. They are what they were before just with a new word.

1 Like
  • The premise utilized for the explanation of Point 1 is that physiological distinction is the only way in which one group can differ from another – this is actually demonstrably false, just within the game itself (i.e. there isn’t any surefire method of distinguishing, physiologically, between the Warsong Clan and the Frostwolf Clan… yet, we know they’re distinct from one another.).

• The premise utilized for the explanation of Point 2 is agreeable enough.

• The premise utilized for the explanation of Point 3 is that High Elves and Blood Elves have shared history – the explanation attempts to anchor the readers’ attention onto the fact that all history prior to the Second War is identical, and therefore High Elves haven’t experienced anything unique onto themselves. Interesting, it specifically downplays the fact that the schism effectively begins in Year 6 and continues to exist through the Year 33 (and the clock is still running).

• The premise utilized for the explanation of Point 4 is agreeable enough.

• The premise utilized for the explanation of Point 5 attempts to equivocate being intolerant to specific foodstuffs with being intolerant of the wholesale slaughter of other living beings. It’d be a funny joke, if so many people weren’t agreeing with such a ludicrous comparison.

Look, I know you originally read these points and were so thoroughly enamored by them that you attempted to convince an entire thread of people that they were Blizzard’s official position – but, frankly, they’re just one persons opinion on where things stand.

You mean your head-cannon? The stuff you and the pro-HE community just made up? Because in the game all high elves except for a very, very few members of the Kirin Tor and the Army of the Light either became blood elves, became undead, or died.

2 Likes

Question to be asked though from the High Elves point view did the Sin’dorei break honor/duty by joining Horde? Thus influencing why the High Elves did not rejoin the Sin’dorei

The problem here is that you fail to make the simple connection that while Vereesa has learned to be sympathetic to the BE’s, SHE STILL BELIEVES THEY BELONG IN THE ALLIANCE

I literally said that the For the Alliance was a MoP line.

She still says she “lost a husband and a king…” in 7.1

It’s always funny when people bring the info of the encyclopedia, which was created before the introduction of the Silver Covenant in WotLK.

1 Like

I think you mean Rohnin.

I was scratching my head bc I’m sure Rommath is still alive unless I missed something.

Possibly, the way they are presented it seems there are many groups, some like the pirates who just want to be left alone. I don’t think there is one answer for all the various High Elf groups.

But does that disagreement on the horde rise to the level where the High Elves believe themselves to no longer be the same people, or just the part of the people who are right?

I mean when you look at the larger groups that an AR could pull from there’s no real declaration that they are separate, quite the opposite, there’s stuff like Auric talking about how the Children of Silvermoon will have to join together, or the one sister talking about how she wishes the Blood Elves will redeem themselves. There still seems to be a desire for a unification, just an argument on who the allies are.