Why has wrath become so toxic?

As it stands i leveled a new paladin tank on grob. I got full 232 badge gear with the offset items from heroics and cant to save my life get into a normal icc even tho i am defense capped and have 35k hp unbuffed, people are telling me i should do gammas which are terrible and not fun in my opinion to get 245ish gear to do a raid that was made to be cleared in 232 gear…

And sadly no guilds are active and looking for a tank even if its on a casual basis…ill never understand this whole gearscore obsession which makes people prefer i as a tank wear subpar gear such as pvp gear because its a higher ilvl

Disclaimer since people dont get it based on the info i am speaking about icc10 normal

14 Likes

for Tank it is more important than DPS to have decent gear so the healers don’t have a rough time or go OOM
the first few bosses are easy but past that you may want some more HP and avoidance, remember there is 20% less dodge.

7 Likes

Not to say your complaints are wrong, but this isn’t anything new. People have always been obsessed with gearscore. “LFM VOA 5.5k GS link achievement” became a meme for a reason

6 Likes

Hasn’t Wrath always been toxic? I seem to remember forum posts from when it first release of people complaining about not being allowed into leveling dungeon groups if they weren’t in full sunwell gear(or at least brutal glad)

4 Likes

A mid ilevel tank is a bit worse to have than a mid ilevel dps or heal. Overall I wish people could chill in wrath and casuals could just get 5 badges a day for their gear and eventually get frost badge gear.

Until then once cata drops it will only get worse as the raids are a bit more difficult as is the trend in wow sometimes there is a easy raid sometimes harder but generally sod should keep us until whatever is next.

2 Likes

Wrath was an awesome expansion but it definitely changed when the Gearscore addon came out as well as RDF during patch 3.3

but to be honest people don’t want people with bad gear or don’t know how to do the raids, since they would get locked all week to a fail pug

2 Likes

35k is a bit on the low side (that’s probably about 42-44k buffed). Normal 25man Marrowgar’s bone slice hits for about 23k every 1.2 seconds (when only split between two tanks, he can also just melee on a swing instead of bone slice, so you get some windows of reprieve). You’d probably have to bring a third tank to help soak at that point.

So it might be a bit rough for 25man. However, 10 man he hits for about 9k. So it’s probably a lot more manageable in a 10 man group. And then you can start getting some gear that way :slight_smile:

7 Likes

I hate to say it, but it was like that back when wrath was new, many many years ago. Couldn’t raid unless you had a gear score higher than the loot it dropped.

3 Likes

Im only interested in 10 man but being constantly denied now im using a dps trinket and pvp belt and weapon to artificially raise my ilvl to make thier gear score meme happy instead of actual tank pieces

3 Likes

Unironically, PVP weapon is a good weapon. I also use DPS trinkets, but I also have other tank gear that allows me the flexibility to use DPS trinkets.

If you’re looking to tank raids you need to get the best gear you can, not just stop and say “this is good enough.” You then go on to say there’s no guilds looking for a tank, well maybe go damage instead then, which is also generally less demanding.

A 232 tank dumpstering 9 peoples lockout because they could have done more but didn’t, would be the only toxic thing here.

6 Likes

WotLK is considered “toxic” because you can’t get into a raid group when you’ve been given a way to get invites (Gamma dungeons), but you don’t like doing them … so everyone else is the problem.

Riiight. It’s the game’s fault. Makes complete sense.

Quick! To the forums!!

These sock puppet threads are hilarious. 90% of the time the OP’s don’t even respond passed the initial post and just rock the boat to get everyone else riled up.

3 Likes

Ah I see you have chosen to side with the greenskins, thats too bad, we could really use another fury warrior for our raid roster!

Get into TOGC first maybe? seems like you try to skip content but people aren’t letting you.

2 Likes

I dont need 245 gear to do icc 10 normal, it was designed for 232 geared players and no one does the older raids, i shouldnt be expected to dump several days into gearing up in gammas for a raid that was ment to be done with what i have, you are the toxic one

2 Likes

35k hp unbuffed defense capped and have around 97% avoidance i decided to do the rep runs and was a solo tank tanking 2 bone giants and survived np so yea

I’m not your RL or in your raid. You don’t have to explain it to me.

EDIT: I wish you the best of luck regardless.

EDIT 2: 97%. Good news is there’s room for growth. Plenty of options. I’d be hard looking for TOGC. T9 could prove useful on Fester.

1 Like

Are you trying for 10m or 25m? 10m your gear is fine. 25m however… you’re going to struggle with 35k hp- especially in PuGs.

1 Like

You’re definitely fine for 10m. Wasn’t sure if you were trying 25m… but 10m, yup. You’ll have no trouble tanking.